Wicked Tuna

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range Fishing' started by scratcher, Apr 9, 2012.

1. scratcher

Anybody watch that new show Wicked Tuna from the east coast ? I was wondering why they pull on the spectra while they crank on the reel. It seems odd. I like the chum release bucket to keep the birds away.
  2. m_mcgourty

I caught an episode this weekend. Looks like they're using some pretty old 80wide international single speed reels, they probably pull just to get some line back.
  3. seriola_killer

Not too impressed with these guys, although the show seems to have the makings of being a winner. Something about meatheads from Boston I guess... They all seem to be a bit on the stupid side. Like on that show Lobstermen. Just a constant clusterfuck on the deck. These guys would get eaten alive in the Bering Sea.
  4. Steve K

Sure was good to see those guys on Hard Merchandise catch one. I thought they were going to start crying!

Pulling the line with one hand and turning the handle with the other just aids in getting line back on the reel. You'll see deckhands on Long Range boats doing it sometimes to help an angler finish off a fish.
  5. bsumoba

Why did that guy on the last episode stick the tuna not knowing if it was legal size or not? He just made it by an inch.

Seems like they all fish very similarly...anchor or drift and then have the bait rods out and wait for a mark on the fishfinder. I wonder if they troll or kite fish for them boys....
  6. DannyNoonan

My vote is it's a pretty dumb show...

Caught last nights episode and it was seriously lame. Deadliest catch it's not, and even Swords had a little more going on...

The only one dumber is that goofy River Monsters...
  7. alan760

An hour of chunking...woo woo. Its not all that exciting to do in person but to watch it on the toob??? Deadliest Catch starts tomorrow, yeah!
  8. lynndeva

gaff first, measure second? I think they're doing it wrong?
  9. Holi-e-Mackeral

Does anyone know what the comercial limits are for the bluefin on the East Coast for the comecials ?

Jeff
  10. Ol Pedro

By editing they make them seem dumber than they are almost like they have an agenda. A lot of my friends fish Cod on the Tuna.com and Dave is a good Captain . They have fished Giants in this way for quite some time . They anchor up and put a ball close to the end of the line and toss it out when they hook up and chase the fish down .
  11. 2MAYEtoes

Haven't seen this show but I can admit that I love River Monsters :supergay:
  12. tap

River Monsters is fun-it gets you outdoors to some exotic locations even though the main character is kind of whimpy, nervous, slightly incompetent and timid he's good to watch. That Wicked Tuna is also good-who wants to rely on a depleted species of fish (bluefin tuna) to pay your bills and you have a $10,000 fish on the line with a small circle hook in it's mouth as you struggle to get it under control before it breaks off? Now that's drama!

Tony Peña
    "The Roving Angler"
  13. Whiskey

"Not too impressed with these guys, although the show seems to have the makings of being a winner. Something about meatheads from Boston I guess... They all seem to be a bit on the stupid side. Like on that show Lobstermen. Just a constant clusterfuck on the deck. These guys would get eaten alive in the Bering Sea.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> "

:rofl:Jersey Shore meets Deadliest Catch? Sounds like I need to get cable. I can't even watch that show Whale Wars because the asshats running the boat frustrate me too much. I can't believe they haven't sunk that killer boat yet.
  14. spudgrud

First of all, I live in Boston and minus being 3,000 miles from Baja, I love it here. That said, the guys on Wicked Tuna appear to be morons. Other than the main guy (the young one) everyone seems to be assholes and in some cases, pretty incompetent. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]<o:p> </o:p>
    The first thing that makes me think this is the fact that they insist on fishing in New England. I may be mistaken but the non-commercial captains in PEI appear to have a much higher success rate than the guys on tv. While I understand being close to home, there's a reason king crab fisherman don't fish in Puget Sound.<o:p></o:p>
    Also, the same bald guy had the audacity to brag to the camera that he's caught "over 300 of them." Call me crazy but if that's all you've caught and you do this for a living&#8230;you suck.
    Finally, he had the nerve to tear his deckhand/buddy a new asshole when a tuna spit the hook because "that was our only shot!" If he's so concerned with catching one fish, he should do it himself. After all, he's caught 300&#8230;
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I was looking forward to this show and it's disappointing that felt the need to shut it off after 15 minutes. Maybe I got the wrong impression, but any producer who premiers a show with that content might want to find another profession as well.
  15. bradnoble

I think they need to dial into live bait fishing without a huge jig to pin bait on.......
  16. Ol Pedro

Brad , they are using the jig to catch live bait . Live ling , Squirrel Hake , and Whiting are prime Bluefin/Yellowfin bait . I have caught 80 lb Yellowfin on live Ling . They may be boxing up Cod to sell at home while they wait for a bite from the larger models .
  17. yellowfin13x

18. chamackO

19. mikeyairtime

More drama than a junior high dance. One guy sets up and all the rest follow him around, wait that's just like here.
  20. Ol Pedro

Like the Kelp beds on the 4th of July Weekend . They might be in Tuna.com's code group .