Rockfish Descent Device

Discussion in 'Washington State' started by Clockwork, Dec 6, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Clockwork

its time we figure this out. we're gonna need to come up with a good way to get rockfish back down so we can get some of our seasons back and i think the milk crate system sucks. the crate is bulky and the fish can fall out. i think i may have a method here that would be quick, easy and effective. i would use heavier cord rather than mono and braid in the final product but you can see the concept. basically its a heavy line to a 3-way swivel. on one end is a downrigger clip, on the other is a ~3ft cord attached to a large cannonball. Attached to the cannonball is another heavy, but shorter line with a loop on the tag end. you take a crotchet needle and thread the line through the jaw of the rockfish and clip it into the downrigger clip. then lower them down however many feet (60 they say), give it a jerk and the line pops out of the clip and slips out of the fish's jaw. and yes, thats a sockeye pillow for effect. i plan to mount a reel onto my boats downrigger mount and have this rig ready to go, clip it on and lower 'em down and reel it back up. might work.
    • Rockfish Descent Device-DSCF1715.jpg
    • Rockfish Descent Device-DSCF1714.jpg
  2. 10Super

Looks like it may work, I would be worried about the fish sliding up and getting caught on the release? Maybe attatch the release to the weight. Could also use something like a Boga grip? Would have to figure out how to make it cable operated.
  3. Elkfins

4. 10Super

Just had an idea - scissor like clamp that latches shut but opens with a jerk. One side tied to main line other side tied to weight. Clamp fish jaw and lower down, quick pop releases clamp.
  5. Ugly Bayliner

A sinker release would also work.
  6. Fungunnin

The simple easy method I use is a length of tuna cord with a 11/0 barbless hook snelled on upside down. Leave the tag end about 1 to 2 feet long and attach a cork screw snap. Clip how ever much weight you need ... usually 1 to 3 pounds ... to the snap. Simply hook the lower jaw of the rock fish with the inverted barbless hook and send down. When deep enough just reel back up. The fish is automatically release.

Simple, easy, cheap and small.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WaveDancer

If you don't have 3-5 pounds of lead standing by, you will never get a large rockfish back down.

I have had to use 5 pounds before to get large boccicia back down successfully.

WD.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tower Todd

WD is right, you will need more weight for the bigger rockfish.

TT
  9. Fungunnin

Yes your weight needs will depend on the size of fish....
    Fishing out of the kayak I have never had to deal with Boccaccio. 3 pounds has been plenty for me. I only carry one pounders and 1.5 pounds. Use more than one ball if needed.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jet2go

I got the http://www.git-r-down.net/6.html for a present last Christmas and when we are bottom fishing we keep it attached to the downrigger. Just clamp the fish in, let the scotty take it down till the ball hits bottom and the downrigger pulls it back up. Works flawlessly, super easy and since we started this we never have dead fish following around our boat drift. Very cool present!
  11. Happy Daze

Lingcod Todd turned me on to the Sea Qualizer and it works great. www.seaqualizer.com. I just ordered another one from charkbait for a xmas gift.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Hunter Dan

On this issue I don't think there can be too many good ideas. Love it! Keep those thinking caps on, PLEASE!
  13. Elkfins

this would be a great thread to make sticky... hint, hint mods.
  14. Blackfish

Here is my redneck simple vertion.

Toss floaters in bait tank. Once I have two or three, take paper grocery sack, slice a cross cut opening in one or both sides of the bag, toss in a few river rocks for weight, toss the floaters in the bag, fold the bag closed, secure it with three large aper clips, and sink it.

Bag sinks down, fish equalizes, and ether the finds its way out via the cross cut opening, or the bags deteriorates in a few hours and the falls apart....fish swims away.

I also have a few old bricks on the boat for the bigger fish.
    • Rockfish Descent Device-IMG_0113.jpg
  15. salmonhawk

I use a product similar to the git-r-down and it works great. I use it up here on rockfish and down in Fl on grouper and snapper. Videos show that most fish will squirm off the release on the way down. Once these fish are sent down they recompress on their own.

Of course this state panders to the wackos and won't take a position, they would rather just shut down fishing.
  16. Hunter Dan

Thats what we used to with garter snakes when I was a kid! Fill a paper sack with 30 or 40 snakes and a rock or two, tie off the the top with cotton string and drop it off the bridge over the slough. After about 5 minutes all the snakes would come boiling to the surface and wriggle like mad to make it to the nearest bank! Great fun, thanks for the flashback!:rofl:
  17. Cornfed

Good call. DONE.
  18. Clockwork

really good idea but dont you need to get them down right away? seems like too long if you're waiting for 2 or 3.

i was also thinking about water soluble line.
  19. Hunter Dan

Check out Neptune Marine Products galvanic timed releases. Shortest period is one day, currently, but might get your brain ticking on the water soluble line thing!
  20. blackelk

If you are fishing 700 deep and catch a protected fish and it is to big for a 3-4lb cod weight to get it back down and you use a downrigger to put it down 300 feet is that enough? i thought the idea was to put it back down were you got it. I bought the sheldon descender but was planning on sending it back to the bottom while i was after a halibut. I do know heather reed said she is excited to see people using these and trying to help protect yellow eye and canary rockfish without being required. she said they are studying this and it might be required in a few years. I liked goatrams idea of using an electric downrigger and milkcrate. maybe I will give both a try this year and see what works the best for me.