Relentless Sportfishing putting new Shimano Tranx to the test

Discussion in 'Louisiana Fishing' started by luna sea II, Apr 24, 2012.

1. luna sea II

I did some freelance dechand work for Mr. Jimmy Peek on his 26 regulator the past couple days and Capt. Mike rode along thursday to try out his new Tranx baitcaster on some tuna fish. we caught what may be the biggest tunas ever caught on these reels since their release with one close to 100lbs and another around 70.

for those unfamiliar with the Tranx they are basically inshore baitcasters on steroids. this one had 287yds of 55lb boat braid and a 25ft 60lb flouro topshot and could have held more if it was loaded tighter.

all fish were caught on live pogies.

Capt. Scott King​
    • Relentless Sportfishing putting new Shimano Tranx to the test-DSCN0397rr.jpg
    • Relentless Sportfishing putting new Shimano Tranx to the test-DSCN0396rr.jpg
    • Relentless Sportfishing putting new Shimano Tranx to the test-DSCN0399rr.jpg
    • Relentless Sportfishing putting new Shimano Tranx to the test-DSCN0404rr.jpg
    • Relentless Sportfishing putting new Shimano Tranx to the test-DSCN0409rr.jpg
    • Relentless Sportfishing putting new Shimano Tranx to the test-DSCN0412rr.jpg
    • Relentless Sportfishing putting new Shimano Tranx to the test-DSCN0414rr.jpg
    • Relentless Sportfishing putting new Shimano Tranx to the test-DSCN0422rr.jpg
  2. amnajar

WOW! Powerfull little thing! I just might have to pick one up!
  3. Jeff Martin

Those reels look like they'd be good for about a month...till you get tired of the bird nest you're spending half your day unravelling at the auto wind. Of course, given the capacity of that spool, it doesn't appear there'd be much line to unravell anyhow. Probably wouldn't work out so well on a real fish. I'd like to see that thing in 5 years. Probably at the bottom collecting sea-life...
  4. LDWF Fisheries

Well I have had the Shimano Tranx for two months. The reel is holding up great. I fished the prototypes with Larry Dalhberg and they were great. I have been catching a bunch of Yellowfin on it. I have landed roughly 7 fish over 80 lbs. On it. The biggest one going 120lb. I think this reel is a game changer. I am fishing 80lb. Powerpro on one and 100 lb. on another one. You don't lose any castibility with the larger braid. It helps you avoiding line digging when you put the heat on the fish. This reel will outcast any reel on the market!!! Which really helps reaching fish that are active on the surface. THIS REEL IS THE REAL DEAL...
  5. capttommy

Just a word about the new low profile reel made for big fish. I have used a Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60 for 2 and a half years now and can't break it. It looks like its been through the works also but it keeps on taking fish with no problems. I have mine spooled with 65 pound Berkley braid. This little reel develops over 20 pounds of drag. Don't count out the little guys they are the toughest dudes on the water. I have also used mine to jig grouper in 350 feet of water, no problems.
  6. manh3

Which phenix rod would this little reel match up with? I can't get over the fact that you can land 120lb yellows on this little reel.
  7. Ready4TheYellow

This reel has plenty of line capacity and guts to kill that 100 pound class fish.
  8. dh515

Have you actually fished this reel?
  9. johndtuttle

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. And I am being nice.
  10. (OCBB)bassHIGH

Looks like its done the trick, nice report and congrats on buying the most expensive baitcast real on the market, lol
  11. tightlinemike

I did some freelance dechand work for Mr. Jimmy Peek on his 26 regulator the past couple days and Capt. Mike rode along thursday to try out his new Tranx baitcaster on some tuna fish. we caught what may be the biggest tunas ever caught on these reels since their release with one close to 100lbs and another around 70.

What Terez rod where you using? Looked like the 7'0" XH.
  12. luna sea II

it was an xxh
  13. Jeff Martin

Someone wearing a tampon (johndtuttle) shouldn't be telling anyone they don't know "what the fuck they're talking about".

At least I don't one of those to get my fish to the gaff...pussy.

How's that for being nice...asshole.
  14. dh515

Sidestepping the BS, it's clear you have no use for this reel. At least two guys have posted opinions based on their actual use. As I value your opinion as much as anyones, I'm just trying to figure out how to classify it. So, is your opinion based on actual use? If so, please elaborate on its failings for those of us who are interested in the reel. If you haven't used it and are talking out your starfish, let us know that too. :)
  15. Smudge

Would you like to see my Shimano Curado 201's and Citica 201's that I've been using on a sport boat for the last 10 years? Those reels were designed to fish for bass in fresh water lakes. I work part time as a deckhand on a sport boat out of San Diego and abuse the shit out of my gear. Those reels work just as well if not better than the newells I have as well...

Now what makes you think a reel designed to fish in saltwater for big game fish won't hold up? Is it because it's not round and anodized gold? Is it because it's not made in the USA?

Shimano has been making very good quality fishing gear for a very long time. Your biased opinion and jaded attitude aren't going to change that fact.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  16. Smudge

Oh, and if you have a problem backlashing, you might want to practice a little more... ;)
  17. errock_22

LMAO - quote of the year.
  18. johndtuttle

LOL did I get a like?

salute :finger: brotha.

Get some experience with the tranx and share it with us otherwise, get in line, I got an inbox full of haters like you LOL.

And like I said when I replied to your little PM, it's nothing personal. lets go fishing and have some fun and learn more bout cool new stuff.

:Poop_and_Run::Pillow_Fi
  19. S Bordelon

I sure you get plenty of practice getting fish to gaff up in OH, that you get the option of what reels you choose to get the job done on a daily basis.
  20. so*CALpaddyhop

Why wouldn't anyone just use an Avet SX if they wanted a low profile reel...? Which by the way is far more low profile and better looking than the tranx...