Trailer connection blues.

Discussion in 'Boat Electronics' started by 5150dude, Feb 16, 2008.

Share This Page

1. 5150dude

As with every trailer I have had, I seem to have the worse luck getting a good connection at the plug. I brush the connections, bend them, and tryed WD-40.
    What's the best way or product to fight corosion? I was gonna go buy some dyelectric grease (sorry for the sp).
    Dave
  2. Free Spool

Use the grease and cover the ends when not in use.
  3. Innocent Bystaner

Dave, I've had the same problem too. Clean the male plugs with steel wool or 3M synthetic wool. Do the same with the female end and brush the Dielectric grease onto both ends. Make sure not to use anything but Dielectric grease. Don't over do it with the grease either. Like Pat said cover the plugs when not in use. I clean mine once a month when I do all the other stuff you gotta do to your trailer...Dave
  4. Double Z

BLUE CORROSIONX is great but I've gotten by for 3 years with just the red. I've only sprayed it 3 times or so in that time. I've also only had to replace one LED running light and it was one I did not spray early on. The stuff is amazing. Covering the end is a great tip that I might have to start doing just to keep dust out.

WD40 is a great way to strip grease, oil and start rust and corrosion.
  5. kerncat

I've had several trailer boats over the years and most of the trailer wiring difficulties seemed to stem from poor grounding...some trailers even just rely on the ball to ground the trailer but I've found that grounds, even with wires dedicated to the task can lose contact..dielectric is a great thing everywhere there is a contact point, connection, or joint..also, every place you connect wires with butt connectors or the ring or spade connectors, use the expensive marine connectors of the proper size with the heat melt resin in the connector..it will save you a huge amount of trouble in the long run...Auto supply connectors just don't cut it in the salt water environment, even with tape, liquid tape, etc..get the good marine connectors..keep the harness connector ends clean and covered and smear them with dielectric or even vasoline now and then when you hook up. I used to take the trailer "built in" lights off and build a light bar that hooks on the boat for towing and comes off for launching..never had much problem with that..also if the license plate and lights are on a removable bar that you can store off the trailer (like in the car or truck) anyone looking to steal the trailer is now faced with a trailer with no lights or license. just a thought.
  6. tara11

I have the same luck as you, so I found a Tow Truck supplies web site and bought a set of magnetic lights, all I do it plug in and put each light on the proper side of the rear of the trailer and good to go, you do have to take off before you put in the water and out back on before you drive home, but it is better than all the wiring hassle, I think they are great and well worth the 100.00$, they sell at west marine, but because my trailer is long, I needed the pair with the longer power cord :)
  7. Dirtguy

Dielectric grease and Weather Pack everywhere else.

DG