AFTCO 500000 Conservation
The American Fishing Tackle Company (AFTCO) has long been known for producing quality saltwater fishing products and working on important ocean conservation issues within the sport fishing community.
From AFTCO’s own line of fishing clothing and saltwater tackle, to licensed products by artists Al Agnew and Guy Harvey, AFTCO blends a love for fishing with a desire to give back to the oceans.
For more than 50 years, AFTCO has donated proceeds from the sale of AFTCO tackle and clothing products to various causes aimed at protecting our fishing resources and angler access to these resources.
Over the years additional contributions have personally been made by members of the Shedd family, who own AFTCO. With the introduction of clothing and t-shirts by Guy Harvey in 2004, AFTCO began to donate additional proceeds from the sale of those items to the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation. The money that is donated back to the Guy Harvey Ocean foundation helps to fund ocean and marine education and conservation.
Each year, through the purchase of AFTCO’s products, AFTCO’s customer are given a unique opportunity to voice their support for the ocean resources that recreational fisherman have grown to cherish. In 2012, this support amounted to approximately $500,000.
This $500,000 was distributed to some of the most respected fishing and conservation organizations in the world. Many additional grassroots organizations and individuals who share with AFTCO and its customers a passion for recreational fishing, also received contributions. This year, the most notable causes and organizations that received financial contributions from AFTCO and the Shedd family included: Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation, California MLPA Lawsuit, Hubbs Seaworld Research Institute, International Game Fish Association (IGFA), and the Center for Coastal Conservation.
On top of the $500,000 that was donated by AFTCO this year, AFTCO and Guy Harvey partnered in multiple efforts that directly benefited causes like breast cancer awareness, the Rigs to Reef program in the Gulf of Mexico, and support for military families through sales of special Guy Harvey t-shirts.
In previous years, AFTCO and its employees have played a pivotal role in a wide range of causes, including:
1. The removal of shark longlines from California waters.
2. Getting proposition 132 passed which removed gillnets from state waters in Southern California.
3. The Rigs to Reef program.
4. The founding of the Hubbs Sea-World Research Institute.
5. The establishment of the first-of-its-kind white sea bass hatchery in Carlsbad, California, which raises and then releases white seabass back into the wild.
6. The AFTCO Tag Flag tournament, and a variety of other causes and numerous tag and release efforts.
7. AFTCO continues to donate a significant amount of time to fight for the fishing public’s right to reasonable access to the public marine resource. To learn more about angler access issues and other important issues visit www.keepamericafishing.org.
For more information on AFTCO’s role in marine fishery issues, visit www.aftco.com.