The " Shark " in Panama

Discussion in 'Panama & Central America Fishing Reports' started by PSFL, Oct 21, 2009.

Share This Page

1. PSFL Advertiser

I was glad to host for Kil and Famous TV show star in Korea Mr. Shindongman aka. The Tiger Shark , learned quite a bit with some new techniques and tackle , specially Kil Song with his witty approach in fishing, had a great time , great action on the water

This is a short report that Kil did ,

I am in Panama City now after fishing peacock bass in Panama Canal.
    We didn't land any big peacock bass though there were tons of little bass there.
    We opted to go peacock bass today intead fo marlin/tuna and we glad we did.
    I never thought there are pristine waters in the Canal. I can not show pictures now as I can not upload pictures for some reason. We even saw monkeys jumping onto our boat to eat bread.

Panama trip was not planned originally. After we fished two days Bluefin in Cape Cod, I called John Delacruz of Panama Sportfishing Logde driving down from Cape Cod to NJ as long rane weather forecast was bad from Cape Cod to NC and I needed to guide Korean TV fishing crew somewhere.

It turned out to be excellent decision as Korean fishing crew were more than satisfied by filming lots of episodes in Panama.

Who said there are no Marlin in Hannibal Bank in Oct ? There were lots of baits in Hannibal Bank , when we got there on Sat. It took only 15 minutes to fill all Tuna tube with Skipjack. The first hit came only within 30 minutes after we started to troll. Korean TV host, Shin fought the fish and the whole fight was filmed. It took about 20 mintues to get the leader and tooks lots of picutres before we released the 350 lbs black marlin.
    He had a few hits, but we missed them. A 600 - 700 lbs Black Marlin was jumping to chase baits only 30 yards away from the boat, but we couldn't hook up the fish. We had heavy rain for 30 minutes and we kept jigging for snapper and AJ on hight spots on Hannibal Bank. It was nonstop action as all were filmed.

Next day (Sun), we opted inshore popping as we planned to go to Paname City in late afternoon. For three hour fishing, Shin fought a few nice Jack on poppers. He had a jack on a popper, but it was attacked a huge cubera snapper while reeling. The fight didn't last long as he used 50 lbs leader line. I had a big hit on my Dorado Slider, but I missed it. When I checked my lure, I saw one huge scale like tarpon's. Capt Macho said it was big Cubera's scale.

Later on we caught a nice 30 - 35 lbs roosterfish on a trolled live bait. ( while we were popping, they put a live bait on troll). Korean fishing crew was so fascinated with the shape and color of Roosterfish as they've never seen Roosterfish before.

We are heading back to NJ tomorrow. If my time allows, I'd like to guide them one more trip. I haven't decided where to go as I have to check my work schedule and weather. I probably go donw to NC for world class AJ jigging or go up to Cape Cod for one more bluefin jigging/popping.

When I can upload pictures, I'll post them. There are lots of good pictures.

I really thank John of Panama Sportfishing Lodge who accomodate us for filming and guiding us for the whole trip, as well as Capt Macho/Sergio who tried hard as usual to find fish for us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. PSFL Advertiser

3. PSFL Advertiser

[​IMG]
    Holding out until the weather clears up a bit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. PSFL Advertiser

Pics. taken in Panama Canal /Gatun Lake
    caught lots of peanut peacock Bass , nice Snook / freshwater

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kil has a way of making friends
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. masonbo

Thankyou for report John! Will forward it to crew coming down in January and March.
    That monkey photo is my favorite.It resemble's Peter from Cape May Tackle or as we call him "Pargo Chino".
    I am fortunate to be able to take Kil and crew A.J. fishing tommorrow. Will let you know how it goes.
    David
  6. brantc Admin

what a trip...thanks for the pics.
  7. masonbo

John,Do you know what that jig is in the second set of photo's with that snapper is?
    Also, very nice snook!!
  8. PSFL Advertiser

David,
    that jig was a special design by Shindongman , he gave me one , i think I will order bunch of them , it is a jig but it is also a swim bait , Kil should have it on the shelve soon, the Koreans where very amazed how we caught Marlin so easily , so i showed him the pics. this year , he gave me this face:shake::shake::shake::eek2::eek2::drool::drool: , his coming back with a whole platoon