patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Andrew (who's been out on Kai'Nana 3 or 4 times) previously has had a unique ability to attract specifically ahis, glad he was on Island. His buddy AJ was also on Island and came a long. Andrew was here to get married (his parents live here) and found some time to sneak away. AJ and Andrew got down to the boat right at 5:15 and we pushed off, winds were lighter than expected, at least early on they were.

AJ is up first talk thru the drill, fitted up the Black Magic harness. set the spread and went alookin'... went to the typical haunts, not much signs of life, didn't see anyone stop, talked to some friends who were out, they had just got a nice ono, lucky them. Probably around 9:30 just in a turn to port the center lets go, nothing much happens for a few seconds, starting to think something small, my thinking was wrong. Finally she understands and tries to rid herself of the mistake she just made.

Get AJ suited up, slow Kai'Nana down, keep her headed down see, it's a little bit bumpy now. Between the heave of Kai'Nana and new to the stand up thing, with something of size on the other end, it took AJ some time to get comfortable with the process. Get the fish to color and she wants to be stupid, swimming back and forth across the transom (just like a fair amount of smaller marlins we've had), finally get the leader and she swings wide on the stbd side and she is heading straight back at the boat, all the crap underwater (running gear) I'm pulling as fast as possible to shorten the leash before she gets too close and gets wrapped up on any of the running gear, task accomplished, Andrew sticks her I get a second gaff in her and pull her in, can I say SWEET?
ahideck 073121.jpg

AJ_DACahi.jpg

Get her taken care on, lures set, spend the rest of the day trying for a second, did not materialize. Get in, cleaned up, Kai'Nana was fairly crusty, we cut the fish... You may ask, why did you do that with prices crazy high, wanted AJ and Andrew to be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor, and I wanted some too.
BACahi.jpg

JSI did the deed, her eggs sacs were close to bustin', hope there is one more hurrah!!! Till next time.
JSI073121.jpg

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0

Butakuchi

Mar 9, 2013
Honolulu,Hawaii/USA
Name
Cary s. yamauchi
Boat
1959 Crestline 16ft
Pat, like you explained Andrew seems to be that guy when it comes to Ahi. He and AJ had a productive holo with Kai-Nana. Olu and I hope this wind knocks down so we can get out there or anywhere lol. Aloha Cary & Olu

Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
way to go Team BlackFin, da tuna Slayer..........
"killing is my business and business is good"

tight lines,

Reactions: shadzdad
Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Nice job Pat. Hopefully the winds will ease a little over the next week.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck, it looks like it will be doable this weekend.
good job and way to take care of the ppl it'll come back around!
Thanks, just to make it worse, as far as crazy prices, the day after was talking to a slip neighbor, he had 2 marlin last week, and got just unbelievable prices for both.
NICE AHI GUYS! ONE like that, MoBetta than none any day LOL
Thanks Ron
Pat, like you explained Andrew seems to be that guy when it comes to Ahi. He and AJ had a productive holo with Kai-Nana. Olu and I hope this wind knocks down so we can get out there or anywhere lol. Aloha Cary & Olu
Thanks Cary, hopefully you can can get out soon!
way to go Team BlackFin, da tuna Slayer..........
"killing is my business and business is good"

tight lines,
Thanks Eric, there hasn't been enough killin' on Kai'Nana's back deck this summer.
Pat and crew, glad you were able to persuade her onto Kai Nana's deck. Always a good day when you get the right stuff.
Thanks Darren, she wasn't very amendable to coming aboard when we had her at color.
Good going Pat and crew these winds are too much for our 16' Crestliner
Thanks Olu, the winds look like they will ease some, hopefully enough.

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0