rail mount VHF antenna question

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Chesapeakechuck, Jun 15, 2006.

Share This Page

1. Chesapeakechuck

On the surface, this probably sounds pretty stupid. I mounted my 5226XT last night to a 1'' stainless rail on my roof....seems simple enough.....But, no matter how tight I make the allen screws in the mount (made by Shakespeare----it's stainless) the antenna acts like a lever and will almost certainly spin the mount on the rail....What i think I need is a small piece of rubber to act as a gripping gasket so as to prevent this undesired movement on the rail. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
  2. Papa "J"

Yeah!!! Stop asking so many fucking question and finish the boat....

Just use a bit of cork tape around the rail then install your mount.
  3. Dos Locos

Jesus fucking christ Chuck, can you do ANYTHING w/o asking a fucking question? You're a chemist for fucks sake, figure it out..... LOL LOL LOL LOL

Seriously though, you should put the flat mount stainless VHF mount on the roof of your pilot house......

[​IMG]
  4. ?? fisherman

LOL Oh gawd this is a good laugh right before going to work LOL LOL

Im with Chris, rail mounts suck big time IMO, but dont say I didnt tell you so:) . Flat mount on a base is definetely the way to go;)

The unknown fisherman:p:
  5. Papa "J"

ARE YOU GUYS OUT OF YOUR MIND TELLING cHUCK TO CHANGE THE MOUNT....NOW THE BOAT WON'T BE FINISHED FOR ANOTHER 3-4 WEEKS.:nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :rofl: :rofl:

On a semi seriously note. I did the cork tape deal on mu seaswirl 3 years ago & never had a problem.
  6. Chesapeakechuck

:D In retrospect I should probably have gone with the flat mount as I was going to do in the first place, but I'm trying to keep from making swiss cheese out of the roof and elected to consolidate my antennas all onto the rails. I think the cork tape will work---will pick some up later today somewhere...

I'm jammin to get this thing semi-seaworthy for this weekend.....
  7. FishBert

post pictures... lets see the completed project.......................

(and answer your phone once in a while.....)