Mexican regulations state that if a vessel with a valid Temporary Importation Permit (TIP) is being sold or is changing ownership, the boat owner or legal representative (whose name is on the permit) must return the document to any Banjercito office in order to cancel it or the next owner will be unable to apply for a TIP under his name for the boat in question.
IF PREVIOUS OWNER IS AVAILABLE:
In order to comply with regulations, the old TIP should be returned to Banjercito. However, if the old owner is not available, the new owner may go to any Banjercito office and request the cancellation of the permit.
For additional information, contact:
Avenida Teniente José Azueta 101,
Recinto Portuario, 21850 Ensenada, B.C.
ADUANAS (CUSTOMS) IN MEXICO CITY
011(52)55-627-2278 ext 6
Ask about TIPs for vessels, which transfers you to “Level 2, Vehicles”
Aduanas in Mexico City is responsible for canceling existing permits; Banjercito needs their authorization to proceed with those cases in which the document has been lost, especially if the person who applied for it in the past is not available. There are currently two options allowing new owners to cancel an existing TIP from a previous owner:
- Mail paperwork to Mexico City
What you will need:
- Proof that the vessel is in the United States. It must include the boat description, registration, hull number, name (if applicable), physical address of the boat, and owner’s information. Ideally, this is satisfied with the dispatch form from Mexican customs from the vessel’s last trip to Mexico. You may send a copy of the marina contract/invoice, slip receipts, US customs receipt, or any documentation that serves as proof of the vessel being in the U.S.; however, please contact them in advance to confirm that your documentation will be valid if you are not providing the dispatch form.
- Proof of ownership(Certificate of Documentation, registration). If the vessel is company owned, you must include a copy of the Articles of Incorporation and/or POA authorizing you to act as a Legal Representative in Mexico.
- Color copy of your passport.
- Letterexplaining why the existing permit is not available … introduce yourself as the current owner, and request a cancellation of the existing permit.
Where to send it:
Administracion Operación Aduanera 3
Administracion Central Operación Aduanera / General de Aduanas
Avenida Hidalgo #77 Modulo 4
1er piso. Colonia Guerrero
Ciudad de Mexico, CP 06300
The cancellation process may take from to two to three weeks.
The next step is to apply for a new TIP online. We encourage you to use DHL, Fedex or UPS to keep track of the documents.
- B) At the Mexican Consulate in Los Angeles
Once a year, Mexican Customs will visit Consulates in California to help boat owners cancel existing TIPs and issue their new permits.
The dates for Southern California visits are usually in the fall (Actual dates to be announced) at the following address:
2401 West 6th St
Los Angeles, CA, 90057
Monday to Friday – 8:00am to 5:00pm
The same documents are needed to cancel the permit (registration, proof of ownership, proof of the boat located within the U.S.).
The phone number for the Banjercito office in Los Angeles is (213)383-7352.
Please note that it is Aduanas (Customs) that has the authorization to cancel existing permits without the presence of the previous owner and the permit itself, and that Banjercito will not be able to assist you on any other date.