How To Get Temporary Boat Importation Permit For Mexico

Temporary boat

Temporary Boat Importation Permit

Mexico Boat Importation Laws (including Baja) require that all boats over 15-feet traveling in Baja have a Temporary Boat Import Permit. Inflatable boats that can collapse and fit into a bag are the only boats that are exempt from this law. However, jet skis, kayaks, canoes, wave runners, etc. are also exempt. If you are a “persona fisica” (physical person, NOT a company), below are the steps that you will need to take to receive a TIP.

You can go online to Banjercito to apply for the permit. You will need to start the process about two weeks before heading to Baja, as you will need to allow time for processing and for the permit to be sent to you in the mail. You cannot process the paperwork more than 60 days before going to Mexico.

To start the application, have the following documents scanned on separate PDF files. Please note that the website will not accept PDF files that exceed 1 MB.

  1. Passport­- (from vessel owner or representative).
  2. FMM, temporary resident or permanent resident visa
  3. Vessel Registration(State or Federal).
  4. Credit Card(cardholder must match vessel owner or representative. If the vessel is owned by a company or LLC, additional documentation is required).
  5. Power of Attorney– authorizing applicant to legally represent the company. Notarized minutes also satisfy this requirement.

Visit the Banjercito website to submit an application and payment.

Select the English tab at top. Follow instructions and download a copy of the receipt, as it may be needed to follow up if the TIP does not arrive after seven business days (take into consideration Mexican holidays).

A fee of $1,022 Mexican pesos (One thousand and twenty two 00/100 Mexican pesos) per vessel is set by the Federal Fee Act (Ley Federal de Derechos).

This permit is be valid for 10 years; however, should the vessel change ownership, Mexican law requires vessel owners/representatives to cancel the current permit. Simply return the permit at any Banjercito office on the last trip to Mexico. ONLY THEN will new owners be able to apply for a new permit.

The original is to be kept on board at all times. It’s important for vessel owners to make copies as replacements are not available.

Banjercito will cancel applications when applicants fail to submit appropriate documents or if submitted information is insufficient or incorrect. A full refund is then issued.

Applicants may contact Banjercito with the FOLIO number located in the payment receipt to inquire about the permit status. When a permit is denied, an email is sent to the applicant with instructions on how to comply.

Alternatively, you can stop at the border on your way into Baja with your paperwork in order. You can go into the Aduanas (Customs) building at the border and they will direct you to the Banjercito where you will pay and get your permit. Any vessel built before 1975 must be processed at the border.

You will need to cross at the Otay Mesa or Tecate border crossings as you are NOT able to get your permit at the San Ysidro, El Chaparral Port of entry.

You will need the boat and the following paperwork with you and have the original AND a copy of each of the items below as you will be asked to turn in the copies in order to get your permit.

  • Passport or Passport Card
  • FMM, temporary resident or permanent resident visa
  • Boat and trailer registration or title
  • Motor serial number
  • If there is a lienholder on the boat, you must have a letter from the lienholder granting permission to take the vessel to Mexico.

Boats registered under a family trust will not be accepted even if your name is on the trust. All vessels must be owned by a person or company only. If the vessel is registered under a company, you will need to present a letter of authorization on company letterhead granting you permission to take the boat to Mexico.

The fee for the TIP varies slightly from day to day but is around $880 Mexican pesos and can be paid in pesos, dollars or by credit card. The permit is good for 10 years and is good for multiple entry.

If your boat is already in Baja, you will need to go to Pichilingue in Baja Sur with the above paperwork to complete the process. Only the owner of the boat can complete this process. (They will not accept a Power of Attorney).

Otay hours: Mon-Sat: 8am-9pm Sun: 9am-6pm.

Tecate hours: 8am-4pm every day.

Pichilingue hours: Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat: 7am-3pm Tues, Thur: 7am-5pm Sun: 8:30am-4:30pm.

Most marinas also require “on-the-water” boat liability insurance. Visit BoatUS for easy, affordable Mexican Boat Insurance.

Back to Fishing In Mexico – An Angler’s Guide To Baja

That Baja Guy-Gary Graham, the BD Outdoors Baja Editor, has more than five decades fishing experience off of Southern California and the Baja Peninsula. From light tackle and fly up to offshore marlin fishing, Gary has experienced all facets of this fishery. He's set several fly-fishing world record...