Which half day boat?--Matt Walsh (LA) vs. San Pedro Special (22nd St)vs SoCal(Pierpt)

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by mik911, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mik911

Will be headed out next week for an afternoon half day, targeting Sandies/Barries with a couple kids.
    Which of the above boats is best? ie friendly staff, closest to fishing grounds, etc.
  2. Mischief

The Native Sun out of LBSF Berth 55,.. :D
  3. seapuppy

22nd street sucks... All their reports are full of shit... Honestly it was the worst trip I ever went on. Crew was stealing sunglasses out of peoples bag. Oh yah, no fish. Not griping though, just wish somebody would have told me:)
  4. Tunahead

HA my dad 1st took me on the Matt Walsh in 1952 age 6 for a limit
    of Log cuda at the Horseshoe Kelp. But now...no idea. That boat
    always seems to be on the fish, all I can tell ya! LOL
  5. daweez

I'd do 22nd St before pier point. La harbor is good. I thought berth 55 was closing?
  6. makohunterz

It is but theres still a lil time left
  7. BurningHeart

The Monte Carlo(22nd St) and the Matt Walsh are good boats, friendly crew and very helpful.
  8. dalurker

i would focus more on the Boat Type. depending on the age of the kids, a nice boat is paramount. true it'd be nice to "Catch Fish", but being all the boats fish the same general area, i would select a "Kid Friendly Boat" first. The Native Sun (if running 1/2 day), and Monte Carlo are larger boats with excellent galleys for the kids to enjoy and lay down should they need to get some rest.

Don't forget, kids do get seasick too!barf

Something to ponder ~ JMHO...
  9. twofinbluna

I fish 1/2 day a lot out of Long beach marina sportfishing ,and they have a friendly office staff, captain, and crew. The only thing is they need a minimum of 10 paid tickets to get out. You may call them at (562) 598-6649 for reservations. Also, they will have promotions- one child(15 and younger) fish for free with each paying adult on weekdays starting June 18 thru August something, don't remember the ending date. You can call and ask for more information.
  10. rookie angler

My bro-in-law and I took our kids on the Socal last week and had a blast. Crew was very helpful. I didn't want to be a burdon so I tried helping all 4 kids myself and not rely too much on the crew but they insisted on helping. My 8 yr old niece caught her first barracuda and one of the deckhands was right there with her the whole time keeping the cuda from the dogs. I would highly recommend for kids.
  11. petey29

The Monte Carlo out of 22nd street landing is a good choice good crew and it has a huge galley in case ur kid wants to take a nap.:hali_olutta:
  12. SAN PEDRO BAIT

Excellent advice!!

Also, if you have any question about the boat and or crew, go down to 22nd between trips or at the end of the day and see/ask for Danny (owner/ operator) He runs the boat most of the time during the day and will be more than happy to give you a tour of the boat and introduce you to the crew. You wont be dissapointed. And im not just saying that because im from San Pedro:)
  13. mandoman68

Yup.Great landing.
  14. Mikieb

Navy Seal Reallllly ??? Crew was stealing glasses out of peoples bags. You couldn't stop them ? Mr.Seal what a douche bag you are :imdumb:
  15. DsplacdKamaaina

If you're set on the half day boats, I've been on the southern cal with my niece and they were pretty helpful. I've also been on the Matt Walsh quite a bit this year and those guys are pretty awesome as well, the capt goes at the fish real hard!

If you're willing to spend a little more time and money, I really like the Tradition out of redondo however, that's a 3/4 day trip. I like that boat for your purpose as the crew is definitely on it!

Moral of the story: If you're planning on going out of the south bay / long beach guys on a 3/4 day or less trip, the crew is going to be well-prepared to help out with kids and beginners (i.e. Patient, understanding, trustworthy).

Good luck out there and thank you for introducing the next generation of voters to what sport fishing is like first hand rather than propaganda...

Tight lines!
  16. COCKTAILS

MONTE CARLO ALL DAY..........BOAT RIDES NICE, LARGE GALLEY, ALWAYS ON FISH.
    CREW HAS ALWAYS BEEN MORE THAN HELP FULL.
  17. mik911

Monte Carlo is now a 3/4 day boat, and San Pedro Special is running 1/2 day out of 22nd St.
    I agree with you guys, that a comfortable boat for the kids may be the ticket.

So, between Matt Walsh (LA Harbor) and Southern Cal (Pierpoint), which boat is larger/cleaner/seating in galley (ie kid friendly)?

thanks all
  18. darrin8

same with me i dont like 22nd street landing they make up there fish counts on tuesday they posted up the pursuit got 22 white seabass and they went to catalina island. but yet i was on the water that day fishing the enterprise at the flats when i also saw the pursuit there catching cuda! dont know how they got white seabass! as far as a half day goes i would say the monte carlo even though its out of 22nd street i like the boat other than that i like long beach marina sportfishing the enterprise or the city of long beach best boats i been on
  19. fishnfinatic14

Daveyslocker! hit up the Freelance...
  20. BurningHeart

I've never been on the Southern Cal, but the Matt Walsh has a big galley and they make big tasty burgers on the cheap :)