Reel Choices....

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by coryellk, Dec 27, 2006.

1. coryellk

coryellk Fly Navy

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    When Wife makes more $...
    Saltiga 30L or Accurate 270? I'm thinking of getting one of these two reels and wanted folks to chime in (like you are prone to do). I plan to use the reel for medium offshore (albies, yellowfin, yellowtail, etc) and intend to fill it full of either 50# or 65# spectra mated to a flourocarbon shock leader (10 to 20ft) of anywhere from 25 to 40# Seaguar as the situation dictates. Other recommendations would be helpful as well... Thanks! Kevin

2. tackle junkie

tackle junkie Newbie

Name:
    Jose
    Boat:
    Prowler 13
    I have the Saltiga 20, 30T and the 40 and I love them. If you do a search on Accurate you might get an idea of some of the problems they have had in the past. On the other hand some guys swear by Accurate. I haven't had any problems with my Saltigas. If its a question of drag pressure the Saltigas have more than enough to handle medium offshore tunas and tails. If you can save an extra $100 or so you can get Accurate's new 2-speed version. Decisions, decisions...

3. brokenseal

brokenseal Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    24 skipjack "Dozer"
    I got the saltiga 30t and love it. LOTS of power. I have it spooled w/65 Jerry brown and 30 pline clear top shot, sometimes go w/floro leader. Caught 1st legal WSB (40#) at pyramid with ease and slayed huge yellows (25-30+)same day. Spanked YFT to 35# in Baja. This reel is bithchen!!!! You would not be disapointed.

4. golfneveresq

golfneveresq Newbie

Name:
    randy
    Boat:
    never again
    i have three saltigas. IMHO, finest star drag on the market.

5. alantani

alantani Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
    my 30# rigs are going to be a pair of two speed accurate 270's with 50# hollow core and 30# berkeley high test with the drags set to 15#'s at strike.

6. coryellk

coryellk Fly Navy

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    15# at strike; aggressive fishing!! I would expect no less from you... I like the Accurate for the drag and just plain engineering. I like the Saltiga for the left handedness (I prefer to do back to back/endless) casting with lefty reels. The Saltiga is renown for it's drag and bulletproof construction though. My 40# and 50# rigs are right handed Pro Gears (540) and Accurate 665's. I can cast them well enough with practice. I like the higher ratio that the Diawa has for lures and jigs. It seems with the lower ratio, the Accurate would be the better live bait reel. I'm also becoming a fan of straight spectra with fluoro shock leader. (Funny, I did that exclusively with Texas inshore fishing for years using calcutta te's and curados) It seems like some folks here are moving that direction. I think I'll just have to get both. Primarily using the Accurate for pitching live bait and use the Saltiga for irons and also as a live bait backup rig. I didn't expect to get as much support for the Saltiga. I'm sure some others will chime in... I still don't think anyone needs a two speed reel in less than 50# line.

7. alantani

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    i do. hey, i'm not proud. as for the 50% drag setting, the 30# berkeley high test is supposed to break at 47-48 pounds. forget the fluorocarbon. i want a bait that can swim, and i think they swim better dragging 30# anything then they will dragging anybody's 40#.

8. coryellk

coryellk Fly Navy

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    I think fisherman are very much like thier prey. They like shiny things! The newest shiny thing out there is two speed reels. I often laugh at my kids (not so often at my wife now...) who claim they 'need' some thing because they 'want' it. I really think very few of us fishermen, NEED a two speed reel. (I do have a two speed EXW 4/0 for 60 - 80# line) But who am I kidding? I go out and buy two of the same reel with different ratios for live bait and lures!?!?!?! It's really a 'six or one half dozen' comparison.

On a different note, I don't think there is much difference between a sardine toting 10' of 30# Seaguar or 10' of 40# Seaguar. You can almost bring a pair of good reels (Saltiga, Accurate, Pro Gear, and yes even Avets) with 50# or 65# spectra backing and run flourocarbon shock leaders from 15# to 50# depending on the fish (and thier teeth). Keep in mind that all of these reels can build 15+ pounds of drag that doesn't exceed 33% breaking strength of 50# spectra or 50# shock leader?

As for being proud... Who among us doesn't show up to the proverbial knife fight (with a fish mind you!) toting some serious firepower? I don't. You won't find me throwing rocks.

9. WreckinBall

WreckinBall The sober one

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Sea Jay, Prowler, RRIII, TG80, Royal Star, etc....
    Of those two, I'd go with the Saltiga over Accurate. I fish the 30 and the 30T, and they're both outstanding reels. But, if I didn't already own them, I would take a hard look at the Penn Torque. Same $ ballpark, and maybe too heavy, but it's got monster drag, good freespool, and it's built like a tank.

10. alantani

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    a couple of years ago i found myself on a 10 day trip with the smallest dines i'd ever seen in my life. yeah, a couple of hundred scoops worth. the smallest reel i brought with me was my old tried and true 113h yellowtail conversion. trying to cast those small baits was killing me. the charter master loaned me a saltiga 30T. i switched out the drag washers and used that reel almost exclusively the entire trip.

that reel saved my ass. the machine work and attention to detail are incredible. i recommend greased carbontex drag washers, but that's really all. for 50# spectra, a 40# topshot, and 15#'s of drag, it's a fabulous reel. oh, and i prefer the 30T to the original saltiga 30. the drag stack in the 30T is much more substantial.

11. coryellk

coryellk Fly Navy

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Thanks for the heads up! Is the 30L synonymous with the 30T or the original 30? Anyone know?