What is the best mono??

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Skagitsteelhead, Feb 8, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Skagitsteelhead

Just wanted to get some opinions, I want to hear from you all. All types of fishing and all species. For a mainline what is your favorite. I use Izorline Hi-Vis over just about everything. I mainly use spinning gear, but I use quite a bit of level wind reels too. I fish mainly in rivers, and Hi vis line can be used in almost every fishery I do. The times when I cant use hi vis, I use Maxima Ultragreen. But it is not as tough as Izor. I'm watching this Tred Barta guy on TV right now and wondeing what hi-vis 20 he uses. When I'm Sturgeon fishing I use red Power Pro, the red seems to last a little longer then green.
  2. Skagitsteelhead

And while I'm at it, what types of braided line do you like?
  3. ConSeaMate

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Triline Big Game.......
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  4. sxkid

pline strong stuff
  5. Jason Admin

Spectra (braided line)
    Jerry Brown Line One used to be my favorite due to no wax and soft feel.
    Berkley Braid seems to be pretty much the same thing but a lot cheaper...

Berkley Big Game or Trilene have also been good to me. I like the clear over the smoked or green. It's cheap enough that I can replace line and not feel it in the pocket book...
    The best line is fresh line...

IMO for florocarbon Seagaur is good. Very durable.
  6. The Notorious S.U.A

I used Jerry Brown and its a good product, that being said, This new momoi spectra is really cool. Seaguar is great for flouro, and its a toss up between Momoi and Jinkai for the mono.
  7. b.thomas

big game or ande.
    :jig:
  8. SpikeCB22

P-line CXX and either blackwater or jerry brown spectra.
  9. Moseley

P-line fo sho
  10. IglooMan

Maxima Ultragreen or Izorline blue for mono...
  11. dctalk523

best mono? hmm... no such thing as best. a lot of folks swear by p-line but i think it's to stiff. i vote for big game. quality line and price is nice. you can find deals on the big spools. hope this helps.
  12. gecsr1

Big Game & Ande
  13. kerncat

Ande clear..I recall when Ande and Maxima were about the only quality mono choices instead of using the old dacron and drug store mono...been using the Ande clear for everything for lots of years and it always is consistant..I may even "break down" and try some braided line this year but that's still up for grabs...I'll have to get someone to show me how to tie it.
  14. TurdRoller

ande...was a p-line guy myself when the original was available since it was much thinner than other mono however that stuff's hard to come by so i just stick with good old ande. cheap and works fine. there's a reason why every landing in san diego trusts their rent rods with it
  15. Mike JB

Ande clear, consistently perfect.
  16. Deno

I like Maxima Ultragreen, but thinking about trying Berkley Big Game this season.
  17. Sluester

Berkley Big Game
  18. FishStalker

Coke!!!!

Pepsi!!!

Coke!!!

Pepsi!!!

That's how these threads usually end LOL
  19. SpikeCB22

Pfft, Tab fo' lyfe, asshole
  20. tinfish

p-line... broke a rod in south bay before the line snapped... crummy rod :)