Transom repair on my Valco

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by PaDDy Killer', Nov 13, 2009.

Share This Page

1. PaDDy Killer'

I am replacing my transom on my 14' Valco. The old original wood has been beat up over the years. I am going to get marine plywood but what do I use to seal the wood? Do I need to seal marine ply?
  2. doughnut

You should seal it. (it will last 35 years instead of 28 :)) plus it will look nice. You can use nice hardware and seal and finish it. My neighbor just did one, looks cool. There are several manufacturers of clear marine grade wood topside finishes.
  3. cksea

I would glass it. a layer or two of 6oz on each side would be nice. UV cure resin is great to gives you lots working time and cures right every time in 5 minutes.
  4. Customboatguy

If you buy marine grade plywood, you are wasting your money.

Spend your time on detail and propper laminating.

Buy regular G1S ply and coat with polyester resin. And get ready for a

lot of work man. If you need advice, your welcome to PM. Good luck.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  5. PaDDy Killer'

Thats the thing I don't want to do a bunch of work. I want to do this easy, I don't use this boat much, its half my brothers and he is lazy when it comes to working on boats. Can't I just cut the wood and use some resin or something similar to seal it?
  6. One_Leg

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, try spar varnish. Your bro sounds like a terrible boat ho.
  7. Gil Marlin

Yes, and a piece of CDX plywood should be good enough for that application. Marine plywood has smaller interior void sizes, but for your application you can just use some large s/s fender washers and bolt the new piece on...
  8. Knotsea1957

Make it out of 2 peices of outdoor 3/4 in plywood and glue them together and make it the same shape as the entire transom not like the original one i just did mine and its strong as hell and looks good varnished if you need pics i will send them
  9. PaDDy Killer'

Thats exactly what I want to do. The original piece of wood covered maybe 50% of the transom I want to cover the whole thing and then add some 90* brackets on the side with a aluminum plate to help support the heavy four stroke.
  10. slagburn

11. Customboatguy

Did I read that correctly?