removing shark jaws??????

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by helmet fhsfman, Sep 25, 2008.

1. helmet fhsfman

can someone tell me how to remove a mako jaw...caught one at tanner yesterday and want to remove the jaw....help!!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  2. Bogii

3. TROB

that would help for cleaning them, but to get them out i would use a saw or something, the cartilidge (sp?) is pretty tough on a knife, but i've done it with a forschner before. they come out pretty easy.

sorry, thats a shitty response but i don't have a lot of experience with sharks, i figured since no one else chimed in yet, i would give my input. Im sure you'll get better advice in the morning.
  4. spearboy321

exacto knife
  5. Smudge

Mako jaws are a pain in the ass. I used to charge $5 to cut out a set of blue shark jaws but $15 for the same size mako.

It's hard to explain how exactly to do it. Practice helps but obviously that's not an option for you. You basically have to outline the jaws with your knife. A very sharp knife is a must but be aware that it isn't going to stay that way very long. It's not so much the cartlidge that is the problem, it's the skin. You shouldn't really be cutting through much cartlige anyway. You want to be cutting around it and removing all of the flesh.

Best advice is to take your time and go slow. If you rush, you can actually cut right through the jaws and ruin your trophy.

Never used an xacto knife but I can see how it would be handy with the intricate parts. A mako's jaw is a complicated machine. Lots of little knobs of cartlidge where all of the muscles attach. If you do use am xacto knife be very very careful not to cut through the jaw itself.

Funny, of the literally dozens upon dozens of shark jaws I cut out while working shark trips on the Daily Double years ago, I never got a set for myself. hope they turn out good for you. I know the ant hill bit was mentioned but you may want to look into getting some dermestid beetles instead. Less risk of a skunk or racoon walking off with your jaws. I think they do a much better job anyway. Preserving after the cleaning? Not really sure. I've heard of people drying them in the sun, bleaching then drying, bleaching drying then laquer. Not sure what works best.

Maybe someone with more experience on that end will chime in.
  6. ChupacabraMB

I have two frozen heads that I have been meaning to cut the teeth out of. I'll try to do them this weekend and see what works.
  7. Supa711

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cnick%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Trim ALL the meat from the cartilage. On the back side of the jaws is a cartilage membrane that covers the seven rows of backup teeth. You can feel this with your finger. Cut along ridge with blade and slowly remove membrane from backside revealing the additional rows of teeth. Once you&#8217;ve done this soak them in 50/50 water and Clorox for 1/2 hour. The jaws cartilage will be soft and pliable. Tie a string to the center top joint in the middle of the jaw. Hang it up. Use a wooden dowel cut to size and place in the back of the jaw setting the dowel at the 2 outer joints. This keeps the jaws from folding together. Let dry several days and you&#8217;re all set. I've done this in the past and it's worked for me. I opted to boil my first set and all the teeth fell to the bottom and I used a small drill and made a necklace from all of them. It didn't occur to me this would be like a shark biting my head when if/when I wanted to wear it. <o:p></o:p>
  8. coldies

9. BluefinCurly

follow the clorox method above. It softens the remaining tissue and makes it easy to scrape off. Then fix it to a board (as above) and let it dry. I would let it dry for several weeks however to cure up.
  10. ConSeaMate

Nice work Smudge.....
  11. Blackfish

that was fast..... :rolleyes:. That was more then an edit, that was a Cover UP!
  12. T BICKLE

was it something i said? haha
  13. Az.monkey

I'd actually use more of a 60 / 40 solution of water / clorox and gentle scrape of the remaining flesh after rinsing, rinse again and and coat with sea salt, gently spread and secure the jaws open on a board and sun dry for a few weeks. rinse off the salt and let dry again for a day in the sun. coat with a clear fixative ( Michaels) and mount the bitch ! Be carefull with the teeth, those fuggers are sharp as all get out. another tip, if you delicately use an exacto to cut what I call the gum line in the beginning of the process the extra teeth will make a slight rotation outward to add a very toothy effect
  14. Saluki

Just when I thought I'd seen it all. :shake:
  15. WFO

I like this one. Let mother nature take care of it.
  16. Smudge

Thank you all. I'll be here all week. :D
  17. DenisB

Agree with the 50/50 or 60/60 water & chlorox
    Disagree with the salting
    When dried if the sealant is not perfect the salt picks up moisture in high humidity & swells & 'bleeds' under the sealant.

Every new deckhand wants a set of Jaws
    Just about every new deckand ends up with scars from the exercise.
    On my boats I banned the butchering of jaws on the boat as the medical kit was always running empty as a result of "shark jaw" injuries.
    Head off & take it home & do it there has been the boat rule for 30+ yrs.
    DenisB
  18. tuna head

someone mentioned ants, clean em the best you can then hang em up and let the ants finish em off. did several blue sharks but my german shepard ate em