SD Sportfish "SWEET TERESA" report 4/27/11 Andrew-1st fish might be lifetime PB!!!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by SDSportfish, Apr 28, 2011.

1. SDSportfish

Even if it was for just one day, it felt like summer today. We headed out after a cool sunrise, coffee, doughnuts and some Pink Floyd. It was glassy early, perfect, but bigger dines 6"-8" and an easy run to the grounds. Water was on the dirty side of green and 62.5.

I had Andrew and his Dad, Matt, out for their 1st salt water trip on the west coast.Before today the biggest fish they have pulled on were smallmouths in Minnesota. We had baits in the water at 0830 and it started a bit on the slow side. Not a single twitch for 1/2 hour and then Andrews rod gets lit up!!!I had to help him get it out of the rod holder but once he was set up at the rail, it was on! We cleared a couple rods out of the way and I was coaching him on his technique a little, but the kid is a natural. Luckily it was a pretty straight forward fish, no runs to the props, other side of the boat or an air jordan. Just straight up and down. Matt helped him a little when he got to a point he couldnt turn the reel, but it was pretty much all Andrew. I went for the gaff shot and hit the one square inch of bone in the whole fish. That halfmoon shaped strip of bone is like case hardened steel, I lifted the butt up nearly even with our shoulders and it kick flips out of the gaff and back into the water. Heart stopper......back around and I get a shot at redemption, meat gaff and the fish is in the boat.

I tried to explain to them how cool it was to catch such a nice halibut, how long some people have tried to get a fish this size, I think he got it after the whole thing sunk in. The rest of the morning was steady with a couple more nice grade fish coming over the rail and plenty of shorts. I was working solo today, so I was hopping.

We caught a cool butterfly ray and a nudibranch, cool colors. The midday slack tide shut off the bite for a couple hours, but then it got really good.3 hours of action and the number of fish we caught was unbelievable. We fished until sunset and then called it a day.

Our total for the 12 hour day was 34 shorts
    6 keepers
    9 bass (released)
    Thanks to Matt and Andrew for an awesome day and congrats to Andrew for his 1st ever halibut being a tough fish to top.

we are running daily halibut trips
    contact Capt Rod to book
    • SD Sportfish "SWEET TERESA" report 4/27/11  Andrew-1st fish might be lifetime PB!!!-019.JPG
    • SD Sportfish "SWEET TERESA" report 4/27/11  Andrew-1st fish might be lifetime PB!!!-022.JPG
    • SD Sportfish "SWEET TERESA" report 4/27/11  Andrew-1st fish might be lifetime PB!!!-027.JPG
    • SD Sportfish "SWEET TERESA" report 4/27/11  Andrew-1st fish might be lifetime PB!!!-034.JPG
    • SD Sportfish "SWEET TERESA" report 4/27/11  Andrew-1st fish might be lifetime PB!!!-035.JPG
    • SD Sportfish "SWEET TERESA" report 4/27/11  Andrew-1st fish might be lifetime PB!!!-038.JPG
    • SD Sportfish "SWEET TERESA" report 4/27/11  Andrew-1st fish might be lifetime PB!!!-041.JPG
    • SD Sportfish "SWEET TERESA" report 4/27/11  Andrew-1st fish might be lifetime PB!!!-045.JPG
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  2. SDSportfish

didnt add my pics for some reason......pics coming soon
  3. harryo

Hey Rod, you certainly putting the time in & it pays off. Nice fish. Miss your pics.

Seaya!
    harryo
  4. bdmudd

a machine.
  5. brantc Admin

Holy Chit Rod.

That's some steady action....nice job.

Get some sleep
  6. IglooMan

I knew carrying a fresh banana on every trip would end up paying off! Just something about it...

Great job on getting yet another personal best for the customers and another youngster hooked on fishing.
  7. mwhunt

Thanks to Capt. Rod for a great day fishing. We caught 40 halibut yesterday and had steady action all day. All in all, we had some 50 plus fish and my kid was high fiving me all the way home.

All capped up off by a trip past downtown and Petco during a ball game at night on the bay.

Perfect day.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  8. TheFerret

Congrats on the nice day. It's a great feeling getting the next generation involved and I'm sure he'll never forget that flattie. I still haven't had a keeper myself. I'm sure my good karma from all the shorts I've sent back down will kick in one of these days.

Also, love the banana. Classic.
  9. sushiholic

i think I need to STALK you. Very impressive, I don't think we halibut fish the same Pacific....
  10. Fishbones

Damn Rod. I fished that same area yesterday and Friday and did not do as good as you. Your boat must be a Halibut magnet. Good job!
  11. Tues

Are you using flashers?

Not asking for all your sercets just curious. I think I seen one in a previous post...I see the ladies up in the PNW use them, and I wanted to try them locally, myself.

Best!
  12. sushiholic

they say its all the the "wrist" :gayfight:
  13. SDSportfish

just been getting lucky lately......
  14. SDSportfish

yea, flashers and I have been having good luck with the archer spider dredge. I havent noticed a difference in color/strike ratio. I dont get to bounceball as much as I like, probably been a month now, it's not really charter friendly. I also switched over to the big 8" berkeley power bait grubs instead of sardines, either white or chartruese. I dont know if I get bit more but you dont have to worry about the bait coming off. Use good quality hooks too!

hope this helps
    Good Luck!!
  15. SDSportfish

yea, flashers and I have been having good luck with the archer spider dredge. I havent noticed a difference in color/strike ratio. I dont get to bounceball as much as I like, probably been a month now, it's not really charter friendly. I also switched over to the big 8" berkeley power bait grubs instead of sardines, either white or chartruese. I dont know if I get bit more but you dont have to worry about the bait coming off. Use good quality hooks too!

hope this helps
    Good Luck!!
  16. fishpelagic

Looks like a great day on the water. Very nice butts!
  17. sushiholic

how do you add your flashers to a conventional live bait set up ? Just curious.. back east we have used fluke rigs with spinner blades. and squid strips.....I have tried them here, but they don't seem to work on halibut.