What good can you say about PV??

Discussion in 'Mainland Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by ALUMINATOR, Mar 26, 2011.

Share This Page

1. ALUMINATOR

I am looking for all the reasons that you love Puerto Vallarta! When did you start going? The Captains that fish hard? Your favorite boat or bar?

For the last week or so we have heard the negative reports from there and yes it can and will happen but there are a lot of us that still have many good memories and as far as I am conceived PV is still one of the best locations to catch big tuna and make friendships that will last a lifetime.

Without looking back on my old pictures to get a date, my first experience in PV was with Josh. Even if I don't see eye to eye with him on everything I will always say he is one of the hardest fisherman I have fished with!! Back then we had to catch our own bait all night and then head out to the tuna grounds. One of the first trips Ali and I were on the old Grady and had a double hook up on the tuna. For the first time in my life I had a fish that was kicking my ass and taking line as fast as being hooked up to a Mac Truck!! I will never forget when Josh told me to brake mine off because Ali's was bigger and we could not handle two of these monsters at the same time. I wanted to tell Ali to kiss my butt, but being new to these big tuna I followed Josh's wishes. Ali landed the biggest tuna I have ever seen. Will things changed over the years and bigger tuna were landed! After Bogii writes his book I would like to try one myself.LOL

Then comes Drew with a new boat to fill the gaps and Mark (mstonefish) and I have the privilege to brake it in!! What a trip this one turns into! So many big fish that it might take years to have a better trip. Tony and crew put Mark and I onto world class tuna, marlin, dorado and every thing that swims down there! We end up with a couple 300 ++ tuna and memories that will last a life time! I also don't want to forget another friendship with Drew that you don't find everyday!

Then comes Manny. I don't know where to start here! This Guy has educated me more on PV fishing that anybody! Who leaves the dock hours ahead of the others and has always produced?? I feel lucky to be able to call him a friend! Manny's Father is another one of those special people you meet once in your lifetime!

Top Gun with Capt Jaun, Both Danny's and Scotty are always are close to the fish and again more friendships! When does it end?

For the past few years I have been blessed to hook up with Dave and his son Gene and their sweet Bertram Zig Zag. One of the nicest 35 footers I have fished on! What has made this boat work so well is the Captain! Caesar is a long time local know to many by his nickname Pepino (pickle or cucumber in Spanish) I forget at times to remember who it is that sits at the wheel while we take a nap in the morning and again on the ride home! Who has the contacts for our bait, ice, lunches and keeps Dave's boat in top shape!!

I could go on and on about why I love PV and my many friends but want to hear why it is a special place to you too!!

PS, I still owe Barnes a beer and I am trying my best to spend some time with him soon! Bogii on the other hand still scares me! LOL I sure I have forgotten others like Gernsey (another good fisherman) and all the BD turneys we used to have! The book will come out soon, as soon as Stan (Tinknocker) edits it for me. Yes!!! I am still working hard to get the old ALUMINATOT down there.
  2. MYNomad

My boat was there for several months last fall & spring. I made several trips with fishing buddies and caught fish and had fun every time. PV is easier to get to than La Paz (more flights), and Paradise Village was a nice place to be. Due primarily to safety concerns, my family only went down once, but the other night one of my three daughters said that the restaurant Fajita Republic, was her favorite anywhere, and the other two agreed. The fact that we dinghied up the river to get there -- kind of like Pirates of the Carribean, but the alligators are real -- was part of the attraction. My girls (who are all competitive sailors) also got to sail with the PVYC Juniors, which they enjoyed. Hopefully, I can get them to come back this year. My wife heard about the island incident, but since she knew that we had known (we thought it was excessive caution at the time) to keep our distance, she didn't look at that as something that could have happened to us. (Although, there was some debate among our crew, and our "local knowledge" deck hands kept saying no problem.)
  3. Tues

I took my family there on a vacation 5 years ago...

Not to bore you with the details of the trip but it was the 7 best days I've ever had!

I will go back! And, I will bring my family.

(Paradise Village)
  4. ALUMINATOR

I might be going out on a limb a bit but I wanted to share part of an email I received from Josh. Times do change and I hope people do too. I am still a believer in man kind and God knows how many times I have screw up in my life time. Barnes has been after me to make amends with Josh since I met him and this might help.

From Josh:

I couldn't agree with Dennis more. With all of the negativity and turmoil going on in the world today, the last thing any of us need is to be at each other's throats or focusing our energy into anything less than positive things. Our collective journey's down here in PV over the years have been filled with remarkable achievements, incredible friendships, valuable lessons, and some truly once in a lifetime moments both on and off the water.

All of us can remember the years when we were out there day after day, slugging it out as a team and taking part in one of the most spectacular fisheries this side of the Pacific has ever known. All of the local guys down here deserve the utmost respect and credit for putting in long hours of dedicated effort. I have never seen a group of fishermen in any of my travels that work as hard as the core captains in the PV area. Nor have I encountered a group that works as closely together out on the water to ensure that everybody catches fish.

I can vividly remember days when the usual spots failed to produce, and the fleet would spread out in all directions looking for action. The boys would keep in contact with each other and when something of interest was found the radio would light up and whoever found the fish would immediately call the other boats in. There's something to be said about that kind of teamwork and communication, and I have to take my hat off to the PV fleet for truly showing the kind of sportsmanship that exemplifies what it means to be sportsmen.

As the years went by and PV became "famous", we all endured our share of the ups and downs that comes with that kind of attention. Some of us handled it better than others. Some of us (particularly me) definitely let it go to our heads. There were certainly a few years there where our system broke down and things risked falling apart. I can't speak for everyone of course, but I know I definitely did many things which put our previously flawless system into jeopardy. I am definitely not proud of that.

Personally, the last decade in PV has helped me grow up mentally, spiritually, and professionally and has unquestionably changed my life in a myriad of ways. When I first got down here I had no idea what i was getting into. I simply up and left Canada and showed up in Sayulita with no friends, connections, or any idea of what lay in wait just a few miles offshore. Those first two or three years were filled with an amazing diet of discovery and adventure that I will likely never duplicate in my lifetime. It was an incredible time for me personally, and the fishing that I soon found myself in the midst of was to change the course of my life forevermore.

The attention during the PV prime definitely got to my head, as did many of the nefarious things that are easily attainable down here. While I can't erase these past mistakes, I consider myself indefinitely lucky that I managed to pull through those "bad years" and emerge as a wiser person with a healthy respect for the consequences of making bad decisions. Sure I was young and "fired up!", but that doesn't really qualify as an excuse.

In the past few years I've worked very hard to clean up my act and concentrate on the things in life that truly matter. Things like friendship, healthy living, and above all FAMILY count far more than the sum of more nefarious things. I've seen many others in my life go through similar changes, and I consider us all truly lucky to have realized all of this before it was too late.

Dennis should be commended for taking the initiative and letting us all know that it doesn't pay to focus on the negative. Some might argue that hey, this is a fishing site and there's no place for this kind of bullshit. But I beg to differ.

While there are some out there who don't really give a shit about the deeper meaning, I think I speak for most of us in the PV community when I say that we have developed a rare phenomenon down here that succeeds in blending lifestyle, friendship, fun, and of course - FISHING! It's time that we move towards the good old days once again and get back to what brought us all down here together in the first place. Believe me when I tell you that despite all of the cartel crap coming out of Mexico lately, PV is still a haven for good times and incredible adventure. The cycle will continue as it has since time immemorial, and the years when we had massive schools of big tuna and marlin at the Rock and Bank will happen again. I know that I'll be here to see it, and I truly hope that all of you will be down here too.

Here's to the future amigos, I look forward to sharing the next ten wonderful years of EPIC adventures and BEYOND with all of you.

(PS, I know I'm technically BANNED from BD, but I asked Dennis to post this up for me as I really wanted to clear the air and touch base with you guys once again. Good luck out there, and most of all - GOOD FISHING!)

Capt Josh Temple
  5. Tues

Good read...Always enjoyed BD for good reads. Need more of them...
  6. dhamarsportfish

THIS PLACE IS GOING TO COME A LIVE AGIN , THANKS TO ALL
  7. Nuckin' Futs

I sincerely hope Josh is clean. I might change the past few years to past few months but if he's truly on the right path it's a good thing.
  8. Saluki

Outstanding read Josh! :appl:
  9. wils

X2
  10. Lou W

We have been going down to PV for a number of years now and will continue to do so. The biggest hassle in all the time going there has consistently been the LA airport, nothing down in PV has been a problem. Like some others here Paradise Village is our home base several times a year but we have no problem renting a car and tooling around the local towns and countryside. I do not see it as anymore dangerous than areas of LA, SD, Chicago or any other major metro area or some rural areas of the states for that matter.
  11. mooningu

X2. I miss the writings and adventures of Josh.

For me PV is still my favorite Mexico destination. I just discovered Mexico & Baja fishing about 7 years ago and have been to all the popular spots.
    PV is #1 and La Paz is a very close #2.

I had the pleasure of fishing with Manny and his crew down there and I can not say enough great things about this man. They fish hard and will put you on fish !!! On top of being a great crew, they they are just good people. Even if the fishing sucked (which it doesn't) it still would be a fun trip.

For my wife Cancun is her #1 but PV is a very close second. Great people, food, and fun. We will still keep going back.
  12. Gmoney!

Dennis I am not so sure I have anything bad to say about PV. Love the place, the people, the captains, and the memories. Maybe I was a tad one sided when I first started going down there but I really did enjoy fishing with Josh and Lora. As time went by, I expanded my horizons and fished with others. All the captains that everyone mentions on here are world class and the fishing has never disappointed.

I have some regrets about things that went down on here, some of the guys I have apologized to already personally, others maybe I have not, but as you get older, you get wiser, and learn that life is too short to waste negative energy on.

I have not been to PV since that last trip with you and John. Definitely miss it. Although I dont miss your stinky sandals lol.

Mexico is Mexico and you either love it or leave it. I personally love it and deal with whatever bad comes with the good. But I do hope that something is done to preserve the fishery down there. It would be a shame to see it waste away.

All I know is I cannot wait until I can make it down there again.

G
  13. Captain Jeff Illingworth

I LOVE PV I SPENT A YEAR THERE 1 NIGHT!

-J
  14. Bullshipper

X2
  15. inSTANt bendo

Is there an "Unbanned" button? If so, please push it.

I too had my first PV fishing experience with Josh. It was his enthusiasm, correction....unabashed passion and zeal for the sport and that fishery that got me "hooked" on PV. Not to mention the introduction of "Big Gulp" cups full of alcoholic concoctions that would kill the average human after a stellar meal at Margaritas.:drunk During what Josh self-admittedly calls the "bad years", I lost respect for him, but just like nature, people go through seasons too. It's refreshing to read his writings again and hear that he has turned a page and entered into a new season in life....one that appears to recognize the past and strive toward a far more meaningful and fulfilling tomorrow. Kudos to you buddy!! It'd be refreshing to see you around here again. (wishful thinking)

Having ventured out and fished with most of the top captains, stayed in just about every hotel/resort/condo between PV and Punta Mita and experienced the people, the food and the surroundings....I love the place! Nothing, nobody and nowhere is perfect, but what I've found is that most of life and what you do during it is only ever going to amount to the sum of what YOU make of it. I wish I could visit with far more frequency. Have even discussed with the wife buying a condo in the La Cruz area as a potential semi-retirement spot eventually.

Dennis, I forget most of the time I spent there with you. I think it was fun though!:hali_olutta::drunk:beerbang:LOL:720icon::cheers::eyepoppin:eyepoppin
  16. OCPoacher

I am sold! Laurie and I experianced PV on our honeymoon for the first time in October. Just booked a trip leaving next Friday for 6 days a few min ago. Now to call Many, anybody want to go fishing?
  17. gernsey

PV is alive and well,here are a few good points I have to share.I could write a couple books about the place and the people I have meet there,all of it good.Some of the biggest fish on the planet swim by every so often also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Tinknocker

Very cool of you to post a positive PV history Dennis and a request for all the great times had down there. PV has been the best big game fishing/partying/family oriented vacation spot we have ever been to.

We spent 2 full seasons in PV (2004 & 2005) and the fishing for COW YFT, huge Black & Blue Marlin was excellent not to mention the Wahoo, Dorado and inshore fishing.

The only negative I remember was when a foreign national stabbed me in the back on the radio with an uncalled for jealous double standard hose job. (Possibly drug/alcohol induced) A Tiger never loses its stripes even when desperate. But I will not mention any names.;)

All the local Mexicans have been great. Danny Osuna set me up with a bait connection and other info when I first got there and just met him. What a great family the Osuna’s are.
    Manny Ocaranza was another talented guy who helped us with crew when needed as well as on the water info. Tony O, Carlos O, Danny Gomez, Juan Pablo and many others round out a stellar group of charter guys.

Paradise Village was an awesome place to stay with Dick Markie in charge. Sometimes we would come in at 2 or 3 in the morning after 3 days of hard fishing and there were always security guys on the dock to help us tie up. The security was also exceptional.

I will not post pictures but our website http://tinknocker.net has a bunch of pics from those seasons as well as an article I wrote for “Big Game Fishing Journal” in 2006 that will really recap the positive experience and phenomenal fishing in Puerto Vallarta.

So that’s my positive input and I can’t wait to get back. Just not sure when.

Thanks again Dennis for the thoughtful post. :cheers:

Ps. I have no desire to go to Mazatlan, Acapulco or Cabo whatsoever.
  19. BajaMike

During our only visit to PV we spent two days fishing with the Top Gun crew, had a blast and caught a lot of fish. All of the restaurants we tried were outstanding, and the people we met were genuinely friendly and interactive.

Our last day was free so we decided to take a drive and headed north. We thoroughly enjoyed visiting that beautiful area and will probably stay somewhere around there when we plan oura next trip.
  20. rdrrm8e