P

Southern California Garmin GPS 19x HVS NMEA 0183 (8 pin connector)

Condition
Used
Price
Free
Type
Want to buy
Views
The GPS signal to my Garmin 3210 started cutting out intermittently and now has completely failed.

I was hoping redoing the wiring connections between the GPS unit and the chartplotter would fix it, but no dice.

Anyone have the NMEA 0183 (8 pin) version of the Garmin 19x?

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
If you can't find one, any NMEA 0183 GPS puck will work. There are cheap ones available on Amazon. Besides, the fish finder is due for an update and going cheap on use products can also be a crapshoot.

GPS puck

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Here is promising leads for you. The first one seems like he is selling both the puck and the extension for $30. Its definitely not a well written for sale ad.

Good luck.

Ad is a little older, but you never know. Sometimes, these older parts don't sell like hotcakes.

Upvote 0

pbfishes

Apr 29, 2018
San Diego
Name
Peter B
Boat
JC 31
Thanks ShadowX.

I sent inquiries to the 2 most recent postings on THT.

I have a used Standard Horizon unit, but condition unknown. M/n"ux0gpl50sd1" which turns up nothing online, but is presumably quite similar to the "ux0gpl70sd1"

Also no wiring diagram specific to that unit, but SH SCU-31 shows Red: power, Brown:GPS TX+, black/Yellow/shield: Ground.

But if I wire that in and it doesn't work, it could be 1) bad GPS unit, 2) wrong wiring, or 3) bad chartplotter. But might be worth a try on the off chance it works, since otherwise I am waiting around for someone to ship me parts.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
All you have to do is connect the power to the radio or your fish finder. The only connection you need to add is the brown TX+ wire needs to be connected to the RX+ on the radio or the fish finder. On the GPS, they use the black ground wire as a shared connection for the power and also the TX-/RX- connection between the two devices.

I don't know what model of radio you have. If you have a DSC radio that uses NNEA 0183 connections, you can use the connection below to test out the GPS puck. In fact, once you verify it is sending the GPS data with the Standard Horizon puck, you can test your Garmin puck in the same way. You can find the wiring diagram online.
1632769146218.png

As for the connection to your current fish finder, its best you take a picture of your configuration. The main issue is the connector used on your fish finder has four ports. It seems like port 4 is reserved for the GPS device. I assume that is the only valid port that can be used unless you change your settings on the fish finder.

You basically have to connect the brown wire from the SH GPS puck to the white wire on pin 13 and provide a dc ground and power to the GPS (Red/Black wires: pin 15/18). Again, the RX-/TX- is the black ground wire. Most NMEA 0183 uses two wires, but if they are using, one, the other wire is the ground wire (or called "common").

1632769631609.png

1632769781772.png

If you are currently using the SH puck for your radio, you can actually split that signal to four other devices. You only have one transmitter (the GPS puck) and up to 4 receivers (radio/fish finder/etc) all tied together.

(ignore the image below. BDoutdoors is having issues with deleting old images right now)

1632769660298.png

Upvote 0

Information

Condition
Used
Price
Free
Type
Want to buy
Views
City & State