Sanding Block...?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Scold, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Scold

I have a Calstar 90J that has a very long crosswrap on it, and I have applied roughly 5 coats of finish to try and get a nice, level coat but to no avail. It is wavy and nonuniform all the way around. Since I have so many coats of finish would it be possible to run a sanding block over it to level it out, then apply another coat of finish? If it is possible, what would you sand it with? Thanks!
  2. Pucky

definitely use a block or something flat behind the paper. i usually start with 220 and knock down all the high spots. then go to 320 and then 400 (wet). don't run your power wrapper too fast or let the finish heat up too much or else the finish will crumble off instead of sanding off.

if for any reason you notice white spots that's won't come out even with water, those are micro air bubbles that are now full of dust. you just need to sand down past them or else they will still be visible when you put your finish on top.

tape off where your finish ends so you don't scuff your blank and you're good to go!
  3. Raymond Adams

Ditto!
  4. bass_blaster

I had the same question and now it's answered before I even had to ask it. Saaaweeet.
  5. DenisB

If you have a deep 'bubble" that you think is risky to sand out just clean the dust out of it & put a dob of epoxy in it ...........wiping it around the insides of the hole with a needle or toothpick & leave vertical up to set.............sand flat with the rest of the surface & put the next coat on.

if you run into sneaky bubbles when you go to put a second coat on, ( you know, the ones you were sure were not there when the 1st epoxy coat started to set ) .I just bust the bubble with a needle or 'thread pick' work the epoxy for the next coat into that bubble hole first & then 'wet on wet' put the next coat on.
    Spending a little time to work the epoxy into the hole with a needle/toothpick & getting all the air out is the trick before you put the rest of the coat on.
  6. MKUHN138

If I sand I'll usually take it outside and do it by hand in lengthwise motions against the wrap. If you use a wrapper/dryer combo, doing it on your lathe will make a huge mess, and the dust can get into your finish. I've done it both ways, and on the lathe is definitely the fastest with very good results, but I'm anal about keeping my drying area clean.
  7. seanfish

If I have to sand it flat, I do it outside too although I really don't care about how clean my area is as long as the dust is all settled into place