“The San Diego “

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    The San Diego is one of the top of Day Boat Operatios, no doubt. I have fished on it more than any other SD day boat. But it is fishing. I have been other boats and they are aware of what is going on on the water and are trying to put their customers on fish and post the top count. You can’t go wrong jumping on the San Diego if that is your question.

Reactions: One_Leg

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    The San Diego is one of the top of Day Boat Operatios, no doubt. I have fished on it more than any other SD day boat. But it is fishing. I have been other boats and they are aware of what is going on on the water and are trying to put their customers on fish and post the top count. You can’t go wrong jumping on the San Diego if that is your question.
    The only thing I don’t like about the San Diego, is they have a lot of walk ups,
    In the morning, and I like
    Fishing on the lightest loads,
    So it’s had to judge, how
    Many are going on your trip.

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    The only thing I don’t like about the San Diego, is they have a lot of walk ups,
    In the morning, and I like
    Fishing on the lightest loads,
    So it’s had to judge, how
    Many are going on your trip.
    They do appear to have dead heads. I have seen it on other boats too. I must say the enforced limited load had been nice. When any day boat is maxed out it is combat fishing in a bite. That is the nature of the beast.

Oct 23, 2019
    San Clemente
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Robalo R180
    They’ve invested a ridiculous amount of $$ in electronics and know how to use them. I’ve had incredible days on The San Diego and also been skunked once. I also hit the same range as the San Diego on my own boat, but if I’m paying to ride on a full day boat in the region, it’s always The San Diego.

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
    Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    1. They are the best at the islands
    2. Electronics
    3. Deadheads and ringers put most of the fish on the boat.

Before anyone downlplays deadheads. They are there to put fish on the boat, many times they hand off to paying passengers. I have stood next to them and learned so much from them that I'm glad to see them on the boats.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    2. Electronics

Before anyone downlplays deadheads. They are there to put fish on the boat, many times they hand off to paying passengers. I have stood next to them and learned so much from them that I'm glad to see them on the boats.

Can we get a deadhead and ringer definition please? Thanks.

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    2. Electronics

Last year I got schooled on the San Diego popper fishing. No doubt you should pay attention to those around you...

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
    Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    Usually they start out paying passengers that become regulars. They know the crew and boat like the back of their hand. Knowing how a boat drifts, where the chum piles up, where the captain sets up in the fish, bait selection, etc all help them catch more fish.
    After a while they start getting invited on charters to help out on deck with hooking up fish then it goes to reduced ticket and sometimes free.
    SD being one of the best in SD even over the longer trips has a lot of regulars.

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    An individual that may get on a fishing vessel at a discount rate.
    brings up fish count, helps other anglers catch fish, wins jackpots.

May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    Electronics... specifically 8 or 6 electronics rigged together. Their purpose isn’t to find fish either. Well it is.

Islands fishing I don’t know tho, fishing with the MB definitely increased my learning rate faster then the San Diego.

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Electronics... specifically 8 or 6 electronics rigged together. Their purpose isn’t to find fish either. Well it is.

Islands fishing I don’t know tho, fishing with the MB definitely increased my learning rate faster then the San Diego.

The San Diego is one of the top of Day Boat Operations, no doubt. I have fished on it more than any other SD day boat. But it is fishing. I have been other boats and they are aware of what is going on on the water and are trying to put their customers on fish and post the top count. You can’t go wrong jumping on the San Diego if that is your question.
    Yup, they are all working hard. Sometimes the trips you are on shades your loyalty and perspective.

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
    San Marcos
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    None
    I had a conversation with Boogers dad Jim one day about this. He told me one particular season the indicator of when the yellows were going to pop up was one set of birds on the island. He knew that when this certain set of birds took off from the islands that they YT were going to surface/show. You spend as much time as they do at the Nados you prob have this set of keys and a few more

Tito califishing

Almost A Member
  • Sep 2, 2007
    vc
    Name
    tito
    Boat
    21' striper
    They work hard and put you on the game
    EA8E4901-4F49-4E8C-A3B6-803248ACAB2C.png
    fish. It’s up to you to catch them. I used to fish this boat a lot until I got my own boat. Sometimes I feel like selling the boat and use the money to keep jumping on THE SAN DIEGO!
    EA8E4901-4F49-4E8C-A3B6-803248ACAB2C.png

Reactions: kbray001

vincentek9

halibut suck
    Apr 9, 2010
    anaheim, CA
    Name
    Vince
    Boat
    AVparker
    I had a conversation with Boogers dad Jim one day about this. He told me one particular season the indicator of when the yellows were going to pop up was one set of birds on the island. He knew that when this certain set of birds took off from the islands that they YT were going to surface/show. You spend as much time as they do at the Nados you prob have this set of keys and a few more

That's insane, but not too surprising. Being on the water day after day and something like that is what can make the SD outfish all other boats.

As other members have said, its not just the electronics, but the limit of knowledge on how and when to use them. I believe the SD really taps into the electronics' capabilities.

May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    That's insane, but not too surprising. Being on the water day after day and something like that is what can make the SD outfish all other boats.

As other members have said, its not just the electronics, but the limit of knowledge on how and when to use them. I believe the SD really taps into the electronics' capabilities.
    Not what I meant in the slightest. They run the same fish finding electronics as the other boats do as well. I know they run a different up and down a Lawrence, but it’s nothing different then the high end Furono that others use. Same side scan as well. I know the MB uses a a Wesmar 800D. Which is on the Gucci side as.

The boats that have best electronics and outclass everyone else are the Long Range fleet and some multi day boats. 360 Side Scans that read all at once that can read out to 1000ft, unlike the full days that limit themselves to 400. They have no need for that kind of power around the islands. Offshore the stabilized versions help out a lot.

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
    Encinitas, CA
    www.coastlaw.com
    Name
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat
    Nah
    Nobody has yet mentioned one of the most important resources for captains.... other captains. There are "code group" relationships that often span across landings to friends on other sport boats, commercial fishermen, private skiff charter captains, etc. Knowing what was going on elsewhere the day or days before from people who you trust can put you ahead of the curve when matched up with the rest of the data that's out there. Add in layers of experience, plain hard work, and some more experienced passengers, and there you have it.

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
    POWAY CA
    Name
    Richard Jones
    Boat
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    2nd Capt Mat has a secret weapon he uses on his trips. When fishing gets tough he reaches for his Tin Foil-Hat. Once he puts it on his head. He starts turning the boat until he hears the fish nearby. Cannot go wrong with Tin -Foil Mat.

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    David
    Boat
    None
    I was out this past weekend on the San Diego, and Mat was driving. I liked the the fact that even while rock cod fishing, Mat kept an eye on the island to see if there were any signs of fish. We made a run back to the islands late in the day to pick up the other 1/2 of our fish count.

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    The San Diego will not earned the Legendary Day Boat in SoCal for without a reason. They perfected the game hence they are the Fishiest Day Boat down the Southland 🎣