When it comes to creating a quick summertime meal, I say make a Caribbean tuna salad sandwich. Why? First off, this is a great way to use some of that home canned tuna you have. Then, these sandwiches are packed with yummy Caribbean flavors. And, they’re easy to make without using your stove, oven or grill.
Not cooking, is a big bonus while making this summertime Caribbean tuna salad sandwich. Especially on these hot, dog-days of summer we’re currently experiencing here in SoCal.
First you will need some good canned tuna. That’s usually not a problem for us fishermen. You either have some of your own, or know someone who has some. Secondly, every market carries some Caribbean fruits and vegetables, like mangoes, scotch bonnets and cilantro. With just a few other ingredients you can make a very uncommon and tasty sandwich for your family and friends.
Don’t forget, you can take these sandwiches anywhere, especially on your next fishing trip.
Caribbean Tuna Salad Sandwich
Makes 6 sandwiches
- 6-oz canned tuna
- ½ Red onion, diced
- 2 Celery stalks, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet (habenero) finely chopped
- 2 Stalks green onions, chopped
- 1 Mango, diced
- ½ Red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Bundle cilantro, fine chop
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ Lemon juiced
- 1 Tbsp. of white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. of mayonnaise
- 6 Slices of sourdough bread toasted
- Kosher salt (not needed if you’re using canned tuna from a can)
- Coarse black pepper
- Start by placing the celery, red bell pepper, red onion, green onion, mango, scotch bonnet and then cilantro into a large mixing bowl.
- Now add the mayonnaise, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, pinch of salt and finally the pepper.
- Now mix and then place the Caribbean tuna salad sandwich mixture between 2 slices of toasted bread. Enjoy!