Chef Hanis Cavin a native San Diego owns the Carnitas Snack Shack and shares this simple yet delicious reciper for crab meatballs. This recipe makes four dinner-sized portions or eight appetizer-size ones.
Crab Meatballs Recipe
- 1/2-pound crab, finely chopped
- 1/2-pound ground white fish
- 1 Whole egg
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tsp. fresh tarragon, chopped fine
- 1 Tsp. fresh shallot, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 Strips extra thick bacon cut in 1/8-inch pieces
- 2 Medium Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 1 Stalk celery, diced
- 2 cups clam juice
- 2 cups cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp. canola
- Mix together the first six ingredients in a large bowl. Form into one-ounce balls and place on a cold sheet pan into the refrigerator for one hour or overnight.
- Saute the bacon and onion in the canola oil until cooked thoroughly. Add flour to create a roux over low to medium heat. It should reach a wet sand-like consistency in about five minutes.
- Add all the liquid and vegetables and cook on low to medium heat until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Saute the crab meatballs until browned.
- Add the balls to the chowder and cook for five to eight minutes.
- Pour chowder into bowls.