Tourist Card Requirements

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by MYNomad, Mar 10, 2011.

Share This Page

  1. MYNomad

    Can a boat that has properly entered Mexico (say it is normally kept at the Coral) fish San Martin or Cedros, or further south, without getting tourist cards for those on board -- assuming no one goes ashore? Does it matter if the boat leaves from San Diego (after checking out of Ensenada)? Does any one know the official rules, or where I could find out, officially?
  2. Gil Marlin

    As long as you stop in Ensenada and get all your documents and crew list verified through the Port Captain, you're are set. However, you still need I.D. and I always carry my passport. That way if they decide you all need tourist cards you can get one on the spot. If you go ashore you will need a tourist card. The Coral can take care of everything you need if you call them ahead of time...
  3. dorado50

    Good question! I have made runs from SD to Cabo and Cabo to SD for years and never had a tourist card. Even if I fly back to SD from Cabo never had a tourist card. I too should find out the particulars on this one..:doh:
  4. MYNomad

    We will have US passports and boat papers. Our schedule does not permit us to stop in Ensenada (we hope to leave from San Diego), so no one will have a tourist card. I have gone from San Diego to La Paz before officially "entering" Mexico (ie, La Paz was my first port of call), so no one had tourist cards then, but I am not sure that is 100% legal (even if no one is going ashore). It also seems as if the sporties fish Mexican waters (including San Martin and Cedros) without the necessity of tourist cards (which makes sense, since they aren't going ashore).

    Anyone know for sure?
  5. Gil Marlin

    A friend of mine got turned back by the navy recently while fishing Geronimo. He didn't stop in Ensenada and file a float plan or manifest. Some times it's no problem, but if there is one and you don't have every possible document, you could have problems. Again, the guy at the Coral can tell you what the current mood is with the Port Captain and military. The regulations are mostly clear, but the enforcement changes year to year. If I was going to Cedros, I would include an extra day in Ensenada to fuel up, get everything reviewed and stamped and then not worry about being hassled...
  6. Saluki

    Mexico’s National Aquaculture and Fishing Commission (CONAPESCA) welcomes you to practice and enjoy sportfishing in our inland and ocean waters.

    In an effort to make your sportfishing trip a pleasant one and help you in the simplest way to comply with current regulations we have a representative office available to you. We are located at 2550 Fifth Avenue Suite 15 San Diego, CA 92103. At this location you can obtain your sportfishing licenses in person or by mail.

    For your convenience “Conapescasandiego” has also made available this web site to provide you with all the necessary information, regulations, request forms and fees to help you obtain your required sportfishing personal licenses.

    Effective January 2008, boat permits are no longer required for vessels practicing sportfishing in Mexican waters.

    Our web page also provides you with valuable links to important sites such as CONAPESCA national headquarters, the Mexican Consulate, the Federal Tourism Ministry, several State Tourism Departments and Convention and Visitors centers and to sites that provide you with additional information regarding special events and sport fishing tournaments, tourist visas, customs regulations, travel reservations, lodging arrangements, among other useful information.

    Our San Diego Office can also provide with name and addresses of several businesses that cater to the sportfishing industry, such as bait and tackle stores and travel clubs, in different states that have complied with the required documentation and have been authorized to extend sport fishing licenses at a local level.

    If you should need more information please contact us at (619) 233-4324 or by fax at (619) 233-0344
  7. Saluki

    Good Luck Rick.

  8. TonyC

    i never use to get one when going to san quintin, but things seem to be getting now i make sure we stop to get one. your suppose to have one if you stay more than 72 hrs, or if you go pass ensenada, and sf.

    your on a boat...your problem will come from the navy....if you have one. better stop in ensenada and play it safe, and sure. Remember the guys fishing out of san quintin a few years back. the boat,capt, and fishermen were brought back to ensenada. the boat sunk in route while being towed. their problem was because of paper work, passport, and fishing lic...i think.
  9. TUNA 306

    From the Mexican Consulate

    Requirements to Visit Mexico

    U.S. and Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter Mexico as tourists, but they need to fill out a Tourist Form.
    They need to present a valid passport, or a birth certificate or certificate of naturalization and an I.D.
    The Tourist Form that can be obtained at any airline that flies into Mexico or port of entry into Mexican territory. Those entering Mexico through Tijuana can obtain the Tourist Form at the INAMI offices on the Mexican side of the the San Ysidro and Otay ports of entry.
    US and Canadian citizens traveling for business or other purposes, please call our visa department at (619) 308-9953, or email us at
    All permanent residents of the United States who are holders of a “Permanent Resident Card”, also known as “green card “, that want to travel to Mexico as tourists need to present their passport and “Green Card” and fill a Tourist form.
  10. TonyC

    tourist form is the visa. fill out the form, and pay. turn it back in when you leave mexico. tha's the part that's not very user friendly.
  11. MYNomad

    Thanks everyone for the advice. After reading the above and talking with the Mexican Consulate and indirectly with the Ensenada Port Captain, the consensus is that although there may not be a technical requirement for Tourist Cards if you are not going ashore, it is "better" to have them in case the Mexican Navy asks for them. So, we will plan accordingly.
  12. Saluki

    Thanks for for the follow up info Rick.
    Sounds like having it in advance is a good insurance plan.

    Kind of like having the phone # for a bail bondsman in your wallet "better to know me and not need me, than to need me and not know me". :D
  13. TonyC

  14. Gil Marlin

    Now that you know all this, you have no excuse not to go to Baja this summer... :D
  15. Saluki

    Dude........... you know I'm a scared shatless of the banditos and their pistolleros!.
  16. Gil Marlin

    I'll protect you... :D