Why do Texans hate Penn so much?

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by sfef84, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

1. sfef84

The Wold of PENN forum may not be the best place to ask, but the bias for Shimano v PENN is so strong in Texas, I can't get a fair answer on Texas Boards.

I grew up offshore fishing in San Diego and moved to Texas a while ago. The guys in the Gulf Of Mexico (GOM) are obsessed with Shimano and when asked why the disdain towards PENN, the answer is "because Shimano is the best."

I don't get it.
  2. picasso

I don't think that attitude is exclusive to Texas. Plenty of boys in California feel the same way.
    Penn used to be the best, but for they let the competition get ahead of them.
    Picasso
  3. cmartin50

shimano does alot of small game equip and when kids in tex start with small game(bass/redfish) gear by shimano, the first name they think of when they want to go bigger stuff is the brand theyve been choosing for years. thats why i bought my shimmy toriums
  4. tunanorth

Now THAT's a loaded question if there ever was one!
    I don't think it's necessarily true about Texas, but certainly anyone can have a strong preference for any brand, and they are entitled to do so.
    There was indeed a period where several ownership changes happened in a relatively short span [2001-2007], which pretty much stalled new product innovation for Penn.
    The good news is that with almost 5 years of very stable ownership and management, product R&D has been moving forward strongly, but it does take time.
    Compared to the 2010 catalogue, the 2012 Penn catalogue has 51 new reel models, so lots of great new reels are hitting store shelves [more to come], and lots of performance innovation like the "live spindle" feature.
    A couple of things I have observed in many locations [not just Texas] are making an "apples vs. oranges" comparison; usually with a price disparity by comparing say, a $100 reel with a $300 reel.
    What also can happen is an angler has had a given Penn model for many years [sometimes decades], and then decides its time to look at something newer [or a friend has something cool and new].
    Then they go down to their local tackle store and look at 3 or 4 different cool new models of whatever brands, which look and feel really nice, but since they already have a Penn, they just figure the new Penns will be like what they already have, and don't look at them.
    Bottom line, there are many great fishing tackle brands on the market; take a look at the Penn model that fits your needs, in the price range that works for you, and you'll find they are on par with, or better than, anything out there.
  5. Locke N Load

Penn v. Shimano
    Accurate v. Avet
    Ford v. Chevy
    Mercedes v. BMW

All solid choices you can't go wrong with so it comes down to personal preference.
  6. seriola_killer

Very true Locke N Load! 5 years ago if asked Penn v. Shimano I would have said Shimano hands down. Now, with the Torque, Fathom, and Squall, I'm not so sure.

Accurate v. Avet? My personal opinion is Accurate is the superior product, although people tell me that Avet's come a long way. I gave up on them a couple years back because of that damn drag creep. Maybe the've fixed this, I don't know.

Mercedes v. BMW? BMW all the way ;)
  7. DoubletroubleII

Many Texans like Shimano reels because they make the Texas Longhorn reel clamps for them :rofl:
  8. Capt. G

I say : "Buy Penn....buy American!" (Oh wait, most, if not all the inshore/light tackle Penn reels under $250 are NOT made in America).

I heart my sets of Penn International reels...from the 955's to the 130's..and my fav of them all ..the Penn International fly reels....I have three of them, and they are strong as new rope. I think these are still made in the USA?
  9. Northeastfshman Advertiser

A better question might be...

Why would someone's first post on BD be a question of why people prefer Shimano to Penn in Texas :rofl:
  10. tunanorth

It is a bit of a conundrum the way it is phrased; something like: "When did you stop beating your wife?", but my guess would be because BD is the second-busiest saltwater-centric fishing website in the [English speaking] world, and he figured he could get a straight answer.
  11. Northeastfshman Advertiser

I know :). I'm just saying come out and ask the question...everyone is nice here and will give you their honest opnion.

I had the opportunity to discuss this directly with Penn. There market position was a bullet proof, middle price point US made product. The 704z is still the go to reel for surfcasters that can't afford a Van Stall or Zeebos even thought it's been out of production for i don't 20 years now? They left that position when they went to China. I certainly understand the need to manufacture in China. Everyone wants a US made product but doesn't want to pay for it. That being said when you're brands strenght is litterally being one of the oldest U.S. made products in the category that's a tough pill to swallow.

That being said the product development has greatly improved :). Nice work guys
  12. tunanorth

Right now it is 35 different reel models that are "Made in USA", plus another 11 "stock" bail/color options, plus everything in the Custom Color Shop.
    I know of a minimum of 5 additional new models that will be unveiled at ICAST in July that will also be US-made.
  13. sfef84

I knew the first post thing would come up... Like i said in the post... Boards here in Texas are pretty boased and most members wouldnt take the time to answer without being drama queens.

Thanks a

Another thing I noticed about Texan anglers is the amount of tackle overkill... I caught a 144lb yft in cabo when i was 12 with some crap ass reel and 30lb test. Here in Texas, nothing less than an 80w 2 speed spooled with 100lb braid will do.

Thanks again. Look forward to mooching off the boards!

Tight lines fo sho!
  14. sfef84

Very true. This thinking is probably the reason why Penn came out with a baitcaster
  15. DannyNoonan

16. Bada Bing

Similar but not identical to what Apple did back in the 80's. With the advent of the open source PC, Apple was quickly declining so what did they do? They created a program to put Apple computers in as many elementary and high schools as they could thereby gaining consumers from the womb. Genius! Nevertheless... Shimano Rules and Apples are still gay :D
  17. falconer

Penn could manufacture die cast aluminum reels and injection molded side plate/stamped SS side plate rings (their historical bread and butter) in the US if they wanted to, and still make money. The price differential isn't that great. Witness, Master Lock padlocks just moved their entire production from China back to the US (http://www.masterlock.com/products/Master_Lock_Supports_American_Jobs.jsp).
    There are no significant supply chain issues, unlike with computers or cell phones. Electricity and feedstock materials like natural gas are cheap in the US and will remain so for a long time. If Penn were a publicly traded company I could understand not producing in the US. I could understand it, but not condone it. Since Penn is a privately (or at least closely held) company, like Polartek/Malden Mills, they could manufacture in the US. But consider this - they are designing and manufacturing for a global market, and Indonesian, Australian and Phillipino anglers probably don't care if the reels are made in the US or in Guangdong. Probably good to walk in Penn's shoes, too.

I care, though. But, I'm a 62 year-old baby boomer, and virtually all businesses are looking way beyond us. Get over it it, fellas, we just don't figure in strategic business planning or product development. If Cal and Eric Sheets can keep us in business with SoCal "hot rod" mods, and the folks at Avet and Accurate can find a way to make a profit producing in the US with mainly CNC machined products, so be it. Kind of a shame, though, that we have to accept only being able to have a small voice with a tiny range of companies, with respect to their high-end products. We can pound sand on the value lines which are comparable to Saltists and Toriums, using die cast alloy frames and side plates. If Barry Grant and Edelbrock can make caburetors and carb parts in the US you'd think Penn could make good reels at a profit here too. Same technology.

Just sayin'. Don't mean to jump the thread from Penn haters in Texas to "made in USA" issues, but there is a linkage between the two topics.
  18. jesse

I admit that I jumped ship from my trusty Jigmaster Yellowtail Specials for some Trinidads when they came out but I was In a shop today and the new Penn's looked and felt awesome. Not to mention the prices were legit. I think I am going to Pick one up.. Has anybody fished a Sargus yet?
    J
  19. tunanorth

For the record, Penn is in fact a publicly traded company, as part of Jarden Corp., and as mentioned, the other successful US reel manufacturers are doing it with CNC reels, same as the main portion of Penn's US production consists of.
  20. Stryker20

The "consumers from the womb" comment holds a lot of water.

I was raised on Penn products from very early on.

I lived in Kentucky until I was 8 or so, and can remember fishing one of those old blue spin-cast reels on an old metal seat Mitchell rod. I was fuckin thrilled when I got my first new reel for christmas. A Penn 109.

We moved to Texas in 87 and the Penn following there was devout. When I fished that little 109 in Corpus Christi, I felt like I could land anything that swam more or less.

I had that thing from age 7 through to when I left home for the military in 97. It got lost, along with a couple jigmasters and a Sea-boy and a 113H.

I still fish jigmasters and the "H" model Senators for tuna. I still use 209's as diver reels for Coho, and a couple 9m's for inshore bass and lings. My 965 is my all-time favorite reel of my entire collection, but that little TRQ100 follows very closely.

I use Avets for my bait reels for tuna up here, because I haven't seen a small lever drag product from Penn that will compete there. Penn Senators do all my trolling duty and my heavy bottom fishing still, and I doubt I'll retire them for quite some time. You won't find a single Shimano in my entire outfit, and probably never will. Hell, I just pulled the trigger on my first non-Penn spinner a couple months back and got a Daiwa Saltist 4500.

I personally believe that there is an overwhelming amount of people in Texas that are severely biased because they don't know any better and are too fucking stubborn to change. Therein lies the problem for the OP.