Attention all anglers!
We’re calling on Southern California anglers to join us and @ccacalifornia to help our white seabass population. We’re giving away a $25 aftco.com gift card for each of the first 1,000 white seabass heads caught on a private boat and turned into @hswri between July 1, 2022 and August 31, 2022. Join the cause and find a white seabass head drop-off location near you at ccacalifornia.org/wsb.
The purpose of this collection program is to encourage CPFV’s to save the heads of white seabass caught on their vessels. We hope to collect at least 1,000 heads from white seabass caught in US waters so that they can be genetically tested to determine if they were hatchery-reared. This information will help to support preliminary findings that hatchery-reared white seabass raised and released by the Ocean Resources Enhancement and Hatchery Program are surviving and may be contributing to as much as 30% of the fishery landings.
- Head must come from a legal-sized (28″ or larger) white seabass caught aboard your vessel in US waters.
- Heads MUST be bagged and labeled according to the program requirements.
For each individual or batch of heads saved, a label must be included with the head(s). The information on a label needs to include the vessel name, date, and location where caught for each individual or group of white seabass head(s) saved. If needed, preprinted labels and bags in which to store individual or groups of heads will be provided. Please call the number below if you need labels and bags.
Heads that are received without the pertinent information mentioned above will not count towards either incentive. Therefore, it is important that these labels be completed soon after white seabass are landed on your vessel to assure their accuracy and so that they can be placed into the bag when the head is saved.
We would like to get ALL the heads of white seabass caught on your vessel greater than 28″ in length. The stones (ear bones) in the head are also necessary for aging the fish. So it is very important that we receive the head intact, especially if the fish is detected as being hatchery-reared.
Please note that is a head collected program for scientific purposes and that various organizations conduct fishing tournaments for white seabass during the year. Your customers that are entered in these various contests may need to take their whole white seabass to a specific location in order to submit their catch as an official entry into their respective contests. In this instance, we would appreciate it if you would remind them about dropping off the head of their seabass at a designated drop-off location which they can find at www.hswri.org.
If You Have Any Questions, Comments, Or To Arrange To Have Your Saved Heads Picked Up, Please Contact Mike Shane at 619-226-3946 Or 619-987- 8823.
DROP OFF LOCATIONS
- Santa Barbara Landing – 301 W Cabrillo Blvd, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
- CDFW Office Santa Barbara – 1933 Cliff Dr #9, Santa Barbara, CA 93109
VENTURA / OXNARD
- Channel Island Sportfishing – 4151 S Victoria Ave, Oxnard, CA 93035
- Eric’s Tackle Shop – 2127 E Thompson Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001
MARINA DEL REY
- Marina Del Rey Sportfishing – 13759 Fiji Way, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
REDONDO BEACH / SOUTH BAY
- King Harbor Boat Hoist – 181 N Harbor Dr, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
SAN PEDRO / LONG BEACH
- 22nd St. Landing – 141 W 22nd St, San Pedro, CA 90731
- Pierpoint Landing – 200 Aquarium Way, Long Beach, CA 90802
- Long Beach Sportfishing – 555 Pico Ave, Long Beach, CA 90802
- Avalon Seafood – Green Pleasure Pier, Avalon, CA 90704
- Two Harbors Patrol – 1 Banning House Rd, Avalon, CA 90704
LOS ALAMITOS / HUNTINGTON BEACH
- CDFW Office Los Al – 4665 Lampson Ave # C, Los Alamitos, CA 90720
- Mako Matt’s Marine – 4911 Warner Ave #214, Huntington Beach, CA 92648
- Pacific Edge Bait & Tackle – 5042 Edinger Ave, Huntington Beach, CA 92649
- Anglers Center – 419 Old Newport Blvd, Newport Beach, CA 92663
- Balboa Angling Club – 200 A St, Newport Beach, CA 92661
- Davey’s Locker Sportfishing – 400 Main St, Newport Beach, CA 92661
- Dana Wharf Sportfishing – 34675 Golden Lantern, Dana Point, CA 92629
- Hogan’s Bait & Tackle – 34320 CA-1, Dana Point, CA 92629
- Hubbs Sea-World Research Institute Hatchery -4200 Garfield St, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Dana Landing – 2580 Ingraham St, San Diego, CA 92109
- Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute – 2595 Ingraham St, San Diego, CA 92109
- CDFW San Diego – 3883 Ruffin Rd, San Diego, CA 92123