whats the best way to cast a conventional reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Dario M, May 10, 2012.

1. Dario M

What is the best way to cast a conventional reel? to be more specific Daiwa sealine 40 x sha i have a 7 foot deckhand style rod and i have cast out with other reels and no birds nest but with my new daiwa every cast gets a medium size birds nest and the cast does not satisfy me. I have Gotten Some REALLY good cast on the reel but maybe only 1 out of 10 cast satisfy me is there a specific way i should do it? any tips are greatly appreciated.
  2. ShadowX

Are you getting the bird's nest while the line is peeling out or you didn't apply enough thumb pressure when the lure hits the water? With smaller lures, sometimes its harder to see when it hits the water, so you get a little overspooling after the lure hits the water. It is easier to cast heavier weights without overspool than a very light lure/bait.

If you are getting a bird's nest while the line is going out, adjust the tension knob on the freespool so the lure drops down with the rod at a 45 degree angle at a controlled speed. Too much tension may cause the cast to be short, so adjust the tension carefully. Also, try not to whip the rod tip when you cast. Once you are good with casting, you can do that for longer range, but for starters, just use a nice steady smooth cast. Make sure the line is back on the reel evenly. If its on loosely after a retrieve, it may cause a snag and result in a bird's nest.

Mostly, its just practice until your thumb develops a feel for when to apply light pressure on the spool as the line goes out. It helps to use a reel with either a magnetic or a Shimano VBS braking system. You really don't need it once you are good, but its a good way to learn how to cast properly for beginners. I don't know what reels you had before, but it may have a braking system. With the Daiwa Sealine, your thumb is the braking system. I rather learn how to cast on the Sealine and once you are good, casting the other reels are a breeze.

One thing I learned is that practicing on a lake from land is not the same as a rocking boat! I practiced on a lake until I thought I was good. As soon as I got on a cattle boat, there is very little room in the bow. On top of that, the boat was rocking, so you have to stay steady. The captain and a lot of the other people casting let the lures come down until it almost hits the deck with the rod at 45 degree angle and swing the lure out in a pendulum motion. People on some youtube videos show how to casting from a beach in a wild swinging motion, but will not work very well on a boat. You always keep an eye on the lure to make sure nobody gets close and let people around you know that you're "going out." Its not about how far you can cast, but how far you can cast without killing someone.

Just go out and practice, practice, practice..
  3. genaro12390

X2

I completely agree! Practice, practice, practice. Go to the local school park, field, etc. and practice casting. Better yet, hop on a 1/2 day boat and practice there.

Good luck
  4. txwoody

Have you installed drag blocks, adjusted tension knob or adjusted lube viscosity?
    All of these can speed up or slow down a reel.
  5. REELKING

just hand it over to someone that knows how to use that reel............
    then go over to charkbait in HB and buy yourself a avet
  6. Fishybuzz

that's silly ...IMO the Daiwa is a better casting reel than a lever drag Avet...
  7. 1:11

birdsnest, you need more thumb buddy, its all there is to it, technique probably needs some work too.
  8. dkd711

Avets suck! :finger:
  9. gonefishin31

Avet's are excellent reels, but i think the shimano or daiwa are better casting reels.
  10. saltwaterfish

yep re the avet
  11. 30lbbg2299

practicing day after day after day after day after day!!
  12. Reel hip

All usefull info. Minus the opinions on the reels.
  13. polfishski

I started with a penn 500. Once you master that the rest are a cake walk. I practice with an old jig with the treble removed. Go to your local school and cast the football field. You can see your improvement and the barbless jig doesnt get stuck. The wind from behind will be your best friend.
  14. stairman

it is also important to wind the line back evenly...

if you have high and low spots and the line goes over them on the cast the spool will speed up on the low spots and slow down on the high spots making it tough to keep the birdnest from happening
  15. Cory Admin

16. get some BD Pro Staff

17. DannyNoonan

The "best way to cast a conventional reel", if you don't know what you're doing? Tie it to the end of a spinning combo and have at it, of course...
  18. gregg6653

X2

their service techs customer service is even worse.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
  19. Swarthy Dago

when the line is going out, watch the first 12 inches of the line as it leaves the reel, when you see an arc start to form (the line is no longer straight and tight) just touch the spool and slow it down a tad, you see when that arc starts to form the line is slowing down but the spool isn't, it takes some practice but it works really well, if there is no arc, don't touch it

oh, wet the line and guides to with water, it helps