Taking care of the catch

Discussion in 'Washington State' started by rk52, Jul 9, 2013.

1. rk52

I found this to be a very interesting read on the importance of dispatching, bleeding and cooling Albacore. Some good technique's explained as well.

Enjoy

Seafood Network Information Center
  2. Team Sency

Thanks Randy! I am newer to the Tuna game and this helps.
  3. Hannibal

Good Info. I know when we have run out of room in the cooler and fish boxes and left the fish on the deck for the ride back the quality of the fish detoriate very quickly. The ones that get warmn are extremely mushy and foul smelling.
  4. rk52

We talked about pulling off the heads and gutting them after the fish are bled. Don't know if you would have to worry about ruining any meat as long as rock salt wasn't used. That way you are not cooling down the heads, gills and guts. You would also be able ice more of them down. Any thoughts??
  5. Marlin Mike

doing that makes cleaning a lil harder down the line but pick your poisen
  6. Elkfins

Once they hit the deck, they get a knife in the gills to bleed. After they bleed out, we cut out the gills and pull the guts then into a saltwater/ice slush they go until they get pulled out to cark.
  7. Genie Aye

Why keep them if not iced? A waste unless you are making fertilizer.
  8. SoCal Redneck

We normally cut em to bleed and place in the saltwater/ice slurry until they are cooled then pack in ice. When we run out of room we start taking off heads and guts and packing in ice. It's a little trickier handling them to cark as MM said, but very doable. The pics aren't as pretty, but if stuffing the boat is your goal, it def lets you properly store more fish. I just wouldn't do it on a bait stop....will have a shark convention.
  9. wdlfbio

Piss poor ethics to kill them and leave them anywhere not iced. We bonk, knife the blood line (bleeds out closer to the meat), toss in the bleed bucket. After bled, we gut (which makes it easy to get two belly pieces for bait later), into the salted slush. Everywhere I keep fish is salted slush. My goal is the best cared for filets I can get back at the dock.

Taking the head and opening the gut cavity does not open any meat to water. Cutting the head rear of the pectoral fin will though. But, it is easier to strip the skin when holding the head.
  10. MKCJ

I have never fished tuna, but that was interesting to read and would help all fish you catch.
  11. Floatflyer

rk52: Very good post. While I have yet to catch any WA albacore I have used this method of caring for tuna for many years of yellowfin fishing in Baja. The one difference I see is the Spiking the Brain. I was taught to perform a "spinal tap" which consisted of running a stiff piece of heavy mono or weedeater line down the spinal cord, resulting is probably the same condition. The difference in color between tuna that has had this type of care vs no bleeding/spinal tap is impressive. Just Do It!
  12. rk52

We stopped fishing on a trip last year due to poor ice management. That is what brought up the discussion about pulling the heads of before slush and ice. I hear you on the bait stop. Three guys fishing and the fourth gaffing, bonking, bleeding, beheading and slushing is what we came up with.
  13. Team Sency

Dead on Paul...if you are not going to care for anything you harvest like the finest eating establishment, then don't kill it.