Dale Fero

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2015
Rsm, ca
Name
Dale Fero
Boat
Excel, RR3
My son and I took a 1-1/2 day on The RR3 on the 4th. My son is 27 now and the years go by faster and faster when you plan your seasons by this trip and that trip. I was reminiscing about Jorge Nicifore because his memorial trip had just returned. I recall many conversations about how proud he was of his daughter being accepted into medical school and him wiping his moist eyes saying” It was the jalapeños” As guests on these boats we go through our trips self absorbed in our catches and oblivious to the what the crew is missing out on while serving our every whim.On this trip we were fortunate to be joined by Fernando Calleros a fixture on the RR3 forever(96) I believe. And he brought his 21 year old daughter on this trip. He was a proud papa indeed! His daughter is getting ready to take her certification to become a teacher. I think the next generation is in good hands! While you are enjoying the “Trip of a lifetime”remember these gentleman are raising our next generation to be outstanding people! Please tip your crew their child maybe our president in 2045.

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I have great memories of Jorge and chatting with him about his family. Fernando is another fixture on the RRIII. Glad the next generation is moving to great thing.

fishunter2

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 3, 2015
Riverside,Ca
Name
Tim
Boat
Ranger
Anyone who had the pleasure of fishing on the RRIII, when Jorge was working the boat should consider themselves blessed. He was truly one of a kind, always made your trip special. Fernando is a lot like him, A very personable guy in his own quiet way, a harder worker you will not find. Congratulations to your daughter Fernando, you have a lot to be proud of! Going to miss my annual trip this year, getting a new knee installed.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Whenever I think about LR fishing the crew plays a big part in every memory. Who was my wingman on this fish or that one. Every fish has a crew member attached to it in some way. I remember something they said or a look they gave me during the battle.

I also think about each one of them and what it must be like to leave on another 5, 10 or 15 day trip with a family or girlfriend on shore. Has to be tough to keep a relationship going with that much time apart. Very thankful that there are folks willing to do that for the work they must love. My first LR trip was on the RR III and Fernando was part of the crew though there were something like 30 anglers on the boat and I never really interacted with him but Trevor was the young deckhand that looked out for me as a new angler. He took great care of me and I caught my share of fish. He was in a car accident a few years back and I have not heard anything about him since. I sincerely hope he has recovered and is happy and healthy wherever he is.

Booked on my annual 15 day and my 27 year old son just told me that he had booked a spot too and is planning to join me. He likes to fish but is not an avid angler and he has never been on a LR boat let alone one for 15 days straight. I wanted to tell him that he might want to start with a less ambitious trip but cannot bring myself to miss out on having him along. I will be looking into motion sickness meds and double checking my gear to be sure he has what he needs to have fun. Or at least not be miserable.

Last edited:

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
Whenever I think about LR fishing the crew plays a big part in every memory. Who was my wingman on this fish or that one. Every fish has a crew member attached to in some way. I remember something they said or a look they gave me during the battle.

I also think about each one of them and what it must be like to leave on another 5, 10 or 15 day trip with a family or girlfriend on shore. Has to be tough to keep a relationship going with that much time apart. Very thankful that there are folks willing to do that for the work they must love. My first LR trip was on the RR III and Fernando was part of the crew though there were something like 30 anglers on the boat and I never really interacted with him but Trevor was the young deckhand that looked out for me as a new angler. He took great care of me and I caught my share of fish. He was in a car accident a few years back and I have not heard anything about him since. I sincerely hope he has recovered and is happy and healthy wherever he is.

Booked on my annual 15 day and my 27 year old son just told me that he had booked a spot too and is planning to join me. He like to fish but is not an avid angler and he has never been on a LR boat let alone one for 15 days straight. I wanted to tell him that he might want to start with a less ambitious trip but cannot bring myself to miss out on having him along. I will be looking into motion sickness meds and double checking my gear to be sure he has what he needs to have fun. Or at least not be miserable.
15 days with dad, he WON'T be miserable. it will be memorable no matter the fish caught.