04/21 - Catalina - Black Pearl

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
We hadn't been out since the Friday before Easter and with fresh memories of that white sea bass we brought back from that trip to Cat, we couldn't wait to get back to the island. The Kidd, Joser, and I were able to get this past Friday off and we planned on taking the 18' Scout to the backside of the island to see if we could do it again.

Thursday afternoon we did our normal prep, new topshot, topped off what few supplies we needed, and checked the weather. Damn if the seas looked pretty heavy between Long Beach and Catalina. The reports showed seas up to 6 feet and rated the island fishing at a 2 out of 10. We all knew that the weather apps are sometimes off, but know it can make for a really tuff day on a small vessel when swell is big and lots of wind is forecasted.

After going back and forth we decided to see if we could find a full day trip that would be going to the island. Although the cost would be more than normal, the thought of a breakfast burrito for breakfast and a cheeseburger for lunch seemed pretty sweet, not to mention the ride would be smoother, and I we wouldnt be nearly as wet. Now, if we could only find a boat that was not booked asses to elbows,it would be a go.

Called LB Sportsfishing and found that the Black Pearl was a full day for $75, most likely going to Cat, and only had 8 confirmed and needed 1 more to make it a go. The max load was 30 I think, so it seemed like it wouldn't be too crowded. We paid over the phone and that was that. We're going fishing!!

Got to the landing early in an effort to get a spot on the back of the boat. There were only 16 anglers. Left on time and secretly hoped for high seas to make me feel better for spending the extra cash. The weather didn't disappoint as the seas were big; however, we all agreed the swell and wind wasnt as bad as the report suggested and that the Scout would have been doable. That said, it would certainly have been bumpy and we would have had to wear raingear from head to toe (and probably still would have been somewhat wet). Bumpy and wet is something we have gotten used to.

The Black Pearl has bunks and I cant exaggerate how nice it was to snooze on the way over after a hot breakfast burrito. The bunks were clean with pillows and a blanket that was warm if you got chilly, I didnt need to use it. Woke up with the island in sight, what an awesome feeling that was.

I wish I could tell you about the catching we did, upload some pics, and tell you how delicious the meal was going to taste, but the truth is... we just couldnt find the bite. There were a couple of keeper barracuda, calico bass, a sculpin, and a sheephead of about 3.5 pounds (maybe) which won the small jackpot. Cant blame the captain as he worked hard and didnt spare gas as we made it to the backside of the west end after starting west of Avalon. Best part of the trip for me was when a bald eagle swooped down to pick up a sheephead only 20 yards off the stern of the boat. The captain gave a perfect commentary and called it out while the eagle was way overhead. It was really a neat thing to see. Merica!!!

Made a final drift for rockfish before heading back at about 3:30. I had no keepers but the nap from Catalina to LB on the comfy bunks was well worth the $75 spent for the trip. Thanks to the Captain for showing us he cared and making the effort to put us on the fish and for using the extra gas, female deckhand, (Bri) who was just as capable as any male deckhand, and to the chef for the delicious food. Although, we dont get on the sportsboats much, I'd go back again (bad weather permitting) hoping for better results.

Long post for a mostly uneventful day, but I thought I'd share anyways. Tight Lines!

Greenbergler

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 22, 2015
ORANGE COUNTY
Name
Corey Greenberg
Boat
210 montauk
We fished the east end yesterday for the same result. Did you guys have all those weird things floating in the water too?

Salty Paul

XIPHIAS GLADIUS
Oct 9, 2016
Bearflag South end
Name
Salty Paul
Boat
Grady White 208 Adventure
You mean the baby Man of War jelly fish that are all over So Cal waters by the billion?

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Didn't notice anything in the water. Kind of alarming if they were baby man-o-war jellyfish I would think.

Salty Paul

XIPHIAS GLADIUS
Oct 9, 2016
Bearflag South end
Name
Salty Paul
Boat
The was I saw out of SD looked like this, which is a baby MOW.
download MOW.jpg

Greenbergler

Nov 22, 2015
ORANGE COUNTY
Name
Corey Greenberg
Boat
210 montauk
I don't think they were jellyfish. It looked almost like a weird plant. It was pink and bumpy and looked like a dildo haha they were all over the place

Reactions: johnnyblade666

Salty Paul

XIPHIAS GLADIUS
Oct 9, 2016
Bearflag South end
Name
Salty Paul
Boat
I don't think they were jellyfish. It looked almost like a weird plant. It was pink and bumpy and looked like a dildo haha they were all over the place
Did not see anything like that out of SD.

pescadito

Aug 20, 2007
rosemead, ca
Name
john
Boat
n/a
Those pink and bumpy things that look like dildos are actually a communal jellyfish called a pyrosoma. They're here year round but are mostly deep water but come up with upwelling a and currents. Pretty common if you're looking for them...

image.jpeg

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
As already said vellea, more commonly known as By The Wind Sailors. Look like man-o-wars but not poisonous at least to humans.

Greenbergler

Nov 22, 2015
ORANGE COUNTY
Name
Corey Greenberg
Boat
210 montauk
Those pink and bumpy things that look like dildos are actually a communal jellyfish called a pyrosoma. They're here year round but are mostly deep water but come up with upwelling a and currents. Pretty common if you're looking for them...

View attachment 831873
it was these. floating all over the east end. we netted one and thought it was a piece of plant or something. didn't look like life haha

Tom Jr.

Retired Crane Operator Local 12
Aug 1, 2009
Riverside,Ca.
Name
Tom Jr.
Boat
yes
We hadn't been out since the Friday before Easter and with fresh memories of that white sea bass we brought back from that trip to Cat, we couldn't wait to get back to the island. The Kidd, Joser, and I were able to get this past Friday off and we planned on taking the 18' Scout to the backside of the island to see if we could do it again.

Thursday afternoon we did our normal prep, new topshot, topped off what few supplies we needed, and checked the weather. Damn if the seas looked pretty heavy between Long Beach and Catalina. The reports showed seas up to 6 feet and rated the island fishing at a 2 out of 10. We all knew that the weather apps are sometimes off, but know it can make for a really tuff day on a small vessel when swell is big and lots of wind is forecasted.

After going back and forth we decided to see if we could find a full day trip that would be going to the island. Although the cost would be more than normal, the thought of a breakfast burrito for breakfast and a cheeseburger for lunch seemed pretty sweet, not to mention the ride would be smoother, and I we wouldnt be nearly as wet. Now, if we could only find a boat that was not booked asses to elbows,it would be a go.

Called LB Sportsfishing and found that the Black Pearl was a full day for $75, most likely going to Cat, and only had 8 confirmed and needed 1 more to make it a go. The max load was 30 I think, so it seemed like it wouldn't be too crowded. We paid over the phone and that was that. We're going fishing!!

Got to the landing early in an effort to get a spot on the back of the boat. There were only 16 anglers. Left on time and secretly hoped for high seas to make me feel better for spending the extra cash. The weather didn't disappoint as the seas were big; however, we all agreed the swell and wind wasnt as bad as the report suggested and that the Scout would have been doable. That said, it would certainly have been bumpy and we would have had to wear raingear from head to toe (and probably still would have been somewhat wet). Bumpy and wet is something we have gotten used to.

The Black Pearl has bunks and I cant exaggerate how nice it was to snooze on the way over after a hot breakfast burrito. The bunks were clean with pillows and a blanket that was warm if you got chilly, I didnt need to use it. Woke up with the island in sight, what an awesome feeling that was.

I wish I could tell you about the catching we did, upload some pics, and tell you how delicious the meal was going to taste, but the truth is... we just couldnt find the bite. There were a couple of keeper barracuda, calico bass, a sculpin, and a sheephead of about 3.5 pounds (maybe) which won the small jackpot. Cant blame the captain as he worked hard and didnt spare gas as we made it to the backside of the west end after starting west of Avalon. Best part of the trip for me was when a bald eagle swooped down to pick up a sheephead only 20 yards off the stern of the boat. The captain gave a perfect commentary and called it out while the eagle was way overhead. It was really a neat thing to see. Merica!!!

Made a final drift for rockfish before heading back at about 3:30. I had no keepers but the nap from Catalina to LB on the comfy bunks was well worth the $75 spent for the trip. Thanks to the Captain for showing us he cared and making the effort to put us on the fish and for using the extra gas, female deckhand, (Bri) who was just as capable as any male deckhand, and to the chef for the delicious food. Although, we dont get on the sportsboats much, I'd go back again (bad weather permitting) hoping for better results.

Long post for a mostly uneventful day, but I thought I'd share anyways. Tight Lines!
It's nice to hear someone likes that boat as much as I do they have clean restrooms to having a girl deckhand & a girl cook they are kid friendly.
Tom Jr.

Reactions: kms70

ctmfish

Feb 2, 2010
Downey
Name
Cameron
Boat
Wellcraft V20
Great write up! Nothing better than being able to lay down and snooze on a log trip. Well, maybe catching a few keepers is not too bad either. Glad you enjoyed the trip!

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside