Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
I’ve been experimenting with flatfalls after I saw @Let em eat 74 design of a bridled flat fall and I’ve got one that I think will work extremely well. It’s rigged with 3 foot of 400lb izor line crimped to a 7/0 super mutu ringed hook. On that hook I use owners 1000lb split rings and connect a swivel to another split ring that is then connected to the top of whatever flatfall I choose to use.a design like this not only makes your hook set better in any fish because of a large circle hook, but you no longer need to worry if the metal on a flatfall is strong enough under the pressure of a 200-400lb bluefin... in addition the swivel provides a flatfall with an “on and off” glow spinning it as it sinks revealing the glow then showing the non glow side in a repetitive motion. I’m selling them in classified and can custom make them if so choosen.
image.jpg
image.jpg

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
If you're willing to accept some constructive criticism...

Leader is heavier than needed, so the crimp/swage spring gums up the action a little, especially with a split ring that can work to chafe things up.

Hook is too small (IMO, bigger circle is better for the really big fish), and the ring is too little. Start with a larger hook (an 11/0 is not too large), braze/solder on a larger diameter ring that also includes a smaller swivel directly. Then, the remaining split ring to jig can be MUCH smaller than '1000lb rated' as the jig isn't even in the load path when fighting a fish...

You end up with something like this (albeit I've since started using an even larger ring on the hook):
IMG_1020.JPG

This exact hook caught a 220# bft last year...

Good luck on your enterprise!

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor

Leader is heavier than needed, so the crimp/swage spring gums up the action a little, especially with a split ring that can work to chafe things up.

Hook is too small (IMO, bigger circle is better for the really big fish), and the ring is too little. Start with a larger hook (an 11/0 is not too large), braze/solder on a larger diameter ring that also includes a smaller swivel directly. Then, the remaining split ring to jig can be MUCH smaller than '1000lb rated' as the jig isn't even in the load path when fighting a fish...

You end up with something like this (albeit I've since started using an even larger ring on the hook):
View attachment 1251653

I have few rigged up this way.
I call it the DannyNoonan Rigging method

I also have some rigged up with the afraser bridle method.

Keeps me from getting confused.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Trial and error leads to the best configurations my brothers. But.... in your "testing".... phase.. dont hesitate to throw that .... and slight variations of it . ...at numerous circumstances with changing conditions.

Truly great "rigs"... by innovative anglers / Companies.... undergo sever scrutiny.... and rightfully so. Thinking outside the box.... and getting the "desired result" is a long and arduous road. I applaud those who truly...."can't help themselves". You guys are tomorrows tackle innovators! Watching this thread for sure.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    I would not call that bridled. Frasier's rig is truly bridled.

It's an assist hook swapping a ring for the cord.

I do like it. Noonan got me thinking and maybe tinkering in the shop.

Upvote 0

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Whichever1is leaving
    That won’t work effectively at all. Besides the oversized leader ( I only use 130 because it’s a bridle) and too small of a hook, the main issue is now you aren’t using the weight of the lure to guide the hook home. This is part of the beauty of the rig...it’s simplicity and effectiveness You’ve now taken all that away.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private

View attachment 1251653

Nice rig Danny boy! I have a similar big fish Flatfall rig good to go: Mustad 39960D 15/0 - 200 lbs. fluorocarbon Seaguar blue - .5" ID ring - snap swivel to change to whatever model jig they are biting. I also have others using a Mustad 10/0 7691.

- Jeff Burroughs

Tugboat64

Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat

View attachment 1251653

I learn new things everyday from here so I am always ready for criticism. That was one I just rigged up recently just to get pictures of it. My 11/0’s are down at my boat where I could not get to them for a few days.. And thanks for the split ring part, I figured heavier is safer but hearing that I’ll drop down in size

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    That won’t work effectively at all. Besides the oversized leader ( I only use 130 because it’s a bridle) and too small of a hook, the main issue is now you aren’t using the weight of the lure to guide the hook home. This is part of the beauty of the rig...it’s simplicity and effectiveness You’ve now taken all that away.
    There’s no such thing as an oversized leader when you have a big fish on it. If it’s a night bite on jigs your really going to tell me a fish won’t bite it because of the line? Live bait I could understand but a jig? And the swivel creates a new beauty where the flatfall spins while below the hook.

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Might as well sign off for good then. Don’t bother reading a book either.
    Maybe so. If I’m going to listen to everything some through the internet tells me then I’m pretty damn stupid for that. I understand you have experience, but just because you don’t have luck with something doesn’t mean someone else won’t. No need to get your panties all up in a wad.
    and FYI I barely read books in school why the hell would I read one now

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Noonan, old guy having trouble visualizing “the rest of the story”

Can you finish the rig, attach the jig? Thanks.

Reactions: Tugboat64

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
    Apr 17, 2007
    3rd dumpster on the right
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Lund LX200 LFC
    Noonan, old guy having trouble visualizing “the rest of the story”

Can you finish the rig, attach the jig? Thanks.

Sure... The nose of the jig (take your pick, flatfall, nomad, tsp, koika, etc.) attaches directly to the split ring - the right side of the swivel, as shown in the pic. Don't attach any other hooks to the jig...

I use a relatively heavy jig - 320g Nomad - and a fairly short mono leader (maybe 25' of 200# mono as a wind-on to my heavy cow rig)...

Again, this rig is only for use on big fish during a night bite, and should NOT be confused with 'slow pitch' technicals...

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Sure... The nose of the jig (take your pick, flatfall, nomad, tsp, koika, etc.) attaches directly to the split ring - the right side of the swivel, as shown in the pic. Don't attach any other hooks to the jig...

I use a relatively heavy jig - 320g Nomad - and a fairly short mono leader (maybe 25' of 200# mono as a wind-on to my heavy cow rig)...

Again, this rig is only for use on big fish during a night bite, and should NOT be confused with 'slow pitch' technicals...
    Exactly, hence the use of 400lb. I have different size leaders from 130lb up to 200 lb for 100-200lbers.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III

Got it, thanks. I can clearly see the split ring when I blow up the pic.

Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    Skipjack 24
    Doesn't that setup give the fish the weight of the jig to help throw the hook? I'm asking bc I don't know but I want to.

Reactions: butcherboy
    Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    We are all partial to what's been effective for us. As others have said, the leader is way too much for that setup. If you are using a circle hook, you don't need more than 200#, at most, as your line will be outside of the teeth. You can get away with 100. Even 60 during a daytime pick bite. Also the heavier leader makes the lure fall differently as it does provide drag and is stiff. I use 300 or 400#, but only skipjack, large squid or flying fish rigs, but even then, it's only 3-5 feet. The hook is definitely too small. You are either going for finesse with that size hook, which means 60-100# leader, or you should use at least a 11/0 hook. I use a 13/0 ringed hook at night. Always sets right! Speaking of which I would test the hook setting too. Without any weight or drag on the hook, it might not rotate in time or correctly to set. Try throwing the rig in a trashcan (not metal) and pulling the lure out quickly at a 90 degree or less angle. If it sets 9 out of 10, you're good. Anything less, no bueno.

Upvote 0