08.18.10 Helen Solo on the Pursuit

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Odium, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Odium

Odium Newbie

Name:
    Odium
    Boat:
    Odi Maru
    Report written by Helen.

Sorry guys for the late report.

The plan was to sleep early and wake up even earlier to secure a good spot on the Wednesday special. So I popped a dramamine and hopped into bed while David packed the car. I tried my best to sleep but the heat kept me wide awake. Instead of waiting for my alarm to go off, I got up at 1:00am. Hopped into the car and started driving, while a freakish white spider crawled across my windshield towards me… on the INSIDE. I stopped at stop sign and attempted to kill the sucker with a napkin. Failed. I think it went into my air vent, but needless to say, I was paranoid of it coming back to haunt me. Headed to Jack in the Box cause I knew the PB&J Dave made me would come in handy later. I know, I never learn my lesson. Nothing bad happened this time, but the food was gross and left a grease stain on my jeans.

Got to the landing around 2:20 and there wasn't a soul around. I happily sat right in front of the box office window and stared at nothing. I noticed my fingers started to itch. There were two tiny bumps. From the spider? Maybe… I will never know.

Around 3:00, the next angler showed up. I think he may have scoffed or sighed when he saw me sitting there. He said his good morning and asked what time I arrived. He sounded surprised once I told him. More people slowly started to trickle in. A long line had started to form. The second person that showed up was talking to the people behind him. Apparently these guys were Wednesday regulars. He mentioned his usual corner spot to them. I slightly felt bad cause I knew I was going to take that spot. But that emotion quickly passed as I remembered being the second person to arrive the previous Thursday, but ended up 7th in line. This guy ended up getting the other corner, so I hope he doesn’t hate me too much.

I purchased Black 13, portside corner, and quickly went to set up my reels. People had already started to crowd around the entrance of the dock. Everyone kept inching forward and we all started walking quickly towards the boat, once we heard the signal. I was walking fairly quickly, until I heard someone running from behind. Panicked, I bolted as quickly as my stubby legs would carry me. Two guys passed me up. That didn’t end up mattering cause I got the bunk I wanted anyways.

So I went to sleep, not before asking a certain deckhand to wake me up before we arrive at the first stop. That didn’t happen. I got up once I heard the anchor, which was probably a good thing because all the lines kept drifting around chaotically. There were a total of 75 anglers. At this stop, there were a bunch of calicos and some bonitos. Boils were all around, but the fish weren’t biting my bait. There were a lot of mackerel hook ups, but that’s no fun.

The Captain repositioned us a couple of times, as we were drifting. I eventually hooked up a bonito. Then more macks. There were boils right in front of us, but no takers. A short barracuda bounced on deck and some sheephead were caught. I end up hooking another bonito, gaffed by Gus. Yay. It was a fatty. Then we went to our next destination as traffic had slowed down the bite.

We head to other nice spots for bass… or calicos, I can’t tell the difference. Some people were getting sheephead and perch. Everyone around me was picking up legals, while I was just killing babies. Calicos. Baby calicos. We moved to a few more destinations. Albert saved a few birds, as seen in my horrible photo skills. I eventually caught a bird as well and Mike saved the day. Apparently that was the only thing I could hook up at the last destination.

[​IMG]
    Awesome photography skills!

The Captain announces its time to go and the jackpot begins. I hook up my bonito one side and hope no one beats me. There were a lot of entries but my fatty won the jackpot. Yay. Totally made up for the lack of fish in my bag. The jackpot went back to the all deserving crew and I headed to the bunks, as fish cleaning began.

[​IMG]
    Yay!

[​IMG]
    Awww, Albert’s all grown up…

[​IMG]

[This is pretty much the end of my fishing expedition, but if you’d like to hear me whine, please feel free to continue reading.]
    I get up once I hear the boat slowing down and notice my fingers were starting to swell. Great. I tried not to think much of it and head home. The next morning I woke up at 6:00 and my fingers were swollen and itching like crazy. Sigh. I head out to the nearest Urgent Care center to wait for an hour because no doctors are in.

[​IMG]
    Sausage fingers!!!

[​IMG]
    Hopefully, I was bitten by a radioactive spider that will help me catch more fish.

Turns out I needed two shots and a bunch of drugs. Needless to say, I was in pain. A lot of pain. Not fun. So was calling in sick and getting up at 1am, losing a battle with a spider, getting outfished by everyone, but winning jackpot, and ending up in Urgent Care worth going fishing? Completely.

Okay bye.
    Helen

2. nochinges63

nochinges63 PIN HEAD

Name:
    Raul
    Boat:
    23'trophy pro get some
    sweet spider bite . so something was bitting ?

3. Headshot

Headshot Member

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    05' 2601 SeaSwirl Striper
    I like the Little filipina! Wow!

4. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    bummer about your finger. just an fyi, you never know who sleeps on those bunks. ppl are dirty. also, theres a bed bug epidemic going on. hope the finger heals. excellent report. sucks that your bf had a bad time on the victory. both of ya'll should give that boat another try. yes the pursuit gets fish, but do both of ya'll really want to fish w/ 75 ppl? you should try the victory on weds or a thurs.

5. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Nice report....it was a fun read...

congrats on the jackpot as well...always a good feeling.

6. PaDDy Killer'

PaDDy Killer' Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
    Excellent job winning the JP

7. Rabid Fish

Rabid Fish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    26'
    Nice report!

Anyone expecting to get a particular bunk or "their" corner spot on a boat with 75 people is a madman.

8. Fishingtail

Fishingtail Fishingtail

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    18', Seaswirl CC, Fishingtail
    Good report, congrat's on the JP!

9. dweston

dweston Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Duane
    Boat:
    yours
    75 people really! ouch

10. MoMo Fish

MoMo Fish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brooklyn!
    Way to go Helen! Was on same boat with kids to try them out on boat fishing and the crew did a great job with what they had. Fishing sucked but nothing was biting.
    Only issue is again other anglers who's mama never taught them any better. Had to yell at 2 guys who decided to stand directly behind me and kids and cast over my head!!! dumassssss!! And what makes it worst is the one guy looked at me like I was being rude and yelled something back under his breath before walking away..

Next time someone does that i'm cutting there line :)

11. dctalk523

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    75 ppl is nasty. avoid at all costs. next time try the sport king or victory. avoid fridays and wkends.

12. ambush1

ambush1 Swagger Lures,

Name:
    brett bumz
    Boat:
    23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
    spiders suck

13. Odium

Odium Newbie

Name:
    Odium
    Boat:
    Odi Maru
    David Replying:

She's a chink (chinese) not a flip hahaha! But she says thank you!

If I'm on the stern, I would rather fish 75 anglers with a helpful crew.

I still get bitter thinking back on that Victory trip. One day, I will probably ride again. But I don't think it will happen this year.

Billy, one day, we will ride the spectra!! The day we ride, Helen will probably out fish me too. . .

Note to self: Do not cast over MoMo, hahahaha.

I'm actually guilty of slinging the iron over people sometimes. But in my defense, I'm not a COMPLETE jerk about it.

I thought the Sport King stopped running out to cat? I haven't been on the boat in two or three years.

Helen thanks everyone for the replies!! Swelling has gone down quite a bit, but her bite is still itching like crazy!

14. tsurikichi

tsurikichi Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    10' 2 1/64"
    Hi Odium / Helen,

Again, congrats on the JP. You must be allergic (ya think) to such bites which means that a Sculpin should be realllllllly avoided as the toxin causes pretty much the same reaction as some insect bites. Anaphylactic shock is no joking matter. But you probably know that already !!

For the one 2 tier victim- Stepping back on a (fake) hookup real fast and real hard will cure a 2nd tierin' donkey !!

For the Dad w/first time kids- I'd have done a 1/2-dayer on a boat that I had checked the archives to find the day that was normally the lightest but still had a good rep with the community. The New Del Mar is a decent kid boat from what I understand.

For the suggestion on the Victory- If I were that person, and just had to try the Victory, I'd go Thursday as ..... an angling club rides here EVERY Wednesday which naturally ups the total folks on board to 30, 40, etc. Often lighter other days if the archives are checked.

I make a habit of checking the same threads of an excellent contribution such as yours as the communities are often so different !

Oh ya ..... You won't be going to CAT on the Sport King for an indeterminate period of time. Pursuit, Freelance, Tide Change, Freedom, and possibly the Tradition have thier OP CAT trips too !

tsurikichi

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  15. REELKING

REELKING Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MR.CHIN
    Boat:
    THE MIGHTY VICTORY
    THE PURSUIT ROCKS!!!!

$45 TO FISH CATALINA ISLAND WHAT A DEAL!!! FYI THOSE OTHER BOATS DONT GO THERE

IF YOU CANT HANG WITH 75 ANGLERS THEN STAY HOME

16. dctalk523

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    yea, i'll stay home and go on my lr trips instead.

17. tsurikichi

tsurikichi Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    10' 2 1/64"
    Hi REELKING,

Not for $45 maybe but go they DO ! As anyone who had the inspiration and took the time to check the reports and recent archives could easily see in ..... oh say ......... 2 seconds.

tsurikichi

18. winningman

winningman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MYOUNG
    Boat:
    none.
    Wedsday daymare...^^

nice report hope your finger gets better~♡

19. Kai

Kai Member

Name:
    Kai Lu
    Boat:
    none.
    Good Job Helen winning the jackpot with that many freaking people. Good fish and picture.

And your hot!

Sorry about the spider bite, at least you got off from work.

By the way, Mr. Dctalk Davis, you suck. U said you quit fishing, and now look at you!

Good to see your back!

Kai

20. Shogunsc4

Shogunsc4 Member

Name:
    Sheki
    Boat:
    na

X2 Davis...that guy is a joke for talking shit... It's the fishing experience that matters...not how cheap the ticket is...75 people is combat fishing...IMO not worth it.

We dont need to hang with 70+ nor to stay home...we'll just pay a little more, enjoy real fishing LR style! No need to battle 74 other people over a little fish...