This listing is closed.
Condition
Used
Price
Free
Type
Want to buy
Views
Anyone have a harpoon for large fish? Looking to maybe add a “Wicked Tuna” style harpoon to the boat down in Mexico.... Need one that will receive typical darts and rigging.. If you have one collecting dust let me know what you want for it...

The high dollar Shoals that many of the Wicked Tuna boats use is $250.00 at tackle direct.... Ebay has a copy for $169.00....

DOGHOUSE26

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Big ticket in CA if you're ever boarded in CA by the DFW unless you have a swordfish permit be discrete. God only knows what it would cost you to get out of Mexico alive.............

Reactions: kevina
Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Big ticket in CA if you're ever boarded in CA by the DFW unless you have a swordfish permit be discrete. God only knows what it would cost you to get out of Mexico alive.............
    Really?!? You can’t use them on Tuna?

I’m getting for our boat in PV fishing large tuna... Thought might be easier....

Lost a 200+ lb fish this week on the rudder right at gaff.... a harpoon would have finished it 5-10 minutes earlier.... That last 8-10 feet back and forth gaining inches....booo!

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I’m actually in MX at the moment and flying home today.... Just went and asked the locals.... No problem using a harpoon on tuna..

Surprised Ca actually has a law prohibiting you from having it on boards and using it on legal species like tuna, halibut, shark, etc..... Is this something you know or heard misinformation?

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Look at the dfg site. You cannot use them in Cali for anything other than maybe sharks. You cannot have one on board is you have recreational caught swords. The law is clear as mud. Call the dfg for clarification.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Look at the dfg site. You cannot use them in Cali for anything other than maybe sharks. You cannot have one on board is you have recreational caught swords. The law is clear as mud. Call the dfg for clarification.
    Thank you! That makes far more sense! I won’t have one on board with a sword... 😜

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    I’m actually in MX at the moment and flying home today.... Just went and asked the locals.... No problem using a harpoon on tuna..

Surprised Ca actually has a law prohibiting you from having it on boards and using it on legal species like tuna, halibut, shark, etc..... Is this something you know or heard misinformation?
    Its in the Regulations

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Its in the Regulations
    Sounds like not if you read above... you may not have a harpoon while having sport caught sword fish at the same time.... Doesn’t apply to MX at all.... Sounds like typical misinformation post, but thanks..

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    The harpoon regulations have been changed since the last time I checked; I stand corrected.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Thanks for the rabbit hole! Helps others get good info I guess...
    Years ago in June we finished codding on the 9 mile bank and we got stopped in the MB Channel by the DFG. They boarded my boat , saw all the cod in the fish hold, then after counting them he proceeded to check every nook and cranny looking for more fish. In one of my Galley drawers they found a bronze dart I had but I didn't have the pole on board. I received a lecture for the next 10 minutes on the evils of poaching swordfish and he could right me a big ticket for having the dart on board no matter what we were fishing for. He said if you didn't have a commercial swordfish permit any swordfish gear(harpoon) was illegal to possess on the boat.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Years ago in June we finished codding on the 9 mile bank and we got stopped in the MB Channel by the DFG. They boarded my boat , saw all the cod in the fish hold, then after counting them he proceeded to check every nook and cranny looking for more fish. In one of my Galley drawers they found a bronze dart I had but I didn't have the pole on board. I received a lecture for the next 10 minutes on the evils of poaching swordfish and he could right me a big ticket for having the dart on board no matter what we were fishing for. He said if you didn't have a commercial swordfish permit any swordfish gear(harpoon) was illegal to possess on the boat.
    Blah blah blah.... sounds like a power tripping fish checker.... if one of those Jack offs come on my boat I encourage them to shut the fuck up and write me a ticket, so I can plead not guilty and make them them look stupid for wasting the resources..... they usually see the error of their ways and leave me alone.....

While I appreciate your experiences, It is not helpful in helping me find a harpoon for my boat in Mexico.... thanks!

Upvote 0

Information

Condition
    Used
    Price
    Free
    Type
    Want to buy
    Views

More listings by G-Spot