Casa Vieja Lodge would like to wish all of our friends and family a Happy Thanksgiving and we wish you were here celebrating with us! We are very grateful for your friendship and time you spend with us in Guatemala.
While you are perusing through this newsletter between flying, basting the turkey, mashing the potatoes, or listening to the buzzing noise of your in-laws, take advantage of our Cyber Monday Sale that starts today through November 27th. Take 25% off all merchandise with code TAKEMETHERE. Shop HERE.
2017 No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout Results
The 2017 No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout was held November 16-18th at Casa Vieja Lodge. Nine teams managed to release 112 sailfish and 4 blue marlin during 3 days of fishing. A grand total of 93 Sancochos, or missed bites, were accumulated for a donation of $1,860 to local primary schools in Puerto San Jose. Team Spindrift, of South Florida’s Neptune Impact Windows, matched that amount raising the grand total to $3,720.
The first day of fishing had the Finest Kind in the lead with 12 releases, Decisive with Team Bamboo in second place with 10 releases, and third place Intensity with 7 releases.
On the second day of fishing, team El Cadejo pulled into the lead releasing 7 sailfish and 2 blue marlins aboard the 35- ST Contender! The only all-family team consisted of Grandpa Vic, Son-in-law John, and grandson JB (10 years old).
After a night of Karaoking and fishing for Tilapia, a hard-fought battle on the third day was instore. Capt. Rick Murphy on Finest Kind grabbed a fly rod, after some coaching from Capt Salazar, and released the last sailfish of the day on the FLY which bumped their team to first place, a mere 5-point lead ahead of the second-place team! A fantastic win on the fly!
The 2017 No Sancocho Sailfish Shootout Results
First Place: Finest Kind– Joe Neber, Rick Murphy, John Cooper, Juan Manuel Cobar
Second Place: El Cadejo– Vic Wickman, John Mosher, JB Mosher
Third Place: Intensity– Jimbo Thomas, Rick Thomas, Harry Vernon, Jim Jacobs
Largest Dorado: Kathy Murphy, 48 inches
Top Lady Angler: Kathy Murphy; won by time
Sancocho King: Vick Wickman and John Mosher- 8 each
**To see more about the tournament & results click HERE **
While the anglers were out fighting fish, our non-angling ladies went to Monterrico for a morning session of Yoga, released baby turtles, visited the colonial capital of Antigua, hiked Volcano Pacaya, and even had time for massages and relaxed by the pool!
Everyone departed with huge smiles, great stories, renewed friendships, and of course a few headaches!
IWFA Tournament Results
The International Women’s Fishing Association held their annual billfish tournament at Casa Vieja Lodge November 10-11th, 2017. The 24-women angler group pre-fished prior to the tournament as for a handful of ladies this was their first time reeling in pacific sailfish, but for others this is their home away from home! The sailfish bite was on during their tournament and this made for an action-packed trip. In 2 days of fishing on 6 boats the ladies released 228 sailfish and 3 blue marlin.
The IWFA was established in 1955 to promote women’s fishing in an arena primarily dominated by men. Read the tournament wrap up with more pictures in Marlin Magazine HERE. To learn more about joining the IWFA or supporting this organization click HERE. Below are the results.
2nd Place Angler: Fran McKelvey
3rd Place Angler: Connie O’Day1st Place Team: Jill Gaddis, Donna Krehling, Suzie Villere, Serena Wilson
2nd Place Team: Diane Locke, Linda Nolasco, Aledia Tush, Jing Torn
3rd Place Team: Ellen Matthews, Kathy Gillen, Mary Peachin, Fran McKelvey
Top Boat Day 1: Kim Clement, Susan Coleman, Fran McKelvey, Jing Torn
Top Boat Day 2: Joanne Kolius, Brenda Moore, Jing Torn, Serena Wilson
Solo Angler No More
The third edition of our Single Angler’s weekend held on November 1-5th, 2017, was another fantastic chance for solo anglers to get in on the action at Casa Vieja Lodge at a much cheaper rate!
We had some old friends in different states that decided to instead meet up at Casa Vieja Lodge and make a fishing trip out of it, a splendid idea. Another angler couldn’t rile up his friends to all come down together so he took the bull by the horns and took advantage of this solo deal. All solo anglers managed to provide fresh yellowfin tuna and mahi mahi every day for the lodge!
Mark your calendar for the Spring Edition May 10-14th, 2018. Anglers can expect an average of 12-15 sailfish raises, increased chances of blue marlin and yellowfin tuna, flat calm seas, warm weather and of course the best hospitality for your 5-star angling experience!
For $2,930/angler you will fish with the best in the business for 3 full days of fishing, 4 nights lodging (including your own private room), VIP airport transportation, alcohol and meals, laundry service, and the finest tournament tackle. This rate is normally reserved for parties of 4 anglers!
Call us at 1-800-882-4665 to reserve your spot, or gift this to the angler in your life this holiday season. Click HERE to read more.
November is quickly coming to an end and snowy days for many of our clients are on the horizon. Please secure your Spring fishing dates before someone else does. A recent client said on Trip Advisor: “I cannot imagine how much work and vision created such a heaven. I can only say thank you to all!!! My life is better for the experience. And I cannot wait to return!”
Below are some fishing highlights and you can always see the daily fishing report HERE.
- November 10th-18th, the Makaira (37’ Rybovich) with Capt. Jason Brice, had 100 raises, 92 bites, and 53 sailfish releases. They also had 6 marlin raises, 5 marlin bites, 2 marlin releases, and 2 mahi-mahi.
- November 10th-21st the Afinity (39’ Billy Knowles) with Capt. Nico Melendrez, had 127 raises, 115 bites, and 49 sailfish releases. They also had 5 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, 2 marlin releases, and 6 mahi-mahi!
- November 11th-21st, the Finest Kind (40’ Whiticar), had 120 raises, 112 bites, 71 sailfish releases. They also had 3 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, 1 marlin release, 8 mahi-mahi, AND 25 tunas.
- November 11th-21st, the Intensity (37’ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Mike Sheeder, had 141 raises, 118 bites, and 62 sailfish releases! Plus 5 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, and 3 marlin releases.
- November 11th-21st, the Release (37′ Merritt) with Capt. Chico Alvarenga, had 156 raises, 135 bites, and 69 sailfish releases. They also had 4 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites, 4 mahi-mahi, and 4 tuna!
- November 15th-18th, the Spindrift (38’ Stolper) with Capt. Nicho Alvarenga, had 44 raises, 32 bites, and 15 sailfish releases. They also had 4 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites and 5 mahi-mahi.
- November 16th-18th, the Pez Raton (35’ ST Contender) with Capt. Franz Hoffman, had 14 raises, 12 bites, 7 sailfish releases, and 4 tuna!
- November 16th-18th, the El Cadejo (35′ Contender) with Capt. Efron Rizzo, had 32 raises, 28 bites, and 13 sailfish releases. They also had 3 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, and 2 marlin releases!