Which Scope?

Discussion in 'Gun Talk' started by DV8Pilot, Mar 2, 2011.

1. DV8Pilot

.257 WBY, pronghorn gun primarily.

Looking at either a Nikon Monarch (4-16X42) or a Leupold VX3 (4.5-14X40).
  2. Outhouse

I'm a Leupold freak.
  3. abdiver7777

I just bought a VX3 - CDS for my 270.........

Cabela's.... came with 2 custom dials, lens pen, and a neopreme cover....... $499.00
  4. Fjold

A scope that I have that really impresses me for the bang for the buck is the Burris Fullfield II in 4.5x14. Great glass, repeatable clicks, I really like the Varminter Reticle.

I have a lot of more expensive Leupies, Nightforce, etc. but this Burris for $300-$350 is just a great scope.
  5. marlyn

Leupolds are just great scopes and you cant go wrong with them.
  6. doughnut

Leupolds are a good part, but overpriced for what you get. Look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 next to a VX-3 ( actually look through them, preferrably at dusk) you will see what I mean. Heres a good resource. http://www.opticstalk.com/
  7. flytyer

Very difficult to fault either Leupold or Burris. I hear their customer service is first-rate also, but never had to use it. Those two makes are about 90% of my "glass collection".

One element to keep in mind concerning light transmission......the objective lens diameter as it relates to magnification level. This is sometimes referred to as "exit pupil diameter". The ideal EPD is 5mm, because that is the average size of the human eye's pupil in ambient lighting. Anything larger is wasted, anything smaller restricts potential light transmission. THIS is why most conventional 7X binoculars use 35mm objective lenses (7 x 35), 8X uses 40mm or 42mm, and 10X uses 50mm. Exit pupil size is arrived at by dividing the objective lens diameter by the magnification level.

Does this mean that a 16X scope "needs" an 80mm objective lens? Not at all. But in subdued-light environments, dial back the magnification to allow the maximum possible transmissible light through for your eye(s).

Ultimately, your shooting eye is the rifle's rear sight.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  8. SandShark

Lot of good data here. Don't overlook the WOTAC line. Matt Wonders is a hell of a guy and backs his play better than anyone I have dealt with. I have been kicking the shit out of a gen2 4-14 for three years on my SPS Tac .308 and it is a very underpriced piece of glass for the performance. I love his reticle design. Plus dude can really shoot. He rolls his custom .260 with the fixed 12x. I am adding one for LD shooting to switch out with my ACOG TA-33 on my AR.
    http://www.sightwonders.com/wotac.html
  9. matt colesworth

Leupold customer service is outstanding
  10. Sober

I have used Luepold customer service and it is excellent. I think either scope will do but luepold is what I would go with