BD: Where do you live?
Erika Brandt: Ventura, CA
BD: What is you occupation?
Erika Brandt: I’ve been working in Category Management at Harbor Freight Tools for the last eight years.
BD: What are your other hobbies?
Erika Brandt: Is there anything else??? I wrap custom fishing rods and don’t tell anyone; but I also love to crochet
BD: Who or what got you into fishing?
Erika Brandt: I went with a group of friends from work one weekend over 15 years ago. Although I spent a lot of time on the water, it was my first time ever fishing. A WFO Calico bass bite got by blood pumping. Adrenaline kicked in and I was hooked (pun certainly intended). I was back the next day and every opportunity after that.
BD: What types of fishing have you done and where?
Erika Brandt: I fish anywhere there is water. I like to fish fresh water, but my passion is the ocean. I’ve fished the majority of the coast in California and Mexico. My favorite place is Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I like to fish everything from ½-day to 10-day trips.
BD: What is your favorite kind of fishing so far?
Erika Brandt: Offshore tuna by far. I love the serenity of the ocean, the sea life and “national geographic” moments I have seen while on the water. I can’t get enough of the smell of the ocean air, and there is something so exhilarating about flipping a bait out, feeling a bump and watching your line peel off your reel.
My heart beating out of my chest as I throw it in gear…or winding a yo-yo iron as fast as I can and feeling it stop suddenly….The sound of spectra screaming though the guides…. It’s a feeling like none other!!
BD: What are some future goals or plans pertaining to fishing?
Erika Brandt: I would love to learn to fly-fish. It’s one thing I’ve always wanted to do, just never have.
BD: What is on your fishing “bucket list”?
Erika Brandt: Giant Bluefin Tuna, Tarpon, Peacock Bass.
BD: What aspect of fishing do you like the most?
Erika Brandt: You never stop progressing. I learn something new every time I get on the water.
• I love the outdoors, the fresh air, and being one with Mother Nature. It’s an amazingly precious resource.
• I have met so many great people who share the same passion. Being with family, friends, laughing and having fun…Keeps me feeling ALIVE!!!!
BD: Tell us some of your proudest moments in fishing?
Erika Brandt: I am fortunate to have so many.
• Taking my children fishing and watching them catch their first fish…My kids have grown up on and around the water and are carrying on the torch. It thrills me to be able to share time with them doing something we all enjoy so much. Bonding moments for sure.
• Working with other female anglers instructing clinics and classes in casting, knot tying, etc. and watching them take that knowledge to the rail and be self-sufficient.
• Catching my first Cow tuna and then a year later catching a “Super Cow”; a feat not many woman have achieved. I never dreamed I would catch a tuna over 300. Watching close friends experience the same thrill.
BD: What other “aspects of you” would you like to portray?
Erika Brandt: I love wrapping custom fishing rods. The part I take the most pride in is the fact that I do it all from start to finish….from selecting my blank, guides and components, wrapping the rod, rigging all my own gear…. building my own wind-ons, choosing how to rig up, tying my own knots, checking my own drag, etc…
I’m always watching, absorbing, and looking for the next piece of knowledge to utilize that will take me to the next level.