Things I learned on my vacation

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range Fishing' started by wahoodad, Jan 6, 2009.

Share This Page

1. wahoodad

My wonderful bride Tree was gracious enough to post my reports, so I won't bore you all with that stuff by restating trip info. It's all there.
    Same on pics, it was way too tough of a bite for me to take time to take pics, so I'm seriously lacking on photos here. Sorry, but rail time was THE KEY.

On the travel down seminars, Kevin stressed a couple of times that a sliding 3 or 4 ounce egg sinker was the best way to get a bite. I can be a little hard headed, and I thought why won't they bite a 4 ounce torpedo sinker rubber banded on? Well, here to tell you, listen to the crew. The egg sinker was the ticket. At least on the drift it was.
    It didn't take long to find fish and porpoise, but there were no boils, no bites. After a few of these no fish stops, we finally hooked a few. Sure enough, egg sinker fishing. Both initial hookups were almost spooled, backups ready to throw in.
    So, here comes my second tip. Fill those reels up more. I see people whose reels are half full when the cast out! Now mine on the other hand, are crazy full. But I have never used a backup once. Most times I can stop a fish. I understand it takes more concentration on winding the line back and forth, but put some spectra on those rigs.

OK, we got a couple fish going, and hook a few more. We suffered losses from too tight of drags, setting the hook on basically slack line, improper loading of spectra. All these losses could have been avoided IMO.
    Uggh the tangles that we experienced from 23 people soaking baits on 3 and 4 ounce sinkers was hideous. So I started running to the bow and fishing the egg sinker to stay out of the nausea. It didn't work the first day, but sure did the second day. I finally got a bite, landed a taped 218. The amount of threshers we caught was amazing. They were quite the pests, and a real fake out, as they have like a tail beat like a tuna. Just don't fight very hard at all.
    This day John hooked a good one, and it was a real tough tuna. John did a fine job, the tuna came up and breached during the fight. I haven't seen that much. Only once before. Anyhow, John, who ended up being our Sportsman of the Trip winner, lost this one due to a hook straightening out. He didn't use this brand or model again this trip.
    Later this day, I saw some boils, and had hopes of getting a bite flylined.
    Well, it happened. I got a bite on the 130# FC, only about 25-30 feet from the boat. Fish didn't take much line, Cameron Casper was my crew member. I got around the bow, back to the starboard stern corner, and put the wood to it on my Accurate ATD30, and Super Seeker 6463-XXXH rod. 22 minute fish that taped 270. Darn thing weighed 289 at the dock!

That night, Kevin told me the 346 and 298 were caught on 80# line, so he said he would be fine with ME using 90# FC. So I did the next day. Now we were anchor fishing, which was my first time down here fishing on the anchor. Now, on the anchor, almost straight tuna, with the threshers coming on the egg sinkers. I hooked a good one on the new SS 2X4, and it took awhile, but taped 302. I got a 198 on 130# FC next, and a 150# on 200# FC just awhile later. All flylined sardines.
    Picking a bait was critical. Although it was tempting to pick those huge trout sized sardines, the best ones were the chubby baits about the size of a hot dog. That's my experience, your mileage may vary.
    Sometime we had a slight uphill trickle of a current, and I would hook a bait on and run to the bow. This worked well.

Other times, there was a strange diagonal current, and again running to the bow and lobbing off the side got your bait closer to the boils. Point is, be aware, and don't be afraid to try strange things.

New Year's day, fish boiling around, but we aren't hooking squat. Finally the kite goes, and Marilyn hands the fish off to her husband Bud. Bud fought this fish a long long time. Uphill tide, so I was fishing a bait on 90# FC again, and a big deep boil occurs near the surface, not far from the boat or where I think my bait is. I'm bit! I wind until I cannot physically wind anymore, and it's game on. Seemed normal at first, no big deal, then the afterburner kicked in. I told Kevin I have a hundred yards left, better get the backup. 50 yards, hook it on. I see silver, here we go, push the lever to full, and drop it in. Ok, fish still not slowing down, get the second backup on, but I finally stop it with as big a bend in the rod I can muster. I'm gaining line back, and I see my rod. I get it on the boat, and wind like heck, I'm gaining on him. I actually get the fish within 150 feet, making huge circles around the boat, but I can't make a stand.
    Then it takes off again. All my line gone, backup, second backup, and it is so far out there I think the Red Rooster 3 is going to run over my line. We are yelling, waving our arms, calling on the phone, finally Andy turns off. Whew!
    Now at this point, I know I'm screwed. I have now been on the fish over 3 hours, we only have one more backup, after that, we would have to pull the anchor.
    Thing is, we have the school and life around us. If we leave, we lose all that. At this point, I am bumming hard. The tail beat with two backups out there is the hugest tail beat I've ever seen.
    I had to make a stand, push the drag up on the backup, and stop the ba$tard. Well, the amount of chewing he had done on the line was simply too much. And I lost it. :?

I was quiet, didn't say anything to anybody, just reeled in, put the rod away, grabbed another rod, pinned on a bait, and lobbed a sardine out. I was bit in just a matter of minutes.
    Now this poor fish was screwed. He was getting the wrath of a frustrated fisherman, as I put the wood to this one. I was shocked it was that big, as it came in within 30 minutes. Fished weighed 316 pounds at the dock! Redemption.

Ok enough fish stories, how is this boat, really? There has been questions of the crew, how good are they? These guys are good, they make sure we don't lose many. Our Izorline rep Shauna Barton told me several times how much she thought the crew was excellent. They are. No doubt. I had one bout with the bulbous bow, but that was on the 289 and I dealt with it fine. The stern corners are bitchin because of the added 5 feet. The props and rudders are way back under. No worries there.

And then Javier. He is amazing, how he turns out such fine meals day after day. No repeats.

The Intrepid is a fine fishing vessel, with great ammenities, awesome crew and food. Give her a whirl.
  2. scuba e

Thanks for the solid info and a big congrats!
  3. Mo Betta

As soon as this economy turns the corner, Im going! Thanks again David.
  4. Team Buddhahead

5. hookup66

Great report. Makes we want to get back into this Long Range thing again.

Redondo rules!

Jeff
  6. swordswizzle

Congrats David,
    Great reports, thanks to you and your wife for making it happen. It was like coming home everynight and watching the 6 o'clock news. Even better, all the news was the good kind. Cheers
  7. Jaydog

You know what's so awesome David? Well so many of us look up to and respect you for your long range wisdom and your still out there just as open minded and eager to learn as you probably were the day you first started fishing, that's awesome! We're like surf stoked groms forever and I love it. Thanks.
  8. barracuda Killer

seand me some mojo bro
  9. wifitunaguy

Great information... Thanks for the reports!!!
  10. Saluki

What he said!

Thanks David.
  11. spike

Epic vacation Sir
  12. el capo

Talk about putting the wood to them.Great read!
  13. BiggestT

Great read David.

Question: why would it make much difference between a rubber banded torpedo and an egg sinker? I would think the bait is not strong enough to pull line from either, or is it the feel on the pick or just how it sinks?

Question: On the one that got away, did you push the drag to sunset early in the fight to stop it or is that a no no?

Question: What size were the threshers you were dissing on?LOL
  14. wahoodad

You have me Steve, but I'm telling you several of us hard headed individuals tried to prove that it didn't matter, but we got zero bites until we succumbed to the egg sinkers.

That would have been suicide. Definitely a nono.

90 to 150 for most, a few over 200. So, here I was, on a trip where tuna and threshers were caught at the very same time. The threshers don't fight a quarter as hard as the tuna. Even the OGs were having a tough time keeping a bend in the rod, the threshers come up so easy.
  15. Old_Truline_Guy

Thanks for the report. What a great vacation. I hate using sinkers for anything, that said it sounds like you need to be ready for the possiblilty. I have absolutly no grief with dropping down in line size. Just can't watch it around the boat forever, especially if you already have a couple on board...

What a spectacular performance, Congrats! Jeff
  16. Steve K

So David, was it 3-4 oz slider, nose hooked bait? Nothing to keep the slider from going all the way down to the hook?
  17. BiggestT

So full drag is a no no, even with the heavy line. Is that due to risk of pulled hooks? Breaking line due to water pressure?

I assume that these threshers were mouth hooked on pretty heavy gear by anglers experienced in using the gear, so it's not a surprise to me. Explains why it can be done on ultra light tackle with some good boat handling.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  18. BakerStBobby2

WTG DAVID!!! GLAD TO HEAR YOU HAD A GREAT TIME.
  19. wahoodad

Well, 90# line and a 300+ pound tuna, sunset is only at the end. In reality, even with 130# line.Hooks are pulled, lines are broke.

And yes, every thresher was mouth hooked. What's up with that?
  20. MikeyLikesIt

Wow. thanks for all the info David! :appl: I gots to try dis.......