Scouting albacore from a plane...what to look for?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by karlk1125, May 30, 2012.

Share This Page

1. karlk1125

My uncle has a Cessna and was thinking of either scouting before running for albacore or having his pilot scout in the air while we fish for an hour or so. My question is, from the air what would you look for? Scum lines, color breaks, actual schools of fish, ect? We'll do this in norcal so it'll primarily be Albacore and possibly bluefin.
  2. kiss my bass

I'd look for Albacore?
  3. yrd

breaking fish, schools up close to the surface along temp breaks, boats (if any)...might be helpful to have a spotter along with an large set of eyes...low flying albacore caught in the landing gear:-)rofl::rofl::rofl:)
  4. screamingreel

You would actually see the fish if they are up! I also live in Norcal. Plane spotting is more difficult up here because the water is less clear (in general) than down south.

That being said, if you see them, you see them...

- Jeff
  5. PoolMan

I ran the website Spotterplane.com many years ago. When the albacore were around they were harder to spot. They didn't seem to come up and foam the way yellowfin did. For the yellowfin we could see a spot from miles if they were up, especially if oriented with porpoise. The yellowfin were always busting along the leading edge of the porpoise right under the birds. We could read the currents and temp breaks like a road map from the air, and could pinpoint how they related to the underwater topography. You could also eliminate alot of water that was "dead".
  6. dkd711

Fly low and throw some trollers out... LOL

But seriously, goodluck!
  7. okie man

look for groups of boats working in same general area. if there's any around, someones gonna be fishing them.jig boats,net boats ,other spotter planes.
  8. Tues

Albacore farts...