08/29/20 – 9 Mile Bank and the Nados

PENN

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    After not being able to get out for a month plus, I met up with @Benny Mora in Corona at 2am Saturday morning and made the drive down to San Diego to meet @Smitty619vt (Jason) and his First Mate Ace (Awesome Black Lab) at the Sea Word Marina. This was our first time meeting or fishing with Jason but knew we would have a great day as we were communicating with him via phone/text earlier that week. We loaded up Jason's 21’ Sea Pro CC (Ace in the Hull) from Mission Bay at 4am. Made it to the bait barge (no line) and scooped up some decent dines then pointed to the bow in the dark to the lower/middle 9 mile bank.

As the trip approached, we anticipated snotty conditions which can make the paddy hunting pretty awful so we all agreed the best plan would be to take a look around the 9 to see if we could get a little lucky on a paddy then head on down to the islands. We saw the Dodo count was increasing earlier that week and also knew that any paddy could be holding YT. Friday night, our good buddy @reel therapy gave us some good intel that there were some good-sized YT being caught at the Nados. The dope he gave us also showed that a couple of decent grade BFT were also caught that day (Friday). Based on the conditions, we felt this plan would give us a better chance at being successful catching the right kind of fish. Turns out the whether wasn't too bad at all.

After we made it to the middle/south 9 mile bank, we came across a few incredible looking kelp paddies and gave them a try for a few minutes each for nada. The first paddy was a nice 6x6, but the next 2 were double or triple garage door sized and looked really fishy with a bunch of birds on them. We fly-lined dines, threw colt snipers, and irons at them for about 10-15 minutes each for nothing. I think we marked a couple of fish on one of them, but we didn’t want to spend too much time on the paddies if they were not going to produce. My experience is that if you don’t get bit in the first 5-10 minutes on a paddy, then it’s unlikely to produce.

20200829_070822.jpg

20200829_070252.jpg

We eventually get to Pukey Point and decided that we are going to skip that area and start at the south/west point of the south island. We get to that area start a drift, marked fish, and immediately started decking quality Calicos (avg. 3-4 pounds). I am all for catch and release on the ones that are slow to grow, but my wife has been wanting to make fresh cevechi and I made my mind up that I was going to bring home some meat, whether bass or rockfish to make Mama happy. We were catching them on the Jr. yo-yo iron (scrambled egg), and the hook-up baits… yeah, I know… fuck hook up baits… (but they do catch don't they).

Not only were we catching great grade Calicos on that drift, but we also caught several different rock-fish (released), a huge whitefish that I thought was a smaller grade YT when it hit the deck, as well as a short Lingcod, the bluest I have ever caught (released). Sorry boys, we didn’t take pictures of the fish after being caught as they were nothing you haven’t seen before (apart from the Lingcod). That drift ended up being the best action all day. Ace was such a good dog, he stayed out of the way, barked at the knotheads who could care less, and barked with joy in a celebratory manner every time a fish was decked. I literally forgot he was on board with us several times.

Resized_20200829_090023.jpg

When the bite died, we reset and caught a couple here and there, but no YT and nothing spectacular so we moved around the lee side of the south island. We trolled rapalas, and slow trolled dines until we got ahead of the tuna pens. Marked some fish had several short bites and caught a calico or two. We reset the drift a few more times before cutting our losses and then headed north up the island. We did not mark any YT or any BF as we hoped we would in that area.

We then came to the middle islands and drifted in the areas we saw some small marks. These two or three drifts didn’t produce anything and it quickly dawned on us we were seeing those small rockfish/perch but we were getting short nibbles like crazy.

From there we move on to the lee side of the north island starting by the keyhole. We saw some marks there and drifted for a few but not too much going on there. We got hailed by Brandon and very pretty blonde haired first mate on a what looked like a 23’ center console and passed some of our dines over as they were a bit short and wanted to get some folks from Texas on a YT. Brandon and his fist mate gave us a little dope (YT related but not my place to share their info) which helped us bag a decent bonito and that made the day more exciting. Unfortunately, we were not able to deck the right kind but still had a great day on the water and with the wind being what it was, we felt it was time to head to the barn.

We put on the foul weather gear and made surprisingly great time back to Mission Bay. I was also surprised how well Jason’s skiff handled the wind chop, and that we didn’t get that wet on the way home. We filleted the fish, cleaned up the skiff, and Benny and I made the trip back to Corona after stopping for some In-n-Out for dinner. It was so nice to be back on the water. Good Times!!

Resized_20200829_153730.jpg

20200830_092246.jpg

20200830_110519.jpg

Snapchat-14960108981.jpg

Bonito sashimi turned out really good

20200830_110452.jpg

20200830_110414.jpg

(This pic was before I added the fish)

Shoutout to @Hismosa for the delicious ceviche recipe.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    nice report thanks for sharing

Reactions: SaltH20Angler
    Upvote 0

Deckman

May 29, 2013
    Bonita ca. USA
    Name
    Todd Deckman
    Boat
    21' CC Parker
    After not being able to get out for a month plus, I met up with @Benny Mora in Corona at 2am Saturday morning and made the drive down to San Diego to meet @Smitty619vt (Jason) and his First Mate Ace (Awesome Black Lab) at the Sea Word Marina. This was our first time meeting or fishing with Jason but knew we would have a great day as we were communicating with him via phone/text earlier that week. We loaded up Jason's 21’ Sea Pro CC (Ace in the Hull) from Mission Bay at 4am. Made it to the bait barge (no line) and scooped up some decent dines then pointed to the bow in the dark to the lower/middle 9 mile bank.

As the trip approached, we anticipated snotty conditions which can make the paddy hunting pretty awful so we all agreed the best plan would be to take a look around the 9 to see if we could get a little lucky on a paddy then head on down to the islands. We saw the Dodo count was increasing earlier that week and also knew that any paddy could be holding YT. Friday night, our good buddy @reel therapy gave us some good intel that there were some good-sized YT being caught at the Nados. The dope he gave us also showed that a couple of decent grade BFT were also caught that day (Friday). Based on the conditions, we felt this plan would give us a better chance at being successful catching the right kind of fish. Turns out the whether wasn't too bad at all.

After we made it to the middle/south 9 mile bank, we came across a few incredible looking kelp paddies and gave them a try for a few minutes each for nada. The first paddy was a nice 6x6, but the next 2 were double or triple garage door sized and looked really fishy with a bunch of birds on them. We fly-lined dines, threw colt snipers, and irons at them for about 10-15 minutes each for nothing. I think we marked a couple of fish on one of them, but we didn’t want to spend too much time on the paddies if they were not going to produce. My experience is that if you don’t get bit in the first 5-10 minutes on a paddy, then it’s unlikely to produce.

View attachment 1193065

View attachment 1193066

We eventually get to Pukey Point and decided that we are going to skip that area and start at the south/west point of the south island. We get to that area start a drift, marked fish, and immediately started decking quality Calicos (avg. 3-4 pounds). I am all for catch and release on the ones that are slow to grow, but my wife has been wanting to make fresh cevechi and I made my mind up that I was going to bring home some meat, whether bass or rockfish to make Mama happy. We were catching them on the Jr. yo-yo iron (scrambled egg), and the hook-up baits… yeah, I know… fuck hook up baits… (but they do catch don't they).

Not only were we catching great grade Calicos on that drift, but we also caught several different rock-fish (released), a huge whitefish that I thought was a smaller grade YT when it hit the deck, as well as a short Lingcod, the bluest I have ever caught (released). Sorry boys, we didn’t take pictures of the fish after being caught as they were nothing you haven’t seen before (apart from the Lingcod). That drift ended up being the best action all day. Ace was such a good dog, he stayed out of the way, barked at the knotheads who could care less, and barked with joy in a celebratory manner every time a fish was decked. I literally forgot he was on board with us several times.

View attachment 1193067

When the bite died, we reset and caught a couple here and there, but no YT and nothing spectacular so we moved around the lee side of the south island. We trolled rapalas, and slow trolled dines until we got ahead of the tuna pens. Marked some fish had several short bites and caught a calico or two. We reset the drift a few more times before cutting our losses and then headed north up the island. We did not mark any YT or any BF as we hoped we would in that area.

We then came to the middle islands and drifted in the areas we saw some small marks. These two or three drifts didn’t produce anything and it quickly dawned on us we were seeing those small rockfish/perch but we were getting short nibbles like crazy.

From there we move on to the lee side of the north island starting by the keyhole. We saw some marks there and drifted for a few but not too much going on there. We got hailed by Brandon and very pretty blonde haired first mate on a what looked like a 23’ center console and passed some of our dines over as they were a bit short and wanted to get some folks from Texas on a YT. Brandon and his fist mate gave us a little dope (YT related but not my place to share their info) which helped us bag a decent bonito and that made the day more exciting. Unfortunately, we were not able to deck the right kind but still had a great day on the water and with the wind being what it was, we felt it was time to head to the barn.

We put on the foul weather gear and made surprisingly great time back to Mission Bay. I was also surprised how well Jason’s skiff handled the wind chop, and that we didn’t get that wet on the way home. We filleted the fish, cleaned up the skiff, and Benny and I made the trip back to Corona after stopping for some In-n-Out for dinner. It was so nice to be back on the water. Good Times!!

View attachment 1193068

View attachment 1193069

View attachment 1193075

View attachment 1193076

View attachment 1193071

View attachment 1193074

Bonita is really good as poki as well! Catch, bleed, ice, fillet, let sit for 24 hours and poki that sh#t!!!!

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha

View attachment 1193065

View attachment 1193066

View attachment 1193067

View attachment 1193068

View attachment 1193069

View attachment 1193075

View attachment 1193076

View attachment 1193071

View attachment 1193074

Quality processing of those fish--and great photos too. People that don't use a vacuum sealer take notice, check it out, how good those seals look--that fish will taste fresh a LONG time from now--if any is still around. Thanks for the cool post.

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Mackerel Marauder
    Boat
    18' Stringari Skiff
    Helluva job color coordinating with your hat, shirt and fish....dam even the bag is black with turquoise straps. How in the hell did you plan that?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Helluva job color coordinating with your hat, shirt and fish....dam even the bag is black with turquoise straps. How in the hell did you plan that?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I had to call on some of my old roommates from back in my experimental day in college...er..um...I mean some guys I just met.

41D6NVN7TVL.jpg

Just kidding... I didn't go to college. All jokes aside, I need to get some new colors mixed in. 🤪

Reactions: Caseydmaze
    Upvote 0