afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
@afraser Do you always use a circle hook on a FF?
Yes, always, and always bridled for bigger fish. If I find all the bites are on the retrieve and I’m missing bites, I’ve missed one so far, then I might switch to upgraded single hooks on the back, but only if they are smaller fish, say under 60. But those cows swim with smaller fish too. A flatfall lure is so small the tuna have no problem swallowing it on the first attempt. I have a hard time believing any are just mouthing it first. I may try it for yellowtail too, especially since they swallow the lure as well.

Upvote 0

Cplug

Jul 19, 2014
Name
Cplug
Boat
II Sons
I learn new things everyday from here so I am always ready for criticism. That was one I just rigged up recently just to get pictures of it. My 11/0’s are down at my boat where I could not get to them for a few days.. And thanks for the split ring part, I figured heavier is safer but hearing that I’ll drop down in size
Danny: I love it when you talk tackle related load paths. Stay well. C Plug

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Looking for a new one
I really like the simplicity of the one-hook method. And it seems logical to have a straight line to the hook. But I also wonder about the potential benefits of the multi-hook setups; I've heard that multiple hooks can cut off a big fish's ability to breathe properly, thus improving the angler's odds. Is that a real thing?

Reactions: Tugboat64
Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
I really like the simplicity of the one-hook method. And it seems logical to have a straight line to the hook. But I also wonder about the potential benefits of the multi-hook setups; I've heard that multiple hooks can cut off a big fish's ability to breathe properly, thus improving the angler's odds. Is that a real thing?

Yes, it is a real thing. I have seen it multiple times. When it comes to fishing, there are many ways to slice a cat... Use whatever achieves the desired result and makes sense to you.

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

kimbo

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 24, 2008
orange county
Name
Batman
Boat
21' cabo
I rig mine with 100# braid, 200# mono crimped, with a 10/0 or 11/0 circle hook. Braid allows it to move freely. Works well for me.

20210215_220201.jpg

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
Yes I saw it first hand on my 6 day last year. We had excellent flatfall fishing. Our charter master had a nomad rigged with assist hooks up top and a 4x treble on the bottom. It seemed that the assist hooks got the fish but the treble was back in its throat. He got his fish pretty quick if I remember right.
regards
Scott

Reactions: Tugboat64
Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2010
Southern California
Name
DzD
Boat
N/A
Yes, it is a real thing. I have seen it multiple times. When it comes to fishing, there are many ways to slice a cat... Use whatever achieves the desired result and makes sense to you.

- Jeff Burroughs

I agreed but then too many different types of rigs can be a bad thing when it comes to selection :D

A25C2837-1E08-42F7-8424-B3779621445F.jpeg

469143E4-B3F6-4B0D-9160-6974CF8D9274.jpeg

Upvote 0

Mangata

• Jun 4, 2020
    Ellamar AK
    Name
    Art Strauss
    Boat
    Mangata
    I am curious if folks using circle hooks feel that they are pulling hooks and missing bites due to the mechanics of a circle hook while jigging???

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member
  • Jun 4, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Steveooo
    Boat
    None
    Could someone share advice on what size and where to order the rings to solder/braze please??

Upvote 0

Chicago Pete

Jan 17, 2012
    Homewood
    Name
    Peter D Womack
    Boat
    None
    Reactions: Phil mckracken
    Upvote 0

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member