Spinning reels have evolved into very high-tech tools capable of extreme drag pressure that can successfully whoop up on any species of game fish. Ideal for jigging and popping, these heavy-duty spinners are starting to surface in all types of fishing styles. And, Daiwa has made its top-of-the-line spinning reel even better. Daiwa has revamped the Saltiga Spinning reels, adding some very cool, high-tech features.
Daiwa Saltiga Spinning Reel | Daiwa Saltiga 2 Speed
The first thing Daiwa tackled was water intrusion. One of the most susceptible areas to saltwater intrusion on a spinning reel is the rotor bearing. To combat this issue, Daiwa took a lesson from the aerospace industry — seriously! Daiwa borrowed a trick from NASA’s fuel delivery technology, which utilizes magnetic oil. The company had a sample of the oil at the ICAST tackle show and it was fun to play with. Sure enough, move the magnet around and the oil moves right to the magnet. As one of a new generation of Nano Fluids, magnetic oil can change its shape when a magnetic field is applied. Controlled by magnets in the reel’s rotor bearing area, the oil forms a seal between the reel body and the rotor to prevent salt water, dust and grit from intruding into the rotor bearing and body. This results in a watertight seal, or what Daiwa calls Mag Seal. There’s also lower friction than you’d find with rubber type seals.
The cool technology doesn’t end there. In the Saltiga’s new Air Rotor design the company used corrosion-proof “Zaion” carbon construction. According to Daiwa, this design spreads stress more evenly throughout the rotor eliminating high-stress points while eliminating excess material not required for strength. With a lighter, stronger reel you can fish longer without fatigue.
Prepare to hang on with the Saltiga. The reel’s Waterproof UT Carbon Drag is capable of a very impressive 66 pounds of drag when maxed out. Now that is some serious pressure!
To appreciate the new Saltiga, you need to turn the handle a few times, the fluid operation is super smooth. The reel uses a 14 ball bearing drive, including four CRBB corrosion resistant ball bearings. There are five sizes available for various applications. This is a strong, high-end, expensive reel, but you get a very high-tech, high-performance spinner that won’t back down to any fish. The reel took home the ICAST Best Saltwater Reel Award. Besides all of its features and accolades, the Saltiga reel is just plain sexy!
The Saltiga spinning reels cover any saltwater spinning need you might have and retail for $1,099.95 to $1,299.95.
For more information, visit www.daiwa.com.
- Mag Sealed to keep saltwater out
- Air Rotor of corrosion-proof Zaion carbon material for lightweight strength and sensitivity – – shifts balance rearward for comfort
- Automatic rotor brake keeps rotor stationary when bail is open
- Lightweight Aluminum spool with carbon accents. Hard stainless lip is Titanium Nitrided to be virtually cut proof.
- Waterproof UT Carbon Drag, ultra smooth and fade free with up to 66 pounds of drag max
- Smooth, 14 ball bearing drive including 4 CRBB corrosion resistant ball bearings
- Sealed, two ball bearing line roller
- Dual, full-time infinite anti-reverse
- Air Bail — tubular stainless for lightweight strength
- Manual bail trip for maximum reliability
- Digigear digitally designed and cut gearing — ultra smooth, ultra powerful and ultra durable
- Rigid aluminum body
- Machined aluminum handle arm with lightened, two-piece machined knob
|MODEL||BB + RB||INF||GEAR||LINE PER||WT.||LINE CAPACITY||DRAG|
|NEW SALTIGA SALTWATER SPINNING REELS|
|SATG3500H||M||14(4CRBB)+1RB||DUAL||5.7 : 1||38.6||15.5||10/210,12/180,14/150||22.0||$1,099.95|
|SATG4000H||M||14(4CRBB)+1RB||DUAL||5.7 : 1||40.2||15.5||12/260,14/210||22.0||$1,099.95|
|SATG4500H||MH||14(4CRBB)+1RB||DUAL||5.7 : 1||43.3||20.6||14/300, 17/220||33.0||$1,199.95|
|SATG5000H||H||14(4CRBB)+1RB||DUAL||5.7 : 1||47.6||21.2||17/310,20/240||33.0||$1,199.95|
|SATG6500H||XH||14(4CRBB)+1RB||DUAL||5.7 : 1||51.6||28.9||25/300,30/250||66.0||$1,299.95|
|CRBB = Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearing|
|RB = Roller Bearing|