What is the best yellowtail rod and reel setup?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by edreirios, Feb 3, 2011.

Share This Page

1. edreirios

I have a question for all the yellowtail killers out there.
    I want to get your guys perspective on what is the best yellowtail setup for either surface iron or heavy iron.
    I like the Ulua's and reels not to fast 4.9-5.5 ratio.
    Let me know what you think.
  2. No Cal Lou

Baja Yellowtail are stupid. When they are on the bite any 40# to 60# outfit work depending on the location and size.

No Cal Lou
  3. california2

Get an Ulua full 10ft model. I love the CEX-Ulua. Its a composite rod that is light. You can cast all day long!!! For the reel, purely for YT, I say the Newell 533 with this outfit. The Baja special Penn reel is just too heavy.
  4. yellowkilla

My favorite set up for yellows is my 8' seeker black steele 20-40 coupled with an Avet mxl 2 speed... Great for whippin iron and live bait as well. I dont like too long of a rod cuz when you get em to the boat and they start to dive I like to have that leverage, throw my reel in high gear and make em turn their head and come straight back up!
  5. YANK N CRANK #2

I will not suggest its the best as this is really a personal preference thing... But I love to kill yellows on my Calstar 100J and a newell 533 5.5..
  6. riverplayer

My two favorites I go to are a seeker 6490 and of coarse the 10' Ulua....Both with TN20's of coarse.....
  7. AWC360

9' graftech with a tn30 is my personal favorite
  8. Junyy

Personal Favorite

Seeker G6480
    Avet MXL or Torium 30
  9. Luv2Fish

There are 2 schools of thought here for Yellows on the iron. Surface iron which most of the responses are geared to and yo-yo iron. For me personally, the reels are the same, a Newell 533-5.5 as for rods, I like my SS-Ulua cut to 9-7" for surface iron and for the heavy yo-yo (Tady 4/0 and such) I use a Calstar 610H 7' 30-80...The heavier rod does not bottom out while dragging the heavy iron and, there's still alot of backbone to set the hook (I know you don't "technically" set the hook but you guys know what I mean). And the heavy rod is great when you land the big Alijos Rocks yellows. Alijos Rocks 2002 I landed a 96# amberjack (Yellowtail on steroids) on the 610H 40# mono and a Tady 4/0...whatta fight that was!
    Anyway, something else to think about for YT on the iron.
  10. perch munky

Supper seeker f100 cut 2" off the tip and 4" from the butt and a trinidad 16 is the perfect jig stick for yellows
  11. Ready4TheYellow

Daiwa Beef Stick with a Daiwa Sweepfire 1500....We have them on Sale for $19.99
  12. lovefofish

cheep kencor 9' and a pos sealine?
  13. okie man

a calstar 850h and a torque 200 make a nice light weight jig set up and will work good for bait and yo-yo also
  14. olderfisher

Good call Steve. Fish it one trip and give it to a kid standing on the dock that wants to fish. I like that!
  15. hammerhick27

my personal preference for the ability to throw iron but horse the huge home guard mossbacks out the rocks or cabbage is a kencore 800xh with a jx raptor some say over kill but for the yoyo this rig cannot be beat. JMO
  16. bochixter

Seeker ulua w/ a newell s533-5.5 full of 50# mono or a calstar 100j with a newell p338 full of 40# mono. For surface

And for the yoyo
    I will go with a seeker blacksteel 6470h and a penn baja special 3/4 full of 65# spectra and a a top shot of 50 # mono.
  17. bochixter

Seeker ulua w/ a newell s533-5.5 full of 50# mono or a calstar 100j with a newell p338 full of 40# mono. For surface

And for the yoyo
    I will go with a seeker blacksteel 6470h and a penn baja special 3/4 full of 65# spectra and a a top shot of 50 # mono.
  18. renev

simple 800m with a trini 16 30lb test keep it simple
  19. Surfdoc

Tuna cord with a 100# topshot... handline them bitch...:D
  20. coastalwerks

Top Water:
    United Composite (New Skool GUSAs) 85 Mega 8'6" on a Trinidad 16A
    Calstar 850M with Progear 545 YTail Special or Trinidad 16-30DC

YoYo:
    Well 7' to 7' 1/2" Rod Calstar or your likings along with a low gear ratio reel. Too many options but you get the idea. Line rating 30-60lb on the average depending on were your fishing.

I've caught a lot of Yellow and i have to tell yah, it varies on condition. Yellow's are sensitive to water temperature and conditions. Sometimes time of the year depending on bait they are after.