This time of year is always fun if you’re hunting halibut. Halibut love the big tidal swings and they love those spring-time grunions. Once you find a productive hole, it’s time to load up and then fill up the freezer. And, that’s why this fried halibut recipe is so timely. It takes your fresh caught halibut and then transforms it into a tasty crispy BBQ halibut sandwich.
Here is what’s so special about this sandwich. First, the fried halibut batter is made with a combination of flour and then corn starch. That ensures the crust gets very crunchy and stays crunchy, even overnight. Then, there’s the homemade BBQ sauce. While BBQ sauces are available in every super market, making your own gives you the freedom to adjust the sauce to your taste. Maybe you like a lot of garlic, or even hot sauce? Maybe you like your BBQ sauce super savory or sweet? You can adjust all these flavors to your tastes. Once you learn the basics of making your own BBQ sauce, then you’ll be declared a BBQ Master, trust me!!
Crispy Fried Halibut BBQ Sandwich
- 3 halibut fillets, 1/3lb each
- 3 Hamburger buns
- Tomato, medium sliced
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups grape seed oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- Kosher salt
- Dry Rub
- 8 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tsp. mild chili powder
- 1 Tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tsp. cumin powder
- 1 Tsp. coarse pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 Medium diced onion
- 2-3 Cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- ½ Fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. of dry rub (from above)
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 2 Tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 Tbsp. of red raspberry marmalade
Start Making The Fried Halibut Sandwich
- Start with creating the dry rub. Inside a medium sized bowl, begin to add the brown sugar, salt, pepper, chili, cumin and garlic powder, and then mix throughly.
- In a sauce pan, start creating the BBQ sauce by heating the olive oil. And then start sauteing the onions first for a minute or two, then the garlic and then add the 2 tablespoons of the dry rub, for a total of 5 minutes. Now add the ketchup, molasses, along with the lemon and vinegar Finally add the Worcestershire sauce and red raspberry marmalade. Slow simmer for an hour, our until the BBQ sauce has condensed by 1/2.
- Now it’s time to start preheating the vegetable oil to 340-360F, for frying the halibut.
- Create the frying batter by adding the flour, corn starch and then cold water into a large bowl. Whisk throughly to remove any and all lumps while making this batter.
- Place the halibut fillets into the batter and then straight into the heated frying oil. Fry each side for 2-3 minutes until a nice color is achieved.
- To assemble the fried halibut sandwich, start by adding mayonnaise to both the top and bottom buns. Now add sliced red onion, lettuce and then tomato, remembering to add a pinch of salt to the tomatoes. Finally add the fried halibut topped with the BBQ sauce. Enjoy!