why learn to fly fish???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by baitcasterboy20, May 4, 2010.

?

What Kind Of Fly Fishing Do You Like

1. saltwater

13 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. freshwater

27 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. both fresh and salt

60 vote(s)
    60.0%

Share This Page

1. baitcasterboy20

i think i might like to learn how to fly fish

but i don't really know why i shoud try, and if i do try i'll be fishing saltwater.
  2. Marcus

I added another option as most guys out here who flyfish in the saly love doing it just as much in the fresh also.

I do both but find I do more in the salt as there isn't that much good freshwater flyfishing nearby
  3. OFN

To do it justice have someone teach you how to tie your own flies. There is a real sense of satisfaction catching fish with something you made.
  4. FlyinFishOTI

In the fresh, there's no better way to present the flies properly to the fish. It's kind of hard to cast a 1/2" of feather and hook with a 2# spinning rig.

For the salt, you can fish shellfish imitations and baitfish imitations with a certain type of action you can't mimic with spinning gear. Not that you can't fish these well with spinning gear, but the action you get with stripping line by hand is different and sometimes more appealing. And again, you can't really cast a crab fly or streamer with a conventional setup very well.

Marcus, I haven't forgotten about getting you on some creeks! Only creek fish I've gotten this year were from a family camping trip in the Santa Barbara Mountains. The local flows have settled down a bit I think, but I haven't made it out for a couple months to check them out. I'll let you know!
  5. johndtuttle

The reason to Fly Fish is that it is absolutely the best way to match what the fish in streams actually are eating in Fresh Water. A little less so in lakes but still true.

When you "Match the Hatch" exactly and learn how to present flies properly you then begin to absolutely haul in fish after fish after fish.

It is INSANELY effective but with a steep learning curve and you basically have to learn the unique insect population of whatever body of water you are fishing. Then once you have it dailed in you will DESTROY fish like nobodies business. It's almost unfair it works so good. Especially for trout in lakes and streams.

For Salt, I believe the same holds true for flats fishing where the water is so shallow that regular gear cannot target the fish adequately. Other than that (say offshore etc) it makes absolutely no sense to me as there are more than enough challenges w/o having to complicate things with flies.
  6. en-vision rods

Fly fishing can be great fun, it is very challenging at the same time. I have taught casting and guided for many years, and I have seen many people get hooked on the adrenaline. Fly fishing is very visual most of the time you are casting at fish you already see and the bite usually is phenomenal.

That being said, it is also like golf in a way. you either pick it up easy and love it or struggle and hate it. So any investment you make to begin with should be minimal.

The only fly shop in palm beach county is in Boca it is called The Ole Florida fly Shop and is owned by Darren Selznick. They have casting seminars fairly often. If you live in north palm beach county you will have to go to Stuart, there are i think two shops there. Once upon a time one of the best shops was in Downtown west palm, unfortunately it closed.

i suggest you get in touch with a fly shop (don't go to Gander Mountain) there are many tackle shops around but none who really focus on fly fishing. The only one who has some knowledge would be Fishing Headquarters in Jupiter.

Your other options are private lessons, or monthly inshore meetings at West Palm Beach Fishing Club. There are many accomplished fly fisherman there.
  7. en-vision rods

I agree, tying your own flies and then fishing them is awesome, and so much a part of the experience.
  8. teahupoo

Life cycle of a angler.

A. start out trying to catch anything.
    B. then you try catching a lot of fish.
    C. then you start trying to catch the big one.
    D. Then you start trying to catch the special one.
    E. Finally you take up fly fishing.
  9. baitcasterboy20

have any of you guys fly fished in a kayak. because i'm going to buy a nice new kayak and i'll spend most of my fishing time in the yak. so i won't be fishing from shore as much as i do now
  10. widgeon

Sounds about right, except for the fly fishing. I've done a little (very little) fly fishing. Even tied a few flies and caught a few trout on said flies. Now I'm in between B and C.
    :confused:
  11. widgeon

The guy I do most of my kayak fishing with brings along a fly rod once in a while. He uses it in the bay for spotties n such.
  12. Swarthy Dago

Nice brindle in you avatar ! are these not the best dogs in the world ?
    • why learn to fly fish???-misty1.jpg
  13. baitcasterboy20

why not gander mountain??

does fihsing headquarter's guys sell fly gear and or flies??
  14. en-vision rods

"Jessie" is one of the best dogs we have EVER owned, that says alot because in my 44 years walking the earth i have had a dog all of them.

EB Terriers ROCK!!!!

we immortalized her in a weave on one of our rods, thats the pic in the avatar
    • why learn to fly fish???-IMG_7719.JPG
  15. en-vision rods

gander mountain has fly eqpt. but you better know what you want, their "pros" may be pros at some things but not fly fishing.

alot of the flies they have at gm are a bit substandard and lack local favorites. the fly tying material they have is substandard to what you will get from a fly shop that specializes in eqpt.

Yes Fish HQ has some eqpt. it is kinda hidden in the corner, Pete and Tommy have one of the best tackle shops in florida period, but they are not famous for fly tackle.

i really recommend you do your R&D at local fly shops. Ole Florida fly shop (Boca) Southern Angler, or John B's in Stuart.
  16. en-vision rods

yaks work well, not great.

there are things you can do to make them better platforms for fly fishing. the single best mod would be outriggers. This allows you to pole the yak and stand and sight fish.

def need to consider the riggers
  17. Wahoosnofish

Ive got a CAM SIGLER 12 wt saltwater 3 piece for sale. trout are trout. there a whole ocean out there...
  18. amorea5

thanks for the info one those tackel shops
  19. TWreports

I have fished my entire life. Growing up in So Cal I started fishing Castaic Lake and Casitas from the time I was in Diapers. I was a huge bass junkie for years and fished All the team tournaments I could possibly fish while I was in high school and college. After college I got hooked on the salt and couldn't even think about going to a lake to fish for bass again. It just seemed to bore me. It wasn't until I moved to Mammoth Lakes over 5 years ago that I picked up my first fly rod. Fly fishing has absolutely changed my life forever. There is nothing more full filling than standing next to a river and seeing fish feeding and figuring out the exact bug that they are eating and the exact stage that, that bug is in that they are feeding on. After 5 years of fishing for nothing but trout, I have regained the need to go back to my roots and fish for bass again. But this time it has been with my fly rod. 3 months ago I told my buddy we should go fish Castaic Lake since that was where my fishing had first started off. After going to my old bass spots on the lake and hooking several large mouths and stripers I was just blown away. It was the one of the most exciting times of my whole life. I remember sitting back and telling my buddy that you could have never told me I would be casting a fly rod on this lake 10 years ago. I would have just laughed in your face. There is something about fly fishing that can't really be explained to somebody until you try it for the first time. So no matter what your fishing experince is and no matter what you fish for I say you must try fly fishing. One of the other posts mentioned how fly fishing does have a steep learning curve and I highly recommend taking a guide out for your first time though. You will be able to learn how to cast and be taught how to read the water and learn what the fish are feeding on and just catch fish. There is so much that goes into fly fishing that it can really be overwhelming to the beginner and sometimes discourages a lot of people from trying it out.

GL and I hope to hear about your first experience fly fishing in future posts.

Jason Fritz
    http://www.troutwaterreports.com
    http://www.basswaterguides.com
  20. baitcasterboy20

that does sound exiting but have you ever tried in saltwater???