What to do with excess hoop net rope?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tutorials by Members' started by Mambo, Nov 21, 2006.

Share This Page

1. Mambo

Hi all,
    I have just started hoop fishing and my family has really enjoyed it.
    My question is.....I bought the Promar nets...I have two Eclipse and three 36". When fishing...what do you do with the excess rope? I can see that you dont want 35 to 50 feet of line floating as it could be a hazard. I have coiled and zip tied the excess next to the float but I bet there is a better idea.

I wonder if there is a sliding clip or way of securing the float that might serve both needs?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Rick
    "Sniper"
    Parker 2320
  2. Ali Admin

Most use zip ties.

I bought some cable clamps at home depot and they worked good.

Also rod wrap style velcro would work awesome also.
  3. Stanley

Do a search on here...someone had a system where they brought 10' lengths of rope with a loop on each end. Then just added or subtracted lengths as needed.
  4. doughnut

you can use a little plastic "H" shaped extension cord reel with a little bungie. They work killer, Home Depot has them. You ust reel from the float down and secure with a couple of those little hoop/ball bungies. When you are on the water, just unreel needed length and re-secure. Very tidy, and allows for easy depth changes.
  5. FISHY

sheepshank knots or put lead on your line.
  6. screaming_spool

yup. zip tie a 10 oz weight on the line and watch it pull down out of the way
  7. midnightrambler

what i do is thread the rope thru your float then tie on a foot of chain to the end of ur rope. it acts like a sliding sinker.
  8. Double Z

We'll see if this works.

The rope comes up from the float and goes through the heavy pipe. Up through the pipe and through a smooth ring in the bottom of your float then back down to attach to the pipe. With this system, 60' of rope will automatically stay tight in 30 - 60' of water. It fights wind, tide, and current. We use the system for target bouys.

Same deal as Brian's system but it keeps the lines together.
  9. FISHY

sheepshank knots work awesome for floating rope. used them for years and after you get the hang of it the adjustments are simple. or I pour round leads and run innertube material thru them and put on the rope rubber band style. they go on and off easy and dont jump out of the block. ive got a couple dyes for local brothers
  10. Robert Loughran

I've put 10 oz. weight on the end of the rope, I have 10 nets, 5 are 75' in lenght the other 5 are 50'. I have the lenght noted on the float. When you toss them over the excess slides down. not only does this keep all the rope clean, but it makes the float stay right over the top of the hoop, which is perfect when you go to pull. I've been told that the bugs can feel any kind of moment and will leave the net if you fuck with the line much. Torpedo wights, with zip ties on each eylet. Hope that makes sense. Good luck. If you want I can take a pic of mine and send it to you. Let me know via PM.
  11. Mambo

You guys are awesome!....thanks for all the great advice.

Rick
    "Sniper"
    Parker 2320
  12. Afry

That's my thought...also what do you do when hooping in 5-10'?

I cut all mine to 50' and zip tie them - not much to tangle.
  13. Mo Betta

In 5 to 10 feet Im too busy trying to back the hell up LOL I just make 10- 15foot top shots and loop to loop connect them.

I just BBQ'd the last of my bugs, I gotta get some more...soon!
  14. cvjarrod

Use 20' sections with loops at each end. You can double up one to get a 10' section. Working with long pieces of cheap rope in the dark is a recipe for tangles. Anyone who has done some hoop netting can tell you of the joys of tangled rope.

Also, the more rope you have out, the more the tide will drag your traps around, even if you zip tie the excess. That means more weight needs to be added in the trap which leads to more sore backs.

20' sections are really easy to coil up and stow. It allows you to use however much rope you want in 10' increments and the rest of the rope sits coiled up in a milk crate.

Pulling up the traps is enough work for me, so I've never tried the rope weighting idea.
  15. the hook

http://www.cableclamp.com/

Are these the ones you use, Ali? I got some at Home Depot and they work awesome.

hj
  16. Red Drum

After nine years of hooping, I have found the $0.99 cent cord winders from Orchard Supply Hardware to be the best thing to use for the hoop net rope. It's a piece of cake to either shorten or lenghten the rope and there's no need for weights, cable ties, tape, clamps etc. There is 140 ft of 3/8 inch poly rope wrapped around the cord winder in the picture below. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]
  17. Saluki

Thanks Vince. :notworthy
  18. Double Z

That's good stuff Vince.
  19. Red Drum

Your welcome Brandon. I tie the cord winder about 2ft feet below the marker bottle. When pulling in the net, it's a good idea to make sure to put the cord winder to the side, away from the incoming line. That will help to avoid any possible tangling when redeploying the net.

I estimate one wrap around the cord winder to be about 2ft in length. That way I can sort of estimate how many times I need to unwind the rope in relation to how deep I'll be hooping.
  20. Red Drum

Thanks bro!