The Yak Scores

Discussion in 'Winged Hunting Reports' started by ilovecalicos, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ilovecalicos

Took out good friend & fellow Bloody decks member Robert Yak turkey hunting this morning. Despite cold, foggy, windy, & wet conditions, we got one to play.

At daybreak, which was late because of the weather. Brought no gobbles or for that matter, no wildlife movement. At about 6:30, the fog started to lift a little....Crows, mallards, & deer appeared.... It was time to get on the loudest box call I have....H.S. Strut Champion (cheapy, but great volume). Nothing, the 1st couple of attempts, but on the 3rd, I hear a faint gobble (even a faint gobble in that wind had to be fairly close). I hit it again and it's a little stronger. At about this time, Robert spots a hen cheeking it across the meadow below us. I hit the box again and this time the gobble is even stronger. Just then, a hen appears just to my right (behind a big bush). She promply moves down the trail which is just to my right.......No more box call.......After she clears my peripheral vision, I go to the diapharm call......Booming gobble.....And just like that, the big gobbler is strutting just on the other side of the fence. Couple more clucks and he's under the fence and sprinting towards the DSD jake decoy......The decoy is at 20 yds, but at about 25. It looks like he says to himself......That's a fake and oh shit!......Too late big boy. Robert drops him.......Gorgeous 3 year old gobbler, 21 lbs, 10" broom, 1 1/8" spurs.............:cheers:

This turkey is so much fun, I think I'll do it again tomorrow...........

ps..........Added some crappie from "The Shaw"....Tom, Tartar, & tators for dinner.........;)
    • The Yak Scores-robert yak turkey hunt 4-12-12 003.JPG
    • The Yak Scores-robert yak turkey hunt 4-12-12 007.JPG
    • The Yak Scores-robert yak turkey hunt 4-12-12 013.JPG
  2. srfnkill

Can't beat that day!!!! Congrats.
  3. Huntndogs

Nice day out Steve and Congrats Robert!
  4. Carl

5. Vermonster

Very nice!!!!!! :cheers:
  6. BrotherP

This probably sounds like a dumb question but ill ask anyways. Does wild turkey taste any different than store bought?
  7. Sluester

NICE!!!

IMO it tastes totally different to me. Not bad just different.
  8. roberyak

That was a really fun day in the field. It was quite a rush to watch that bird run up at that decoy he was hot.

Wild Turkey is on the menu for tonight, it taste really good but different then the store bought.

Slabs are for Sunday night dinner.

Thanks again Steve.
  9. SERGIO

Great job on helping a fellow BDr.
  10. ilovecalicos

I like wild turkey cooked just about anyway (to me, domesticated turkey is just OK, unless you add something to it)..............Wild turkey has flavor......Slow smoked is my favorite....................:hali_olutta:
  11. Cheep

Very nice bounty!!!
  12. Vermonster

If I ever get one, this is the way I want to try it......

[​IMG]
  13. ilovecalicos

Sean,

That looks great..............But, a little too fancy for an old retired guy.................LOL
  14. Vermonster

Find me a turkey, and I'll make one for ya....... LOL