Sold
Condition
Seller refurbished
Price
$11.00
Type
Want to sell
Views
My cousin and I are ready to sell our old-school dory. In many ways, it is bitter-sweet. This is a nostalgic vessel and a definite head-turner on the streets as well as on the water. The former owner (Casey) had this to say when we purchased from him about four years ago: "stoke the fire while you have the chance and when it is time to let her go let someone else do the stoking"; paraphrased, of course. I still credit Casey for his hard work and efforts on this vessel...he deserves the nod.

If you search the Boating Classifieds on BD and type in '18 Dory' you can see the pictures of the labor-intensive restoration by Casey; whom completed 90% of the heavy lifting and contemporary design while still honoring the Dory history of Newport, Long Beach/San Pedro. [This particular Dory was from San Pedro; the build thread includes a picture when this Dory was ditched for dead in a parking lot]. Many see and think this is a Panga, but it is not. Locals know.

That said - this is definitely NOT a boat for everyone and not a boat for every situation. But...for fresh and saltwater it certainly has its place. I never have lake-launched it since we've owned it, but the application is there. For the salt: harbors and inner bays, the Wall, local wrecks and reefs, and perhaps an offshore jaunt when the weather permits. *Sidenote: Casey took her to the 181 and the 43 just to prove that he could...but I will also add that he is a Professional First Responder with very good safety protocols and skills. Translation = plan accordingly if you take any vessel offshore, including this one.

Since purchasing almost four years ago, we swapped out the older 50HP Yamaha with a newer 70HP Yamaha (4-stroke) to replace it. I am estimating model year 2015/2016 while typing this up...and I'd guess it has about 160-175 hours on it; I will verify Yamaha stamp and serial #. This motor will run for years and years if well cared for. West Coast Marine in Costa Mesa provided a thorough inspection and tune-up when we mounted the new outboard. This power combined with the 25 gallon Moeller tank should provide substantial range and fuel economy for a boat of this size; in case gasoline tops $5 this summer!

We also installed a Simrad Go-7 w/ transom-mounted transducer for efficient electronics and everything else is pretty much what you see is what you get - no surprises. Two Interstate batteries under the helm; VHF radio and antenna; compass; rocker panel switch; six rod holders on console + four gunnel mounted; portable NAV lights as needed. Single axle trailer, hence no brakes; just rewired LED lights. Tires are in good shape; one spare tire; two dry hatches forward, awesome transom locker with overboard drain/ no lid. The build thread shows the square bait tank (not a deal maker, deal breaker for me personally, but we have pulled bait and it works just fine). I just applied two coats of Petit non-skid on deck which looks sharp and will provide a safe platform - no slip & falls.

Our personal applications on the Dory: cruise the harbor for fun with family and friends; it was an NAC support boat for outrigger paddling and training; we fish spotties and halibut and bay critters; drifting rockfish/Reds outside Newport and bass up and down the beach on rocks/structure. This is a perfect "local" boat that sips fuel and is so easy to care for; lightweight to tow and move by hand, as needed. Wish I could provide the total weight, but I do not have that data. You could tow this boat and trailer with just about any vehicle; small pickup with 4 cylinder, etc. Launches in very shallow water.

Measurement/specs: 18 feet from bow to tombstone transom + 3 feet from transom to end of outboard on bracket = 21 to 21.5 feet total vessel. Approximately 22.5 feet on trailer total length. Width on trailer is around 90 inches. The highest point of clearance is the windshield at about 80 inches (antenna down). Easy for garage or covered storage if you have the depth to spare.

The reason for selling is simple: I have a larger CC that I fish 98% of the time and my cousin just took a job out of the area. This is too nice of a boat to just let "sit". Admittedly, I did have delusions of fishing grandeur hosting a big yellow or seabass over the rail and into the transom fish locker. Maybe that's yours, too. They are biting.

Glad to discuss and share more photos if you are truly interested. Prefer serious inquiries only, please. This is a gem....and we know it. Thanks for reading.

Ryan
Orange, Calif.
[email protected]
Or, DM me on BD forum

Dorydrifter

Apr 21, 2013
Pacific City, Oregon
Name
Greg
Boat
Big Byte
She’s a beautiful dory. Does she have a flat bottom? Glass over Plywood? Epoxy resin? Was she built from a set of plans or was she designed by the builder? Is she stitch n glue construction?

Upvote 0

Information

Condition
Seller refurbished
Price
$11.00
Type
Want to sell
Views
Sold
City & State