Offshore 09/26/20 - 302/371

PENN

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Left from Sea World Marina at 4am with @Benny Mora and first mate Ace (Black Lab) on Jason's @Smitty619vt 20'Sea Pro cc (Ace in the Hull).

Got a scoop of so so bait, headed towards the 302 Found a nice paddy on the 9 at grey light but it was empty. Got to the 302, water temp was 72. Trolled cedar plug and DTX minnow thru dolphins, no strikes. Wind was decent, smaller swell in this area. No other signs of fish, so we trolled the area and glassed for paddies/birds/surface activity.

With nothing happening in that area, we pointed the bow to the 371 and pulled in the trollers. Continued to glass on the way but saw nothing.

Get to 371, trolled the same there, found a big empty paddy 2 miles SE of the high spot. Water was 67 there. Worked the paddy for a few drifts for nada and didn't mark fish on it. Trolled past the pens making sure to stay at least 1000' feet away.

Not much going on and water kept getting colder down to 65 degrees. Wanted to go to the Upper Hidden, but wind was up more then and the rollers were bigger (5-6'), so we bailed on that plan after about 15 minutes and worked our way NE back towards warmer water.

That's when we started to find nice paddy after nice paddy. We thought our luck was going to change with each one spotted. We found all but one to be empty, but couldnt get a bite (flylined nose hook and butt hooked, sinker rig, colt snipers, irons, chunked, and chummed live bait)

Trolled to through the Coronado Canyon ond once we got to a mid spot between the north island and 302, we had to make a decision to hit the warmer water/better weather conditions at 302 or cut our losses and fish the North Island. Asked for reports at the 302 and all replies indicated nothing changed for the better.

With our bait mostly dead, we accepted defeat offshore and fell back on the Nados at 1:30 or so. Fished North island, caught 6 keeper Bonito, several short Calico, and Jason caught a big ass Triggerfish. Mostly everything was caught on Colt Snipers (so much so that we started trolling them with good success), one or 2 fish came on the flyline, and a couple fish on the hookup baits.

At about 3:30 we headed to Mission Bay with surprisingly good conditions. Made it to the harbor going 25 mph all the way and barely needed our foul weather gear. While mother nature gave us the middle finger offshore, she threw us a bone and gave us a fast and dry ride home which was appreciated.

There weren't a lot of quality radio reports, and the Dana Landing fuel guy also said most people he spoke with didn't have a good day. Sounded like most private boaters sharing intel were catching rat YT (no thanks), Dodos, or Skipjack. Gonna make poke bowls with the Bonito we caught.

Hope this info helps. We didn't take any pictures but should have taken one of the triggerfish. Still was a great day on the water with good buddies and a cool dog. Conditions were bumpy but much better than the past 3 Saturdays.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Same story for us.

We found 1 patty that had excellent marks but couldn't get them to go. I don't know why the forecasts didn't tell us it was going to be surf city out there as well.

Didn't bother calling your boat since I had nothing good to report. You might have heard me ask someone for an update on the 302.

Next time.

Upvote 0
    Jul 6, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Tyler Durden
    Boat
    Project Mayhem
    Short version: You are very very lucky to catch anything right now within private boat range.

Long version: We left MB and headed to to the N9, 182, and finally the 43. Stopped on numerous patties. Lots of really nice looking ones. All we found were rat yt. The biggest being trout size. At the 43, out of sheer boredom we dropped down and managed to load the boat with rock fish. This kind of saved the day. The rockfish are bigger out there...like 2-3X bigger than inshore. Fished our way back....lots and lots of patties. All very nice. All completely dry. Wish I had better news, but I think we need a storm down south or something to push more warm water up here or something.

Upvote 0

longboard85

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Short version: You are very very lucky to catch anything right now within private boat range.

Long version: We left MB and headed to to the N9, 182, and finally the 43. Stopped on numerous patties. Lots of really nice looking ones. All we found were rat yt. The biggest being trout size. At the 43, out of sheer boredom we dropped down and managed to load the boat with rock fish. This kind of saved the day. The rockfish are bigger out there...like 2-3X bigger than inshore. Fished our way back....lots and lots of patties. All very nice. All completely dry. Wish I had better news, but I think we need a storm down south or something to push more warm water up here or something.
    Yea the rockfishing at the 43 is good right now!!:D

Upvote 0
    Jul 6, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Tyler Durden
    Boat
    Project Mayhem
    You can bottom fish at the 43? Or was that sarcasm--I never can tell.

no, you really can. When we first dropped down it was like 350ft, and we caught some of the biggest sand dabs I've seen in my life. I looked at the chartplotter and said I think it gets shallower up here, let's see if we can catch something more interesting. We reset in around 250' and caught the biggest rock fish I've seen in my life. Buddy pulled a whitefish that looked like a YT, about 8#. We did that for a couple hours....

Upvote 0

Smitty619vt

Oct 24, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    Sea Pro 21
    Great report!

The bontia from the islands made some great sriracha, wasabi poke bites with some fresh tomatoes and cucumber from the back yard garden. The triggers fish is soaking in a spicy lemon Ceviche.

Man, it's starting to feel like the 2020 off shore fishing season is at the end for small boats.

I'm just glad lobster season is right around the corner 🤙

20200920_172641.jpg

Upvote 0

CURVEFINDER

If they be Biten Go Get M
    Aug 23, 2006
    PALM DESERT
    Name
    TOM
    Boat
    21 GRADY WHITE
    The 43 fathom spot is a protected area you’re not allowed to fish rockfish there is what I was told
    Been there done that excellent taco meat but watch your back

Reactions: SaltH20Angler
    Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Wondering how many of us realized we may have fished in a restricted area just from the incredible size of the fish being caught.

I... I mean a friend of mine... fished in Palos Verdes in some thick kelp once years ago and after catching some behemoth Calicos started putting 1 +1 together... moments later we (I mean he) got the hell out of there.

One of the benefits of this site is helping each other learn where, where not, what, and what not to catch. The truth is the regs are not always clear and/or interpreted the same by all.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Smitty619vt
    Upvote 0

tunachazr

Dec 25, 2007
    San Jacinto Ca
    Name
    gary bennett
    Boat
    not yet
    Great report!

The bontia from the islands made some great sriracha, wasabi poke bites with some fresh tomatoes and cucumber from the back yard garden. The triggers fish is soaking in a spicy lemon Ceviche.

Man, it's starting to feel like the 2020 off shore fishing season is at the end for small boats.

I'm just glad lobster season is right around the corner 🤙

View attachment 1205416
    that looks awesome

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    But, but, but we were flylining! Yeah, that's it; that's the ticket!

Actually did catch a good sized boccacio while flyling for bluefin once in the 1970s. San Clemente Island, on the anchor in the gray. Very disappointing and had to retie to start the day.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0