Northern California WTB - Travel Surf Rod for Cabo

Condition
Used
Price
Free
Type
Want to buy
Views
I'm looking for a quality 12-13', MH or H, carbon fiber/graphite, spinning surf rod for catching Roosters in Cabo next month. It needs to break down to 3-5 pieces, and including a travel case would be nice, but isn't required. Thank you!

Fry

Fry
Dec 17, 2011
Albany, Oregon
Name
Rayan
Boat
Cutwater 26 "Habibi's Absolute R&R"
Do yourself a favor and go to Jansen Tackle Shop when you are in Cabo. His shop is top notch, very affordable and they will dial you in down there for whatever is biting and they also do guiding as well. They have some great surf rods for cheap but also have some very high end stuff if you have the money for it. The lures they sell/make work great and are very reasonably priced.
Here’s a link to their website.

Reactions: yellowklr
Upvote 0

EuroDriver

Jul 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
Name
Nathan Aguilar
Boat
Charters
Unless the rod fits in your suitcase broken down, you'd be better off renting a rod down there because it's going to cost you around $100 (round trip) to check in a travel tube. This is assuming you're traveling via airline

Upvote 0

John Boveri

Dec 6, 2019
California
Name
John Boveri
Boat
none
The only rod I've found that will cast well in the surf and fit in a very large suitcase is the Daiwa Ardito - 11' comes in 5 pieces. It will only fit in my largest suitcase diagonally at about 31" with the case, with no room to spare. I've flown with it 6-7 times including twice to Mexico without a problem.

None of the commonly available 10 foot, 4-piece rods will ever fit in a suitcase - just too long, and some of the cases that the 9' (4-pc) rods have round tube case configs that are just a little too long or bulky to plug into the corners of the suitcase, or come with the same case made for the 10' (i.e., my 9' Santiam). The Ardito case is a billfold type that keeps the ends narrow to fit the corners.

I have the M version Ardito rated at 2-6 lure weight, but personally would not throw more than 2 1/2, and maybe 3oz at the top end (modified pendulum cast). You could probably throw more lobbing it with an off-the-ground cast. It actually throws very well considering its a travel rod, and am used to throwing my Zziplex and Century customs locally. I use a small spinning reel (Daiwa ss2600) with 20-30# braid, which zips through the reduction guides they come with. I wouldn't normally choose these guides, but it helps it fit in the case. They make a MH version thats rated at 3-8, but have never seen one in person - I'm going to guess that its a 3-4 oz rod.

Upvote 0

MF-FISHING

• Jul 17, 2005
    Las Vegas, nv
    Name
    Miles
    Boat
    Robalo 2120
    I have the 10' and it fits into a large suitcase.

Fiblink Surf Spinning Fishing Rod 4-Piece Graphite Travel Fishing Rod (9-Feet & 10-Feet) Amazon product

This is by far my favorite travel rod (carry-on)
    ⬇️⬇️Perfect for a Lexa or Tranx

Look at this on eBay

Upvote 0

cliffpaul2

Dec 7, 2007
    Vacaville, CA
    Name
    Cliff Paul
    Boat
    21’ Striper
    Do yourself a favor and go to Jansen Tackle Shop when you are in Cabo. His shop is top notch, very affordable and they will dial you in down there for whatever is biting and they also do guiding as well. They have some great surf rods for cheap but also have some very high end stuff if you have the money for it. The lures they sell/make work great and are very reasonably priced.
    i appreciate the info! I’ve already been in touch with Stephen Jansen and booked a trip with him. He’ll supply a rod for that trip, but I want to fish on my own after that. He said the manufacturers have been shut gown, so there’s a shortage of rods. I’ll keep looking!

Upvote 0

cliffpaul2

Dec 7, 2007
    Vacaville, CA
    Name
    Cliff Paul
    Boat
    21’ Striper
    The only rod I've found that will cast well in the surf and fit in a very large suitcase is the Daiwa Ardito - 11' comes in 5 pieces. It will only fit in my largest suitcase diagonally at about 31" with the case, with no room to spare. I've flown with it 6-7 times including twice to Mexico without a problem.

None of the commonly available 10 foot, 4-piece rods will ever fit in a suitcase - just too long, and some of the cases that the 9' (4-pc) rods have round tube case configs that are just a little too long or bulky to plug into the corners of the suitcase, or come with the same case made for the 10' (i.e., my 9' Santiam). The Ardito case is a billfold type that keeps the ends narrow to fit the corners.

I have the M version Ardito rated at 2-6 lure weight, but personally would not throw more than 2 1/2, and maybe 3oz at the top end (modified pendulum cast). You could probably throw more lobbing it with an off-the-ground cast. It actually throws very well considering its a travel rod, and am used to throwing my Zziplex and Century customs locally. I use a small spinning reel (Daiwa ss2600) with 20-30# braid, which zips through the reduction guides they come with. I wouldn't normally choose these guides, but it helps it fit in the case. They make a MH version thats rated at 3-8, but have never seen one in person - I'm going to guess that its a 3-4 oz rod.
    Awesome info! I'll measure my suitcase and check out the Ardito rod. Thanks!

Upvote 0

cliffpaul2

Dec 7, 2007
    Vacaville, CA
    Name
    Cliff Paul
    Boat
    21’ Striper
    I have the 10' and it fits into a large suitcase.

Fiblink Surf Spinning Fishing Rod 4-Piece Graphite Travel Fishing Rod (9-Feet & 10-Feet) Amazon product

This is by far my favorite travel rod (carry-on)
    ⬇️⬇️Perfect for a Lexa or Tranx

Look at this on eBay
    Thanks! Will the Fiblink hold up to the Roosters? Does it cast 3oz. lures well (far)?

Upvote 0

cliffpaul2

Dec 7, 2007
    Vacaville, CA
    Name
    Cliff Paul
    Boat
    21’ Striper
    I really appreciate your reply! I've already been in touch with Stephen Jansen and booked a trip with him. I would also like to fish a couple of days without him, which is why I need the rod. He said there's a shortage because of Covid, so he's out of stock on his "Baja Beach" travel rods, which are 13' and break down into 6 pieces for travel. His next shipment isn't expected until after my trip in late-June. He also doesn't rent gear! I'll keep searching...

Reactions: Fry
    Upvote 0

MF-FISHING

• Jul 17, 2005
    Las Vegas, nv
    Name
    Miles
    Boat
    Robalo 2120
    Thanks! Will the Fiblink hold up to the Roosters? Does it cast 3oz. lures well (far)?
    The spinning rod 3 to 4oz is probably the max. It should hold up for small to medium roosters. The casting rod is a medium heavy and definitely has more back bone!! They both can cast some distance!!

Upvote 0

Information

Condition
    Used
    Price
    Free
    Type
    Want to buy
    Views
    City & State

More listings by cliffpaul2