mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I think the last time they had the swapmeet the price had gone up to $35 or $40. I don't like paying $50 either but the money goes to the rod and gun club and not into one individuals pocket like some of the swapmeets. Also it is the best fishing tackle swapmeet around regardless of the price. I have heard that the swapmeet the following week at the Carson Civic Center is going to charge $75. That one I am not sure if I will get a spot or not. Maybe Dan Hernandez will have another one in the next month or two and gear it toward us small guys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
Everything is going up, copper, steel, lumber, ammo, rental cars....why not swap meets. $50 is not outrageous especially if you have a bunch of high end stuff you are looking to get rid of but the increase will probably cause at least some of the nickel and dimers or casual sellers trying to make some space to blow off selling. Those are the folks I like to buy from so it will be interesting to see what it looks like this year. Hopefully it has the same flavor and isn't just the bigger sellers who are at every swapmeet.

Reactions: angelinasdad
Upvote 0

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
Spoke to 2 other small sellers today who, like me, are not going to sell at LB. Since they aren't going down to sell, they also won't be there to buy.

As an example, I usually have maybe 10 mid-range rods and reels to sell (some mine, some belonging to friends, a few that I have picked up locally to flip). No way in hell I can spend $50 for a space and the gas needed to drive down from Ojai.

It is going to be interesting to see if the new space rental reduces the actual number of sellers. This pricing may just come back to bite the club in the ass. Frankly, I hope it does!

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
Yeah..miss the old days when there were some "free" fishing swapmeets like JT tackle and Fisherman's Spot (back when they were in Burbank). Just arrive..set up a table with some of the items you no longer needed or wanted, and if it happened to be kind of slow or dead...no big deal...just pack it in and become a buyer instead or just take off early.

Reactions: blowncar
Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
There used to be quite a few local fishing tackle swapmeets . Dan Hernandez would have 2 or 3 a year, the marina at Sunset Aquatic Park had several, the Elk's Lodge in Canoga Park had them and there were several at the Long Beach Marina. Since Covid there hasn't been any tackle swapmeets for over a year and Long Beach is just about the only show in town. I am tired of the whole Covid deal and I just want to see things get back to normal. I want to go fishing and I want to hang out at the swapmeet and talk about fishing with all of the guys. I am happy that the Rod and Gun club has taken the first step to maybe get things back the way they were. Like Marge Gunderson says in Fargo, "Don't you know there's more to life than just a little bit of money". I will be at the swapmeet in space #38 and I don't care if I don't make a dime.

Upvote 0

Information

Condition
Used
Price
Free
Type
Want to sell
Views

Latest posts