Where is it made?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by m_mcgourty, Dec 15, 2011.

1. m_mcgourty

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Accurate: Made in the USA

Avet: Made in the USA

Newell: Made in the USA

Penn: Higher end in USA / older and lower end models China?

Progear: ???

Tiburon: Made in the USA

Diawa: Higher end in Japan / older and lower end models China?

Simmano: Higher end in Japan / older and lower end models China?

If I'm wrong please enlighten me. In this economy with my precious disposable income I'm trying to support my fellow American workers.:deadhorse
  2. middleofnowhere

Okuma = Republic of China (Taiwan)

Ardent Reels = USA

Penn International and Torque are still made in USA
  3. DoubletroubleII

Are there any reels or rods made in Poland........just askin.......
  4. tunanorth

The "threshold" for "Made in USA" on Penn reels is at about $249.
    A total of 34 different models, not including a couple of bail options and numerous color options.
    Includes International lever drag, Torque lever drag, International baitcasters [star and lever], Torque star drag, GLD's, Torque spinning reels, 10/0 Senators and 113HN Baja Specials.
    It was economic reality that still-popular models like the 500 and 320 be made offshore, or simply stop making them.
  5. DoubletroubleII

I'm glad Penn makes some reels here..........thinkin' the world is changin'.........maybe time to come back with all of the line......marketing changes everyday.

Penn were my reels of choice in the 70's & 80's.
  6. tunanorth

Penn has 53 new models in the 2012 catalogue that were not in the 2010 catalogue.
    Not everyone is aware of just how many new models there really are; and that threshold for "Made in USA" is still at around $249.
    Of the various "field-test" models I used this fall, slated for the 2013 catalogue, 5 of them will be "Made in USA", and 6 of them will not [again, reality].
    I know of at least one high-end $1300 reel [not Penn] that is being produced in China.
  7. J.AkuHed

ProGear=Republic of Monterey Park
  8. smithers

Tiburons are now made overseas. (Think the new 50 is being made in USA for now at least)

The older tibs say "Made in USA" while the newer ones have the softer handle grip and improved helical gearing. As much as I like US-made, this is a better product.

Charkbait this week has a weekly special that includes a price drop on Tiburons. They are being promoted as "Made in the USA" I think that is an error (unless they are unloading older stock)
  9. tungtide

I just bought a Fin-noir sa 16. I forgot to ask where it was made. I assumed that Zebco was a USA, made reel. Being headquartered in Oaklahoma. I was wrong. China is stamped on the base. In the future it will be Accurate. I want my money going to my American brothers.
  10. NorthShore41

Tib and Okuma I believe are Engineered here... Newell = not made anymore, but made in USA originally. I am afraid the new business plan for Newell may include cheaper manufacturing methods to increase profitability
  11. J.AkuHed

Unless you are buying the reels directly offshore, China, Korea, Japan, etc., you are buying American! Shop owner, stock boy, delivery guy, IT geek, all US employed, born and bred. You don't buy a reel, any reel, you're hurting somebody. Check out how many tackle shops have closed?
    Ever try and buy a hook made in the USA? I think Eagle Claw's the only one, just sayin. . .
  12. smithers

The issue Jim is manufacturing jobs and the yearly trade deficit. The US once dominated now we have a trade deficit over 40billion a year. All those middleman jobs you listed have noth ing to do with this. Politicians don't give a damn they just keep passing more regulations that make it even more difficult for USA products to be built. Only two things will change this: Americans become so poor we work for same wages as 2.5 b1illion Indians and Chineae. Or consumers step up and demand US products at a premium. I wont criticize anyone who does otherwise, but ill pay maybe 20% more for that made in USA stamp. Last car was an Accura just bought a new Ford import was totally out of the question. 10% unemployment and 17 trillion national debt come on!
  13. J.AkuHed

Oh sorry, misunderstood!
    You mean like Accurate, Avet and Tib using CNC machine made in China by Okuma?
    Unfortunately, a lot of the manufacturing jobs lost were due to companies' lean towards hi-tech robotics and automation. I have read that the majority of the unemplyed in manufacturing done in the South were not re-hireable because of their lack of skills with said automation.
    But I digress. . .
  14. JRD

Im wondering about this also. Even though the US produces Bauxite ore, the main suppliers are international. Used to make the base 6061 aluminum that the reels are produced from, can we say anything is truly made in america anymore? (Except our kids of course). I went through the legalities of this recently in relationship to jewelry manufacturing and at its most common usage "Made in the USA" truly means assembled in the USA. The parts and pieces may be made in other places and often it might be the US assembly workers who's jobs we are saving. Depends on the product but the "american made parts" index can be somewhere between 50% and 75%.

I am confident that Avet, Accurate, Penn etc. buy the highest quality base material they can find within economic realities and then machine and assemble it here. They can accurately and legally say "Made in America" but as with any rally cry you find yourself standing on a slippery slope.

Do we start comparing the manufacturing plants as well? Is the equipment made in the USA? Are all the workers US Citizens, born and raised? Or naturalized? Do we make that distinction? (I hope not). Are all the cars driven by these "American" manufacturers made in the USA? I'm wondering if the Avet, Accurate, etc., employees might have a stray Shimano reel in their quiver? Or god forbid lead weight manufactured offshore.

Its easy to be a hippocrite if you start to draw clear lines in a very unclear economic time.

Im not sure about today, but I can remember when Ford and Chevy were manufactured in Canada and Mexico, so really we were buying "Made in North America." Actually Jesse you better check your Ford may have been made in Canada since Ford is manufactured there as well as many global sites - ummm then what?

Im more inclinded to "Support American Business" where possible, even if they are selling products made elsewhere. The smaller tackle stores, manufacturers using offshore manufacturing stock, etc., etc. All other things being equal buy American, but often they are not equal. Then we have to look at "support American" whatever that means.

I remember something about the "land of the free" "democracy" and all those other funny phrases.

Now before you jump on me too heavy. My family through three generations have fought for the US, all of my 9 brothers and I were in the Marines either in Korea, Viet Nam or Iraq. You may not like my point of view but I think I have earned it. (hmm sorta Jack Nicholson'ish.) Just as you have earned your point of view.

Now having said that, we should all get off our imported computers and get onto American Owned and operated fishing vessels and support your local economy!!!!

I wanna go fishing!!
  15. Locke N Load

I think you would be very hard-pressed to find anything 100% American made with American raw materials and American machines by Americans. I can't think of anything.
  16. smithers

All good points and I realize nothing is black and white. But I still believe that how you spend your money involves meaningful choices. (In loony CA I dont get much satisfaction from casting my vote it's a quiet protest) I wanted a Ford specifically because they refused the bailout cash. Shit aku is right mine was assembled in Ontario lol.
    For reels I'd love to buy an Accurate or Avet (Tiburon gets 1/2 credit) but I think the new WC Makairas really stand out. Like I said, Ill pay more for a US brand or US made but if the best in class is foreign sure I'll bite. Unless the other guys have some surprises at FHS I'll be coming back with Maks in 10, 15, 20. If money was no object sure I'd just collect ATDs.

Might sound like I'm backing off but that's just because my earlier post was defending the OP's attempt to deal with these issues. I'm not hardcore about it but think this country is far up the creek and any little people are willing to do shouldn't be dismissed.
  17. af dreamer

I really dont believe the penn 500s and 65s would have moved to china if the reel buyers would have paid the price necessary to charge for them.I remember when 10s of thousands were sold but when the reels got to the 40 then the 50 dollar price range and no profit for the retailer sales dropped.FWIW,Tom
  18. gpaul1961

Avet and Penn are my personal buys.

Thank the panty waste pricks in Congress. The Trade Treaties are where it went bad. That was the start. Once big business got a taste of cheaper labor, it was Katie bar the door. Our national Walmart mentality took it from there.

Truly, the quality of manufacturing from some of the Asian markets is excellent. While we have been pushing pencils and making deals, they have been making huge investments and advancements in manufacturing technologies. There are several machining operations that we cant duplicate here at the level of receptive accuracy that they can. Not in massive production anyway.

We in many ways created the perfect weapon with which to beat ourselves to death. It seems to be working flawlessly.
  19. Truliner

Pro gears are made in the US. City of industry to be exact
  20. smithers

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?topic_ID=112119&page=1

Found that thread yesterday.
    Somebody in there says to expect new Tibueon models soon and that they will be made in the US. So I might not get the Maks after all assuming they make FHS. Personally i like the SST but wouldnt be surprised if they come out with some more manual shift gear swap models since many dont like auto.